Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deleting My A/C.. Have questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 05:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Deleting My A/C.. Have questions

I am looking to delete my A/C system and retain the heat in my 01' SS seen as I got the new Chrs1313 ram air kit to go in. I have searched pretty extensively and have not found the answers to the questions I have.

1. How do you drain the system before removing everything? I am looking for a specific answer here, not just "oh go look at it and you'll see blah blah"

- Is there a valve somewhere?
- The only thing I have found concerning this is you can do it at your own house and doesn't really need to be professionally done.

2. Will I need a new pulley to take the place of the A/C compressor after I remove everything?
- My guess is if I just remove the compressor only the compressor bracket remains place, which has the correct pulley already. Am I correct?

3. I haven't seen a good decent write-up yet, I have seen HeyFreds, but his is mainly from the firewall and doesn't show anything up front, just trying to make sure I didn't miss a good step-by-step process already.

thanks guys
Old 05-19-2010, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djfury05
1. How do you drain the system before removing everything? I am looking for a specific answer here, not just "oh go look at it and you'll see blah blah"

- Is there a valve somewhere?
- The only thing I have found concerning this is you can do it at your own house and doesn't really need to be professionally done.
Technically, you're supposed to have the refrigerant recovered by a professional.

If you want to kill the environment, you can simply wrap a rag around a philips-head screwdriver and empty it out via the schrader valve near the drier. If you choose to do this, don't freeze your hand, wear safety glasses, and consider a flak vest, so you don't get taken out by an EPA sniper.

You'll make a baby harp seal cry though, so I don't recommend it.

2. Will I need a new pulley to take the place of the A/C compressor after I remove everything?
- My guess is if I just remove the compressor only the compressor bracket remains place, which has the correct pulley already. Am I correct?
If this is on an F-body, then no. It's a separate belt from the main drive belt. Remove the belt, compressor, and bracket for extra weight savings.

Have fun.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

lol, well I don't know any baby harp seals personally so I think I'll be ok. I do have a flak and kevlar handy so no issue there either. Where is the schrader valve located? (I don't know what the drier is) Is **** gonna spray everywhere?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by djfury05
I do have a flak and kevlar handy so no issue there either. Where is the schrader valve located? (I don't know what the drier is) Is **** gonna spray everywhere?
From memory ( this was years ago, so forgive me if I don't recall correctly ), it's on a line on the passenger side inner fender. Should have a black cap over it. Freon and oil will indeed, spray everywhere, hence the safety glasses.

Don't say you weren't warned when the EPA sees this post and shows up with the battle wagon...
Old 05-20-2010, 05:24 PM
10 Second Club

can anybody confirm the valve is in the location DOUBT IT stated?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are two valves on the system, the one that is in the black circle is the one that DOUBT IT is talking about
Attached Thumbnails Deleting My A/C.. Have questions-im000524.jpg  
Old 05-20-2010, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
There are two valves on the system, the one that is in the black circle is the one that DOUBT IT is talking about
very good thankyou.. so just use the phillips screwdriver and turn it (if there are threads?) or is he saying poke a hole in it? Should I have some sort of small bottle near by that all the **** can spray into?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You dont want to even know the fine you can get if you get caught and not using a recovery tank.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

ok well how much is it going to be to get it recovered then and where do I go for it? I'm pretty sure no EPA douches are gonna be scoping out my street waiting for me to purge it out lol.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I unbolted a line slowly and let the pressure bleed out. I didnt even mess with the valve. with the valve oil and stuff from in the lines will spray out and make a mess. i just unbolted the line and let it drip into a drain pan.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Make sure the valve is the low pressure side and do it in a well ventilated area. I did it in my garage and after I got done I was a little light headed. Probably a little high from the stuff. lol. And yes that **** will freeze your hand. Use a thick towel/rag.

-Mark
Old 05-22-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Unbolt the line from the dryer or condenser and let it bleed out. Ive never done it im just sayin. You dont need a pulley because the crank pulley turns the A/C unit on a seprate belt. If you pull the dryer, condenser, lines and the actual A/C pump then you wont lose your heat. heat is run by a seprate system. Why would you want to do this anyway. I bought my car from a guy that pulled the A/C out of my car and it was all fun and games until the summer rolled around. For some reason you just dont look good in a car when you step out and you have the whole *** sweat butterfly thing going on no matter how bad *** the car is. Oh and you can forget a chick wanting to ride. I never realized how valuable A/C was until I went without. Im just sayin.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

Well I have to get rid of it so I can put on the Chrs1313 Ram Air Kit (Sold by Speed Inc)

Armyboyatc, I'm assuming by your screen name your an air traffic controller.. same here in the Marines.. how is it in the Army? I'm gettin out and doing ATC as a civilian contractor overseas makin 130g starting with first 90g untaxed =)

Thanks everyone for your answers. I'll probably just un-do a line slowly and let it gradually drip out to prevent a huge mess.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

I can't believe so many of you guys just vent it into the atmosphere. Do the right thing and take it to a shop and they can recover and evacuate your system. Don't be a douchebag.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

When I took my TA to the shop to troubleshoot the AC not working, they evacuated it for me to look at the compressor. When I chose not to pay $700 to fix it, they just kept the refrigerant.
Doing it the right way isn't really hard.