Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Doors lock sometimes, and sometimes they dont

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doors lock sometimes, and sometimes they dont

I've read a bunch of threads, did a few searches, and can't seem to figure out my problem. I'm looking into the BCM, but here's the deal. My car just got out here from Hawaii. Somewhere between me dropping it off and picking it up, the inside of the car got soaked. It appeared to be mostly in the back seat area and under the passenger's front seat. My remote stopped unlocking my car for some reason, so I put a new battery in it and it still wouldn't unlock. So I tried my other remote. Still nothing. All of a sudden it would would again, then stop for no reason. I had a new Viper alarm installed yesterday, hoping this would solve the issue. Now my car disarms, but the locks still choose when THEY want to unlock. I can unlock the car with the key, but I'd like for the alarm to disarm the same time it unlocks the doors, like it's supposed to. Any ideas? Like I said, I'm looking into the BCM thing, but if it was electrical, I thought that stuff either worked, or didn't. It seems weird that it would work sometimes and not others.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

I have much the same problem that has me perplexed and has for years. My driver door only locks when it wants (never) but it will unlock every time. The passenger door locks and unlocks just fine every time. I have pulled and soldered the BCM in the magical 'T' and still nothing has improved. I was thinking it could've been the actuator but since it unlocks I don't know if that is correct.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Teching In

OK, something else to add.. Now while driving down the road, my car alarm just starts going off very embarrassing.. I got over the unlock part for now. I just disarm it then I use the key to unlock it. Today I was driving home and the alarm started going off. I hit unlock button and it stopped, then it did it 3 more times. WHAT THE EFF?!?!?!?!
Old 05-22-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the issue with the locks not always locking. Traced it down to the 4 relays in the BCM. Wasn't sure which ones did which so I just replaced all 4 relays. Locks have been perfect since.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Relays you say huh? Can you let me know which ones they were? A pic would be great.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright i had this problem but I caused my problem when I sound deadened the door. I covered as much as possible and left a slit for the rod which has caused the problem because the mat sticks itself together. lesson learned. If any of you have your doors deadened that maybe your issue. I have not fix mine yet but move the locks manually see if they stick. This will fix for a time period till it sticks together again.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine started doingthat after i got drunk and threw my keys..

i got drunk and threw them again, works fine now.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mySStery_machine
Relays you say huh? Can you let me know which ones they were? A pic would be great.
Can't really get a pic since the BCM is in the car and there is no way I'm yanking that thing again unless I have to, a pain to get out

But it is pretty obvious when you open it up. There is a big tall relay (which is for the residual power for the radio and windows) then 4 shorter relays in a square pattern that do the door locks and arming the alarm and all that. I never figured out exactly which relay is which, so I just replaced all 4 (they are all identical).