LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

58mm TB and LT4 intake with procharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 58mm TB and LT4 intake with procharger

The base of my engine is bone stock with of course it being procharged and the bolt on stuff listed in my sig. I am considering doing a 58mm throttle body and LT4 intake to increase flow. I know that my boost pressure will possibly decrease a bit but I was going to go down a size on the pulley. Will there be any hp/tq gains without doing heads or cam or am I just waisting time and money?????
Old 05-20-2010, 01:59 PM
S2K
On The Tree

Location: Bristol, TN/Knoxville, TN/Mooresville, NC/Phoenix, AZ

I would go monoblade and port a stock intake for it. Maybe clean up the runners while it's off too. Plus lt4 intake doesn't match up with stock lt1 heads.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The LT4 intake won't do you jack squat (they are internally identical to the stock LT1 intake), and also won't even work with your LT1 heads. Throttle body size isn't that important on a boosted application anyway. There's really no need for a monoblade. A 58mm would be plenty.

But I would start saving for a forged bottom end instead of a throttle body...
Old 05-20-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default monoblade

Had a customer, usual, LT1, P & P Heads, cam, 58mm T/B. He installed a monoblade.....No Gains, well it was like around 2-3 HP but that could of been weather related.....
Old 05-20-2010, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by madball
The base of my engine is bone stock with of course it being procharged and the bolt on stuff listed in my sig. I am considering doing a 58mm throttle body and LT4 intake to increase flow. I know that my boost pressure will possibly decrease a bit but I was going to go down a size on the pulley. Will there be any hp/tq gains without doing heads or cam or am I just waisting time and money?????
Like it has been stated.
The TB/Intake won't show much, if any of an improvement.

You're better off getting dyno tuned, replacing the pulley or investing in a nitrous kit.

If you are currently not intercooled, that might be something to look into. I know in the past, some Procharger owners have run FMIC setups that have helped to reduce intake temperatures, which will help with picking up some power. If a FMIC setup isn't feasible, look into meth injection. Or, as stated earlier, a little bit of nitrous might not hurt either.

Either way, you are getting close to the limits of the stock shortblock. Tread lightly.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

What I allready figured. I am cleaning up my engine compartment and am probaly gonna powder coat my intake and polish up my throttle body up a bit. Found a deal on a LT4 intake and a Holley TB so I figured maybe that would be the ticket. I do have the twin procharger IC's and I am not gonna cut a hole in my bumper cover so a FMIC is out of the question. Nitrous really doesn't make much sense to me when I can just get a smaller pulley for more HP and I was probally gonna meth spray it very soon with the added boost from the pulley. I am at 480 rwhp right now and I now that is pretty much all a stock LT bottom can handle. Was just gettin a bit of poser/bling sickness lately and tryin to make it more shiny unda the hood.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

where and for how much did you pick up your procharger?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by madball
I am at 480 rwhp right now and I now that is pretty much all a stock LT bottom can handle. hood.
You are walking a fine line my friend at those HP levels with a Stock LT1 Bottom End, If you are planning a rebuild soon then thats ok, but if you are not, You will be....
Old 05-20-2010, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Internally an LT4 manifold is the SAME as the late LT1 manifolds meaning there are actually LT1 intakes with BIGGER ports than the LT4. Early LT1 manifold were rectangular, late and LT4 manifolds are a trapezoid tapering to the top. There is however more material above the LT4 intake's ports to seal to the taller ports the heads have. That extra material interferes with the valve cover rail on LT1 heads. Machine off that material to make it fit LT1 heads and you just ruined it's potential to be port match to LT4 heads.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
You are walking a fine line my friend at those HP levels with a Stock LT1 Bottom End, If you are planning a rebuild soon then thats ok, but if you are not, You will be....
whatever happens....happens. mostly a street car though