Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

E3 spark plugs???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 03:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default E3 spark plugs???

is anybody running these in their V? just curious on how they are workin out for ya? i was thinkin of tryin them out but i wanted some feedback first.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

absolute junk, never tried them and never would. stick to NGK tr55s if your stock.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've got em, nothing funky on the dyno, sounds right, sparks right, no...there's no difference in fuel economy. I usually use all NGK myself, but opted to try these.

Not sure how you can claim junk if you don't test them yourself. Every new product gets the junk or miracle label somehow. If in doubt, go with NGK as they are proven. I will go back with NGK next time since i saw no gains in power or efficiency w/ these E3s.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Teching In

When we (NGK) tested these plugs they found them to be comparable in performance to one of our conventional J-gap nickel plugs, e.g. BKR5ES which is for the most part all of a $1.99 spark plug, nothing fancy.

So while they weren't found to be terrible or anything they also weren't any better than a standard $2 plug. So switching to a fine wire electrode plug like a platinum or iridium would definitely outperform it and may still be less expensive than the E-3. Just my 2 cents
Old 05-10-2010, 11:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We've had a few customers simply insist on the E3's instead of the usual NGK's that we stock and run the majority of the time. The downside is, we've had quite a few of the E3's defective right out of the box (cracked mostly)....this might not be E3's fault and may be more on the distributor and/or shippers that get them to us here locally, but we've had nothing but grief from them none-the-less.

Nice to see NGK on the forum! We stock and run a ton of NGK plugs with great success!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 05-10-2010, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
We've had a few customers simply insist on the E3's instead of the usual NGK's that we stock and run the majority of the time. The downside is, we've had quite a few of the E3's defective right out of the box (cracked mostly)....this might not be E3's fault and may be more on the distributor and/or shippers that get them to us here locally, but we've had nothing but grief from them none-the-less.

Nice to see NGK on the forum! We stock and run a ton of NGK plugs with great success!
i agree, nice to know NGK is on board since most of us in these circles do use them. I lost count of how many used TR6s i waded through while cleaning out my garage last week.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess it's ngk tr55's and some msd wires.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys I actually just bought a 2005 CTS-V so I'll def be spending some time here learning.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where can I get a good deAl on some msd wires? Anybody know?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by alan2000T/A
i've got em, nothing funky on the dyno, sounds right, sparks right, no...there's no difference in fuel economy. I usually use all NGK myself, but opted to try these.

Not sure how you can claim junk if you don't test them yourself. Every new product gets the junk or miracle label somehow. If in doubt, go with NGK as they are proven. I will go back with NGK next time since i saw no gains in power or efficiency w/ these E3s.
Ive had a couple friends try then in their mustangs and took them out almost immediately. Kept getting random misfires and stuff like that. I wouldnt claim they were junk for no reason. Everyone reads the hype on the commercials and advertising. I guess its all personal opinion but why switch from a plug that works. How much can you really expect to gain on a basically stock car anyways?
Old 05-11-2010, 08:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Ive had a couple friends try then in their mustangs and took them out almost immediately. Kept getting random misfires and stuff like that. I wouldnt claim they were junk for no reason. Everyone reads the hype on the commercials and advertising. I guess its all personal opinion but why switch from a plug that works. How much can you really expect to gain on a basically stock car anyways?
i needed plugs and since we were doing the HP Tuners lean cruise to see how much MPGs i could get, i gave them a whirl with no found benefit. I guess i'm glad i had no missfires after reading this thread though.

Quick Reply: E3 spark plugs???