LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel Line Leak - Intake Hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Line Leak - Intake Hot

I finished my header install last week and have been driving the car since. It has been running without incident, but today I noticed at lunch and after work that it was just a little bit slow cranking. I also noticed the smell of fuel around it. This evening I was out in the garage and popped the hood. I noticed that the larger fuel line is leaking a bit near the rear of the intake. I started feeling around and put my hand on the fpr and noticed it was HOT!! I then put my hand on the intake and noticed it was also hot. Too hot to keep my hand on for even 1 second. And the car has been sitting out there for over just over an hour. I can put my hand on the headers and they are much much cooler than the intake and fpr. WTF!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Perhaps your fuel pressure regulator took a dump. Pop off the vacuum line and see if any fuel comes out when you prime the system. Also, get a fuel pressure test gauge to verify whatever is going on back there.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Perhaps your fuel pressure regulator took a dump. Pop off the vacuum line and see if any fuel comes out when you prime the system. Also, get a fuel pressure test gauge to verify whatever is going on back there.
I checked the vacuum line. No gas smell there. That fpr only has about 3k miles on it. I can tell where the leak is. My main concern here is the heat of the intake. I never noticed it taking that long to cool down. Is that normal for it to be hot long after the headers are cool?
Old 05-10-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds normal to me to be honest. Engine bays get warm, and there likely isn't much air circulation up under the cowl.

Where is the fuel coming from, the connection on the fuel rail? I'd definitely have that fixed ASAP - that's a fire waiting to happen. How much is leaking?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Sounds normal to me to be honest. Engine bays get warm, and there likely isn't much air circulation up under the cowl.

Where is the fuel coming from, the connection on the fuel rail? I'd definitely have that fixed ASAP - that's a fire waiting to happen. How much is leaking?
It feels like the metal elbow is corroded on bottom and has a small leak. It is not dripping, just enough to feel moisture on it. Yeah, its not going anywhere until I pay a visit to the parts store. I may use this as a chance to install quick-connects so I can stop using that pita fuel-line tool.