Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Tuner vs. Dyno?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner vs. Dyno?!?

Fellas,

I am anxious to get a tune on my '05 V and "wake up" the car even more.

With that said I am debating whether to get a hand-held tuner (probably a diablosport predator) or have the car tuned on a dyno.

The problem I am facing is that I live in Hot Springs, Arkansas which is about a hour south west of Little Rock. As far as I can find, there is only one place in central Ark. that dyno tunes (Polk Performance) and I really don't know that much about them.

So...my questions are: is a dyno tune that much better? And, does anyone know anything about Polk Performance or any other dyno tuner in my area?

Thanks in advance,

LAW
Old 05-08-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Regular

i wouldnt bother with hand held tuners or mail order tunes. dyno/street tune is the way to go, theres gotta be a local guy who is good at tuning LSx motors
Old 05-08-2010, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Everyone says dyno tune is the way to go, but I'm not real certain that a good dyno comparo has been performed. I can testify that I bought a Diablo from ebay for a discount price and have nothing but good things to say.

I tuned the ltft's off of a guide on the diablo site - I added some timing - retuned the ltft's - then added headers - and retuned the ltft's again. Straight up huge seat of the pants difference in all three changes. I have NO DYNO results as of yet. I've got some mods on the horizon and SNL will be doing a before and after tune. I will request at the time to do a before with and without diablo run just so I can see what the actual difference was. (If they'll oblige, I'll definitely post up the results.)

DO NOT PAY FULL PRICE FOR A DIABLO though. There are plenty of folks that buy them and end up disgusted by not educating themselves on their use. Make sure you pay via paypal so if it shows up still mated to a VIN you can get your money back. (I got a mated one before my unmated was found.)

Would I do it again? Absolutely - SNL is the nearest tuner with a good rep for me and they're 3 hours away. So this was a great stopgap IMO to $450-500 for a full tune.

It's all up to you sir, but don't let anyone discount the value of a handheld... you can't just slap the pre-sets in and leap for joy though.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I say find a local guy that knows how to tune and take him dinner. Then all you have to get is hptuners and you can get as many tunes as you want.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much could I gain in a dyno tune? Range?
Old 05-08-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

IMHO, handhelds are just a safe start-off point. A dyno-tune is the best bet. Not that handhelds don't have their spot in the self tuning world, but they are no match for a good dyno & tuner.
As far as Polk is concerned, I would be posting this query in the regional portion of the forum where Polk is located, (state).
Also, did you do a search under Polk, Polk tuning, Polk dyno-tuning? Polk in Arkansas?
HTH
Old 05-08-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by greddy91
Everyone says dyno tune is the way to go, but I'm not real certain that a good dyno comparo has been performed. I can testify that I bought a Diablo from ebay for a discount price and have nothing but good things to say.

I tuned the ltft's off of a guide on the diablo site - I added some timing - retuned the ltft's - then added headers - and retuned the ltft's again. Straight up huge seat of the pants difference in all three changes. I have NO DYNO results as of yet. I've got some mods on the horizon and SNL will be doing a before and after tune. I will request at the time to do a before with and without diablo run just so I can see what the actual difference was. (If they'll oblige, I'll definitely post up the results.)

DO NOT PAY FULL PRICE FOR A DIABLO though. There are plenty of folks that buy them and end up disgusted by not educating themselves on their use. Make sure you pay via paypal so if it shows up still mated to a VIN you can get your money back. (I got a mated one before my unmated was found.)

Would I do it again? Absolutely - SNL is the nearest tuner with a good rep for me and they're 3 hours away. So this was a great stopgap IMO to $450-500 for a full tune.

It's all up to you sir, but don't let anyone discount the value of a handheld... you can't just slap the pre-sets in and leap for joy though.
theres alot more to tuning a car than ltft's and timing. specially if u did it without a wideband. get a real tune will be a big difference

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
I say find a local guy that knows how to tune and take him dinner. Then all you have to get is hptuners and you can get as many tunes as you want.
i agree with him, it may not be a dyno tune but street tunes are good as well. just find a guy with good experience

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
How much could I gain in a dyno tune? Range?
itslowz28 or something like that with an 05 gained i think 30whp with tune for his intake and muffler delete. but since u have an intake u should get a tune soon, changing the intake on ls6's and ls2's lean out the car and most the time makes them run like crap
Old 05-08-2010, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input fellas...great stuff.

Anybody from the same area as me and have experience with a good dyno tune shop or Polk Performance in particular?

LAW
Old 05-08-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep 33hp from a dynotune, i actually had a superchips handheld on my V and did a baseline to be curious before they retuned it for nitrous, they had to shut it down before it even got to 5k rpms because it was going way lean. Just goes to show you that canned tunes arent for every car. Get a dyno tune, or wait until you do more mods to take even more advantage of the tune. Most companies charge like 400 for the first tune, and drop the price for retunes from ther on out.

Also, just an FYI is my tuner had just picked up a stock 04 V for his daily driver so he spent hours tuning his own before mine which gave him quite a bit of knowledge before tuning mine.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah my 04's still a stocker...tlkd to a friend who's a Camaro fanatic, he suggested that I get some mods under my belt before I spend any $ on a tune..or I'd be right back wanting her tuned again....STILL waiting on USPS for my motor mounts before I start changing the Caddy. Going for a muffler delete and CAI next week, woulda been this week had my parts arrived....and the CAGS delete was worth every penny

Quick Reply: Tuner vs. Dyno?!?