Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Multiple T56 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple T56 Problems

Bought this T/A 2 wks ago, it has an A4 to T56 swap, LS7 clutch and a short shifter.

Heres my question, are all these problems connected or are they seperate problems by themselves because of a shitty swap job. Here they are......

1. Main problem: Reverse pops out, does it from a stop and when in motion, guy told me the T56 had 30,000 miles and the clutch was about 3 months old.

2. The reverse lockout isn't working (gotta be real slow and thorough when going from 4th to 5th) if i try slamming from 4 to 5 it slips to R and grinds like a ****.

3. I start the car in nutreal, go to shift into 1st and right before it engages it gives me a quick grind or vibration, disengage clutch and im on my way.

4. I installed the Lous short stick today and the ABOVE problem happen while in motion banging gears (did it twice going 2nd to 3rd)

5. Jacked the car today and got under to look around and Holy @#$% the transmission is covered in gunk( a finger inspection turns up tranny fluid) it doesn't seem to be leaving excessive pavement stains though, there was alot of loose wires hanging down by the tranny don't know if they are old A4 wires that aren't needed.

6. I'm broke
Old 05-18-2010, 11:28 AM
tx3
Launching!

lookin like a tranny rebuild is needed..
Old 05-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Bump for some answers
Old 05-18-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

you;re in the same boat i am. looking into a rebuild for myself, and like number 6, im broke lol
Old 05-19-2010, 12:29 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Yep, it is inevitable.....you will need a rebuild. I have the best prices check out my sig. The good news is that we normally don't have to replace the reverse synchro assembly. It can simply be flipped over to the side that is not used. Only one of the two sides are used so it has "two lives" if you will.. Hope this helps
Old 05-21-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

My tranny is in need of a rebuild I think. 1st gear is getting hard to get into from a stop, especially when its hot outside. Sometimes 1st grinds when downshifting to a stop or around a curve and reverse is a bitch to get into sometimes. I have to use 2 hands to push the shifter over and up and it wont go in. I have to fanagle with it until it goes in and sometimes it grinds when it does and I just have to play with it until it doesnt grind to get it in.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2000KnightRider
My tranny is in need of a rebuild I think. 1st gear is getting hard to get into from a stop, especially when its hot outside. Sometimes 1st grinds when downshifting to a stop or around a curve and reverse is a bitch to get into sometimes. I have to use 2 hands to push the shifter over and up and it wont go in. I have to fanagle with it until it goes in and sometimes it grinds when it does and I just have to play with it until it doesnt grind to get it in.
Sounds like a possible clutch hydraulic issue to me.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated, sounds like a rebuild is definitely needed. In the meantime, with all those wires hanging down and the reverse lockout keeping you out of reverse, there's a good chance the wire that plugs in to control the reverse lockout is unplugged. I would tell you exactly which one it is but I don't have a car to get under at the moment. Maybe someone else knows.

As far as the rest of it goes, that trans sounds like it's in poor shape. I'd get it out and apart or to a reliable shop as soon as possible.

Quick Reply: Multiple T56 Problems