Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter wire pin location?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Starter wire pin location?

O.k I am doing a swap into a 77 c10 and I believe I have evrything I need but the only wire I need now is the starter wire. Here is what I have..
2003 5.3L/4L60E out of a Tahoe, It is drive by wire and I am keepin the drive by wire setup. The computer I have is the red and blue connector. I have been on lt1swap.com and found no info on the starter wire. Here is a link that shows the connectors that I have. post #11 shows the pics..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ng-basics.html
It also says this on post #13.. C1 connector (GM designation) (light grey color) contains the starter solenoid wire, position C10, purple with white trace. Connect this to the wire that went to your old starter solenoid.
Well, my c1 connector has a light green wire and no where on the c1 connector does it have a purple with white trace wire. My c2 connector does but it goes to the neutral safety switch. Can anyone help me out?
I just need to know what pin location the wire is in so I can pull it out and hook it up to my truck. Thanks alot
Old 05-12-2010, 09:39 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep it changed when they went to the green/blue PCM`s.

The new starter relay wire is A3 yellow on C1 the light gray connector. If you removed the PRNDL switch and its wiring you will have to put a jumper wire between C2 black connector position F9 and F11.

Also you have to either have a PRNDL switch or a PN switch for this wiring to work. If you set the PRNDL equipped to none the PCM will never enable the starter solenoid because it thinks you are always in gear.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by G-Body
Yep it changed when they went to the green/blue PCM`s.

The new starter relay wire is A3 yellow on C1 the light gray connector. If you removed the PRNDL switch and its wiring you will have to put a jumper wire between C2 black connector position F9 and F11.

Also you have to either have a PRNDL switch or a PN switch for this wiring to work. If you set the PRNDL equipped to none the PCM will never enable the starter solenoid because it thinks you are always in gear.
I don't have the green/blue pcm. The one I have is the red/blue. Is your info still the same for the red/blue pcm?
Old 05-13-2010, 02:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two things you need, the wire from the C10's starter relay and the wire that goes to the Tahoe starter. It appears you are looking for the Tahoe starter wire and I assume you don't have schematics. The starter wire will be on the large engine connector that plugged to the tahoe fuse block. If you can get the tahoe fuse block, plug your connector in, locate the starter relay in the owner's manual (can usually find for free). The starter wire will be larger diameter than most other wires and will go to that relay. To verify, look on the starter and see if there is a wire of that color/diameter. If you can't get the fuse block, look on the starter and find the control wire, then look on your connector for it, again, it should be the largest or one of the largest wires. My LS1 starter wire is purple and the only large diameter wire on the connector. (This all assumes no one gives you the answer you need).
Old 05-13-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
I don't have the green/blue pcm. The one I have is the red/blue. Is your info still the same for the red/blue pcm?
The red/blue PCM doesn't know or care about the starter solenoid trigger wire, there's no pin for it. Direct fed from the ignition switch to the starter enable relay to the starter solenoid.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by crainholio
The red/blue PCM doesn't know or care about the starter solenoid trigger wire, there's no pin for it. Direct fed from the ignition switch to the starter enable relay to the starter solenoid.
There is a wire that hooks up to connector c1 or c2. It does matter if it is a blue/red or green/blue as the harnesses that I have seen and studied are different. I recieved a message from Brendan Patten who created LT1SWAP.com and gave me this info.." It will be at the C2, it will be a heavy gauge purple wire. You can't miss it. its about 10 or 12 AWG wire, only one in the block."... So as you can see there is a pin for it and it is not directly fed from the ignition switch to the starter. Thanks alot to the guys who gave me valuable information and no thanks to the guy who says it doesn't matter. Hope you don't give anyone anymore info and send them on a wild goose chase.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

There is a wire that hooks up to connector c1 or c2. It does matter if it is a blue/red or green/blue as the harnesses that I have seen and studied are different. I recieved a message from Brendan Patten who created LT1SWAP.com and gave me this info.." It will be at the C2, it will be a heavy gauge purple wire. You can't miss it. its about 10 or 12 AWG wire, only one in the block."... So as you can see there is a pin for it and it is not directly fed from the ignition switch to the starter. Thanks alot to the guys who gave me valuable information and no thanks to the guy who says it doesn't matter. Hope you don't give anyone anymore info and send them on a wild goose chase.
I suppose it's possible the Helms wiring diagram I used 5 years ago when I did my LS1 swap is wrong...

And you wrote this:

So as you can see there is a pin for it and it is not directly fed from the ignition switch to the starter.
In response to what I posted:

Direct fed from the ignition switch to the starter enable relay to the starter solenoid.
I suggest you have somebody read for you.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

I pulled my '01 F-Body Helm books off the shelf and re-checked myself, don't want to be giving out bad advice.

I stand by my earlier post, except that there is either a clutch switch or Park/Neutral switch in series to prevent the starter solenoid from being powered unsafely.

Let us know if you find the heavy gauge purple wire on your red/blue PCM C2 connector block, that would be good info. It's possible the truck harness has this pin, I'm looking at a Camaro/Firebird diagram and there is no such animal.

Mine's wired from my car's ignition switch to LS1 harness connector C102, heavy gauge purple wire which connects to the starter solenoid. Very simple and no BCM or relays to spin the starter. I don't presently have the clutch safety switch wired, just remember to push in the clutch pedal when cranking.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

I pulled my '01 F-Body Helm books off the shelf and re-checked myself, don't want to be giving out bad advice.

I stand by my earlier post, except that there is either a clutch switch or Park/Neutral switch in series to prevent the starter solenoid from being powered unsafely.

Let us know if you find the heavy gauge purple wire on your red/blue PCM C2 connector block, that would be good info. It's possible the truck harness has this pin, I'm looking at a Camaro/Firebird diagram and there is no such animal.

Mine's wired from my car's ignition switch to LS1 harness connector C102, heavy gauge purple wire which connects to the starter solenoid. Very simple and no BCM or relays to spin the starter. I don't presently have the clutch safety switch wired, just remember to push in the clutch pedal when cranking.
Ha ha, I am always talkin ****... I did find the purple wire in my c2 connector and it worked. Thanks for the help, oh and don't read too much into me telling you not to be giving advice. I'm just a dick about everything.

Quick Reply: Starter wire pin location?