auto Air condition guys please come in

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default auto Air condition guys please come in

Alright my daily driver is a 99 camaro v6. When i picked it up about two years ago. It was sitting for about a year and a half.
I got it running again and charged the ac system. It stayed cold for about a month then it started getting warm. so i charge it again. ect. eventually it wont hold a charge more than a few days. I run the dye in it and i checked for leaks but cant find any. Obviously its leaking but i just dont know what to do. Can anyone fix it and how much? thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe a member on here will let you borrow their leak detector . I got mine off craigslist and I was able to fix my leak in my sixer. It was doin the same thing your car is doin. My a/c compressor had bad seals so I took it to a shop to have it rebuilt . It cost like 100 dollars . Put it back in and blew cold
Old 05-24-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

awsome thanks man
Old 05-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Default No Problem

Yes, normally heres how it goes. If your not seeing leaks or streaks around any of the fittings or connections then more than likely it wil be the front seal or the evaporator.Now, if your car has been sitting a while than the evap could have corrosion on it causing it to leak. Does your car have the musty smell coming out of the vents on low fan with the a/c on?
If not there is a more common problem associated with the front seal. Usually you cant see it because it will leak inside the compressor front housing and will disperse thru the clutch assembly. if your car is showing signs of a dirty streak around the clutch and scattered on the body/subframe area then you can almost be certain that the front seal has failed.
Just replacing the seal is a quick fix the underlying problem starts with the bearings/bushings that suppurt the compressor input shaft. To pay anyone to replace a seal is not a very good idea, in my opinion.The compressor is more than likely wearing out. At any rate this is just a general diag and no way intended to solve your problem. Good luck with your a/c.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Teching In

i have the same problem, thanks for this post
Old 05-25-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Let's bump it up then
Old 05-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Let us know what you find out
Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

take it to a shop that has a sniffer and have them sniff it. probably is the evaporator but don’t rule out the condenser it is some times hard to see a small leak in those. last thing which i doubt is your problem but check your Schrader valves.