General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

sputtering issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sputtering issue

just got done fixing my alternator issue, drove the car about 60miles with no problems then all the sudden when I stepped on the gas car sputters then got to a point it keptd doing it so I pulled over made sure everything is plugged in only thing I found was my coolant temp sensor was unplugged
so I plugged that in drove bout 2miles no issues kepted doin it. so didnt wana fucked my car up more then it already is so I just towed it home

car starts right up but when I still step on the gas pedal, still same ****

anyidea what I should look into??

just bought it in Feb with 92,500k
car: 99" camaro m6 with 94,000k as of today

already replaced the water pump, termostat, battery, o2 sensors & a purge valve! car's stock..
Old 05-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Launching!

How is your fuel pressure i would check that first and when it sputters does it stall? Whats the rpms at when at idle?
Old 05-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

k I just went started my car few sec ago

wow first I ever had a start up like this.
I cranked it sputtered real.. bad and blue cloud came out MY RPM gauge was fluctuating between 100-1000RPMS

it idels at like I wana say 850-900RPMS something like that

after it idel fine.. I turned the car off waited a min, restarted the car it started right up too

Last edited by willis b otch; 05-13-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Launching!

To me it sounds like one of two things could be ignition or fuel. Go get a fuel pressure tester. Auto zone rents them out just so you can rule out one of the two. Just check the psi which should roughly be around 41psi. Also does it start right up or does it crank for a little bit then engage. When you turn it into the on position can you hear the fuel pump?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

starts right up but here and there it does take longer then usuall on a just a few start up's it hasnt got to a point where you hear it really trying to start. but that lasted start is really worring me cause of that blue smoke that came out & thats never happen to me before. and every time I turned the key I can hear my fuel pump turn on loud & clear
Old 05-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Launching!

Could be the ignition check all of the coils make sure they are getting the proper voltage. Usually blue smoke means UN burned fuel. But still I would check the fuel pressure and your spark.

Last edited by Drew24; 05-14-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by willis b otch
starts right up but here and there it does take longer then usuall on a just a few start up's it hasnt got to a point where you hear it really trying to start. but that lasted start is really worring me cause of that blue smoke that came out & thats never happen to me before. and every time I turned the key I can hear my fuel pump turn on loud & clear
Blue-ish and/or white-ish colored smoke is oil. Black smoke is when you're rich or burning fuel.

You could have a blown valve seal(s).

If you go WOT from a steady cruising speed of like 50mph do you leave a trail of bluish/white smoke.....then it slowly clears up as you keep the pedal down?
See if that happens, if it does, you need new valve seals.

But man, it could be a bunch of other things that cause sputtering. When's the last time you changed your fuel filter?

Old 05-14-2010, 01:25 AM
Teching In

It sputters usually means its opti ia going bad...could be the wires but most likely the opti....could be fuel....but probably the opti...Bluish white smoke is oil...not related to the sputer IMHO....probably the opti and perhaps water pump needs replacing at the same time.
This is expensive to do correctly...the GM opti is the only reliable one....the harness connecting it to the ECM may be bad too - but most likely the opti. I feel your pain and have suffered the same symptoms with the same year Z28 car.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:56 AM
Staging Lane

well for sure I can hear the fuel pump prime everytime I turned the key, Ima changed the plugs & fuel filter if I dont get a smooth heart beat then I'll tested the fuel pump lol
Old 05-14-2010, 02:04 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by maddog05
It sputters usually means its opti ia going bad...could be the wires but most likely the opti....could be fuel....but probably the opti...Bluish white smoke is oil...not related to the sputer IMHO....probably the opti and perhaps water pump needs replacing at the same time.
This is expensive to do correctly...the GM opti is the only reliable one....the harness connecting it to the ECM may be bad too - but most likely the opti. I feel your pain and have suffered the same symptoms with the same year Z28 car.
His car is a 1999...I thought the opti spark was the LT1 stuff.....no?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS6427
His car is a 1999...I thought the opti spark was the LT1 stuff.....no?

Haha yes it is. But still could be one of the coils
Old 05-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

well after changing the plugs and the fuel filter, what a diffrence the car made. but after driving bout 120 miles outta no where that same sputter **** came back again. Once again everytime I turned that key I can still hear that fuel pump prime. This time the car idels lil jumpy like if I was barley stepping on the gas pedal when Im not even behind the wheel or moving the throttle. So now I just dont know where to look into besides checking the fuel pump. my local autozone doesnt have that fuel pump tester so Im goin to the next town over to get it. but before I tear into the gas tank where should I look into? only sensor I need to get is that coolant temp sen. I would take video to show you guys whats goin on but cant find my camera