Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Security light next to speedo prevents me from starting the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security light next to speedo prevents me from starting the car

I have an aftermarket security system that the previous owner put in, much to my chagrin. Its the kind where you put an extra key into an extra socket they installed below the steering wheel.

Car won't start until I wait a while and try it a couple of times.
Has anyone had this problem?
Old 05-12-2010, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

the chip might be getting worn or fitting loose. You might want to check the manufacturer and give them a call with your issue.

This happened to me one time and i had the key chip replace and everything worked great.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Try cleaning the chip on your key and see if it helps.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:27 PM

Default re:

The light, right next to the chip, is green, but the security light on the dash is lit up. If the chip says its green then I don't think the chip itself is at fault.

thanks anyway.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OmacrusZ28
The light, right next to the chip, is green, but the security light on the dash is lit up. If the chip says its green then I don't think the chip itself is at fault.

thanks anyway.
Sounds like your VATS has taken a dump and on the LS1 cars I believe this is tied to the BCM.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by OmacrusZ28

thanks anyway.
He was refering to the chip (pellet) in your ignition key. The one and only reason that the security light in the instrument cluster will light up (other than the startup self-test) is when the Vehicle Anti Theft System (VATS) in the Body Control Module (BCM) thinks that the wrong key is being used because the resistance of the pellet on the key doesn't match its stored value. Your owner's manual explains in more detail.

The light on the extra key holder only indicates that there is a completed circuit... not that the correct resistance value is being read.

You can find plenty of information about fixing and/or bypassing VATS in this forum by doing a search on "VATS".
Old 05-12-2010, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

or you can also go change the chip to match your vats resistance.That is always an option. Or have the chip rewire to only affect power to the starter or any other component instead of your ignition or vats.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

that God forsaken light has been the vain of my existence for years i hate that thing it would come on like 10 times before my car would start and in 95 degree heat i would almost just wanna leave the damn car. easiest fix ever though..... buy a resistor the same resistence as the pellet in your key unplug the wire going to the bcm and stick the resistor that was now bent to a "U" shape and slide it in the end of the plug and presto you are up an rolling no problem best .05 i ever spent!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:12 PM

is there an easy way of disabling this security feature?
I want to be able to start my car without this security thing going on all the time.

is there some fuse I can disable it with?

thanks
Pascal
Old 05-12-2010, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

the body module could be gettin wet
Old 05-12-2010, 09:29 PM

Default re

Thanks for all the Suggestions.
I'm going to try cleaning the key and the ignition body inside, like the VATS thread said.

thanks.
Pascal