Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone built an in-car VHT sprayer/applier?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Question Anyone built an in-car VHT sprayer/applier?

Hey guys I thought about building something that would allow me to stealthily apply VHT to my tires on the starting line prior to my burnout from inside the car w/o anyone else noticing.

Has anyone else done anything like this?

Thanks!!

EDIT: I am not interested in an opinion about a better way, etc, etc. If you haven't done something like I asked, please just move on and don't bother yourself with posting a reply. Thanks.

Last edited by Ford_Assassin; 05-18-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Added details...
Old 05-18-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hooking up isn't just from VHT, it's a combination of VHT and fresh rubber. Ever notice how the "groove" at a good track is cloudy in appearance, while beside that is shiny because it's VHT only? That part doesn't hook, I've tried it!

People talk about VHT sprayers all the time. On the street, it may help some, but keep in mind all the stones you could pick up if you drive more than a few feet afterwards.

At the track, they see you sprayin something on their track (it would be hard to miss) they wont be too happy!

Al
Old 05-18-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by T6Rocket
Hooking up isn't just from VHT, it's a combination of VHT and fresh rubber. Ever notice how the "groove" at a good track is cloudy in appearance, while beside that is shiny because it's VHT only? That part doesn't hook, I've tried it!

People talk about VHT sprayers all the time. On the street, it may help some, but keep in mind all the stones you could pick up if you drive more than a few feet afterwards.

At the track, they see you sprayin something on their track (it would be hard to miss) they wont be too happy!

Al
Great, you've been a big help....
Old 05-18-2010, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Pretty much all you would need is a washer tank that would be able to spray it over the tires.

The so called "groove" at the track, everyone of my best times has been when i put the car on the VHT and not where everyone else has been.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:05 PM
9 Second Club

I've thought of this myself. You said "prior" to the burnout?
I was thinking just after the burnout when rolling to the staging lights.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Depending on how good the track officials are they will pick up on it when they see a wet line following you...wait you said before the burnout??? How about when your rolling out of it...

Anywho maybe you could attach something like a nitrous nozel in the top of the fender well that would spray down onto the tire...you could hide everything under the spare tire cover...just a thought
Old 05-18-2010, 05:38 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done it. The nozzle clogs after the first use. Very high maintenance.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TS6
I've done it. The nozzle clogs after the first use. Very high maintenance.
Just run alcohol through the system after the nights over...
Old 05-18-2010, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

There were some old timers that used to street race here back in the day. Apparently they used to fill their washer jugs with whatever mix they thought would help, some have actually sworn by honey and rubbing alcohol, and route the hoses to come out infront of the rear tires.

I'm skeptical but I'm just a young punk, what do I know.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

From what I have heard vht has to dry before it is sticky. So a rolling burnout and spaying then backing up would be the best bet I think. Good luck on getting it set up. I have thought about something like this for my truck but I have too many projects to finish before starting a new one.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by custm2500
From what I have heard vht has to dry before it is sticky. So a rolling burnout and spaying then backing up would be the best bet I think. Good luck on getting it set up. I have thought about something like this for my truck but I have too many projects to finish before starting a new one.
If you're gonna wait until the VHT dries, you will be waiting a LONG *** time. lol

I've had a few gallons myself, and that stuff is sticky period! One jug is right at 3 years old and I spilled a small amount on the bottle when I first bought it. It still isn't dry and is still quite tacky (similar feel as a glue mouse trap.)
Old 05-18-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've used VHT alot in my street racing days. Usually for the best results we would use it in a bug sprayer cut down a bit with menthol to make it easier to spray and keep from getting clogged. We'd just spray a nice tack coat (alittle heavier than a mist) over the tire and then do a standing burnout and then roll off the spot. This way you removed all the wet stuff and the heat from the burnout combined with the VHT makes a pretty sticky tire.

'IF' I were to use this at the track it would be because on "Friday Night Grudge" racing nights they don't prep the track for ****, if at all.

I'd go around the water box, and as soon as I start to power-brake the car I would also spray a second or two of the VHT onto the tires. I think I might actually use the spray nozzle from the bug sprayer because it has a fan spray setting that will spray the VHT over the whole surface of the tire, not just a small area. I'd still cut the mix down to avoid clogs in the nozzle.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by 358chevycamaro
If you're gonna wait until the VHT dries, you will be waiting a LONG *** time. lol

I've had a few gallons myself, and that stuff is sticky period! One jug is right at 3 years old and I spilled a small amount on the bottle when I first bought it. It still isn't dry and is still quite tacky (similar feel as a glue mouse trap.)
I have heard that it has to dry. I have never used it, but from what I heard in another thread was if you sprayed the tire as you pulled up to the line, then launched it would make you spin and not hook. Maybe that is wrong?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:25 AM
9 Second Club

I would think after a burnout when the tire is nice and hot you could spray a little bit and it would dry quickly. No?
Old 05-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to thin the VHT with methonal to get it to spray. Thats how tracks are able to spray it and get it to somewhat dry aswell.

There is no way your are going to be able to spray it without thining it out.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wink

Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin
....for the best results we would use it in a bug sprayer cut down a bit with menthol to make it easier to spray and keep from getting clogged.
Originally Posted by ks my ss
You have to thin the VHT with methonal to get it to spray. Thats how tracks are able to spray it and get it to somewhat dry aswell.

There is no way your are going to be able to spray it without thining it out.
I am guessing you didn't read the whole thread first .
Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Just wanted to make sure others knew how to actually spray it
Old 05-19-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Gotcha.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

you got to change out the rubber lines to hard line to help it from clogging and mix the vht with alchoal will help keep from cloggin
been done n streetracing days
Old 05-24-2010, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

I always thought about something like that im glad im not the only crazy enough to do it lol.....

Quick Reply: Anyone built an in-car VHT sprayer/applier?