General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help my new to me camaro has a loose steering colum!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my new to me camaro has a loose steering colum!

Hi all just purchased my 1st ls1 camaro. m6 92k 1 owner no winters however I did not know on the test drive the colum would rock on hard turns. It locka on the drivers side however the r side of the steering whel moves as if it were a table w 1 slightly short leg. the tilt works and holds the adjustment however you can move it 1/2 inch side to side. any ideas? or do I need a new colum. any help would be greatly appriciated
thanks dan
Old 05-15-2010, 03:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Is it the entire column that's loose, or just the part starting at the tilt area that goes to the steering wheel?

I had a 3rd gen that came loose at the tilt section, that was annoying as hell. It's just a matter of tearing into the column until you can reach the bolts that have come loose at the tilting point. But that won't help you if your whole column is loose.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Teching In

just the tilt is loose, the colum side to side is tight, it rocks from 4 to 10 oclock any ideas how to tighten?
Old 05-16-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine starting doing it last summer, more straight up and down though like the tilt mechanism loosened up. i have an 02.
there are 4 bolts inside behind the wheel that fastens the tilt column, rumor has it GM didn't use loctite on them so they can loosen over time and cause the problem.
the best way i know of is to pull the steering column out of the car, get it on a bench go in and retighten the bolts using loctite. do a google and you will come across it with pics.
don't worry about the wheel falling off or losing steering, that can't happen. it's just an annoyance problem. i considered doing mine over this past winter but never got around to it, maybe this winter, mine seems to be not as bad for now.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Teching In

thanks a lot I inspected it further today it only moves when you press on the wheel at 7 oclock no the forementioned spots. I will try to remidy this this week thanks for the input guys.
dan
Old 05-28-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

same problem here.

just tried to get a state inspection and they guy failed me because the column was "loose". it is able to move up and down maybe 1/8".

did a search on google, couldn't find a write up with pics from an ls1 car.

does anyone have a link that describes this repair?

thanks
tony
Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Teching In

I just bought an 01 Firebird that has this problem. Does anyone have a link to pictures and instructions. I really like pictures.
Thanks,
Brad
Old 10-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf
Old 10-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Teching In

WOW!
More detail than I think I need. This seems to be a general discussion of how to build a steering column. This person does make mention of a second article on fixing the wobble. I guess I'll head over to crankshaftcoalition.com
Old 10-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Teching In

No luck at crankshaftcoalition.com

Hey. Does anyone know of a good shop in the Chicago area that can handle this repair?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by bowlingbrad
No luck at crankshaftcoalition.com

Hey. Does anyone know of a good shop in the Chicago area that can handle this repair?
Anyone who knows GM steering columns. Inside - they are hardly changed since the 1960's.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Teching In

^^^^ correct. I rebuilt my column about 6 months ago. But the tilt "knuckle" I call it had a "wallered" out hole where the Torx bolt goes into (behind the ignition tumbler. I used the parts out of a column that was in a 89' chevy pickup.
As far as it being loose, like already stated, its those torx bolts. Fairly easy job to do. Just take your time working your way through it. Also sort of self explained as your tearing apart. You will need a steering wheel removal tool (rent at most auto part stores, oreillys, auto zone, etc.) to pull the wheel, at least I did. Removed the air bag, and continue through. If you have radio controls on your steering wheel dont forget to re-connect them lol.

Quick Reply: Help my new to me camaro has a loose steering colum!