Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insight to code

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 06:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Insight to code

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a code I'm getting?Its throwing a misfire in #7 cylinder.I've changed plugs (tr6) and wires (msd),could it be the coil pack?Well thanks for any insight to my problem.Oh yeah it only throws it out when at idle or just riding at low rpm's.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

I guess I should give some more info.I have a ps1c wit 4 pounds of boost,stock injectors,and a cat back thats it,and tunning by Carolina Auto Masters.Changed plugs the plug that came out of #7 cylinder was realy wet with gas and fouled out.I have hit thr rev limiter a few times here latley,but not 3rd to 2nd or anything just over rev'd it.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:51 AM
Launching!

Swap coil packs with another cylinder.. quick and easy..
Old 01-12-2004, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I'm going to do that today when I get off work.Thanks for replying I'll post the results.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

your motor modified? that is the infamous lean #7. worst case, you have a damaged piston/ring/head.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Motor is bone stock.The car runs fine not skipping,stumbling,or anything car runs like normal and still runs strong.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

how many misfire events are you getting? is it setting a hard or soft code? the injector may be a bit dirty too.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

I'm not sure I just get it pulled with a scane tool.If I'm not mastaking it's like p340 something like that.It just says misfire in #7 cylinder.The injector could be going bad b/c they are at max duty cycle up above 5k and they still can't quite keep up.I'm going to do a compression check today to see if it may be a valve or ring or so forth.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Runing a SC with stock injectors will only get you a real lean condition and the 1st to go is cyc 7.
If the coil and injector are fine then you can get a whole world of hurt not getting more fuel when in boost.

If coil or injector are bad then it should have tripped DTC errors unless who ever tuned it shut down those error codes and now problem is hidden from scanner view.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:22 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I'm thinking thats what has happend.It don't look good I took the filler cap off with it running and its puffing some smoke and a good bit of air out of the valve cover,maybe a piston or ring.I guess I'll take all the stuff off and take it to the dealership,and fight with them to fix it under warranty.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by snkchrmr
Yeah I'm thinking thats what has happend.It don't look good I took the filler cap off with it running and its puffing some smoke and a good bit of air out of the valve cover,maybe a piston or ring.I guess I'll take all the stuff off and take it to the dealership,and fight with them to fix it under warranty.
How about taking it back to the tuner???.

If you end up tearing that thing down get a second opinion as to what caused the damage (if there is any), if it's through detonation, don't hit GM for the repair, head back to the tuner screaming.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fetumpsh
How about taking it back to the tuner???.

If you end up tearing that thing down get a second opinion as to what caused the damage (if there is any), if it's through detonation, don't hit GM for the repair, head back to the tuner screaming.

Why would I not get it covered under warranty if I can get by with it?I mean there is no limit on how long it will last,I've had it on the car for a good while now.The tunner isn't going to do nothing but tell me I knew the risk.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

I'm not sure I just get it pulled with a scane tool.If I'm not mastaking it's like p340 something like that.It just says misfire in #7 cylinder.The injector could be going bad b/c they are at max duty cycle up above 5k and they still can't quite keep up.I'm going to do a compression check today to see if it may be a valve or ring or so forth.
oh man, my heart goes out to you. i fear you took out your piston/rings in #7.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

The tunner isn't going to do nothing but tell me I knew the risk.
What risk!!, if the thing was tuned properly there is no risk, I know plenty of blown LS1's runing upto 12-14psi no problems with standard comp, they aren't damaging parts.

Hey it's your call, but I think if you get a smart mechanic at the dealership they will know if wasn't damaged by natural causes.

Good Luck and please keep us informed on how you go.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fetumpsh
What risk!!, if the thing was tuned properly there is no risk, I know plenty of blown LS1's runing upto 12-14psi no problems with standard comp, they aren't damaging parts.

Hey it's your call, but I think if you get a smart mechanic at the dealership they will know if wasn't damaged by natural causes.

Good Luck and please keep us informed on how you go.

Well the car was tuned back in the summer,and it's on stock injectors.They are maxed out 100% duty cycle up top.The way I see it is now with the winter temps its had to been running alot leaner than when I had it tunned in warm weather.I guess maybe I'm wrong,but my buddy has some connections at a dealership so hopefully I can get it taken care of if not I'll just build it with good internals.Probably should do it anyway.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Well the car was tuned back in the summer,and it's on stock injectors.They are maxed out 100% duty cycle up top.The way I see it is now with the winter temps its had to been running alot leaner than when I had it tunned in warm weather.I guess maybe I'm wrong,but my buddy has some connections at a dealership so hopefully I can get it taken care of if not I'll just build it with good internals.Probably should do it anyway.
Better take care of the fuel system too, although I'm guessing that when it was tuned had some sort of WBO2 graph as well?.
I'm sure if your tuner saw something nasty he would have told you.

Again, good luck.