LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 lt issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 383 lt issue

Well guys I had the car at the track first time last night.... Had an issue, long storey short it's a built 383 etc... Starting out spraying 150, car has been tuned etc... I had to upgrade injectors but still havnt had the chance to swap pumps but here is what happened, car was missing on the kit pretty gd and at the top of 2nd it popped pretty good, so after that the car has a pretty good miss when u drive it but if it's idling it seems ok and revs ok only misses pretty bad while driving.... I pulled plugs and they were super lean (hazed in a green tint).... What would u guys think the problem is.... Btw oil psi and temp still stays great!!!! Any helpful info would be great....

as of today i went ahead and pulled heads, and everything looked good.. no blown head gasket, pistons, valves and all look good....

IM STUMPED......................
Old 05-08-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

What injectors are in the car?

What are you using to pull timing, or didn't you?

Did you put the old injectors back in and are still driving on them with a bad plug?
Old 05-08-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

your not using a projected tip plug are you? what was your bottle pressure..and the condtions outside..colder it is and outside the more fuel you need and if your pc or fuel pump cant handle the load then well you spit pop and sputter from being to lean.

like was already said how much timing did you pull? is it a wet or dry kit
Old 05-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Resident Racing Jerk

1. did the plugs look ok other than "lean"?

2. why did you pull the heads? did you have low compression on a couple cylinders?

sounds to me like you have a burned plug wire or something like that to miss under a load. after a nitrous pass, my plugs look brand spankin new without a tint of anything on them.
first thing i would have done in your shoes is pull plugs, make sure they were fine, and then a quick compression test to make sure everything was ok in the cylinders. after that i would look at plug wires or something else. maybe a bum'd up maf from a backfire (if it backfired through the intake)
Old 05-09-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by domestic disturbance
... I had to upgrade injectors but still havnt had the chance to swap pumps ..........
...so you did not check FP at "sustained" WOT with the bigger injectors?

stock FP most likely is not keeping up thus leaning out.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like a plug wire
Old 05-09-2010, 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

well guys it was the opti once again, and yah it sucks i dunno what im gona do about keeping a opti on the car, this is the second one within 500 miles on motor... but i broke it down bc i thought i may have got something as a head gasket, valve, or piston... so i went ahead and broke it apart!
Old 05-09-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

go to the new ls1 pcm connect system, cant remember what its called exactly but it tosses the opti and gives a much wider range of tuning options.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

Originally Posted by domestic disturbance
i broke it down bc i thought i may have got something as a head gasket, valve, or piston... so i went ahead and broke it apart!
next time go to the parts store and buy yourself a $40 compression tester. you would have learned more with one of those than by taking the engine apart. even pulling the heads wont tell you when youve got broken rings or something like that.

as far as the opti, make sure your dowel pin isnt too long on the cam.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

well This time the opti like melted, as in last time the opti came apart... so it broke two diff ways... Ive heard wrong cam bolts will cause optis to do some issues, but i will try n get it figured out...... anyone else had major problems with keeping optis alive in the car?

Quick Reply: 383 lt issue