Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tach not working??!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default tach not working??!!

I am using the factory (1972 GMC Jimmy) Dash bezel and gauges. I have everything working (I believe, don't have a scanner yet) except the tach. I hooked the tach wire from my 1972 tach harness to the wire marked tach and I ran a power wire to the tach just like it was and working before the swap. The engine starts and runs fine, no MIL/CEL while running but the factory 1972 tach is not moving. The engine is a 2005 5.3 and the PCM has blue/green connectors.

What can we do to get my tach working.

What PCM pin should be my tach signal?

Thanks
Mark

I don't know the settings in the PCM as I did not do the tuning. I have a PM to the tuner and I will post what he has to say but thought I would ask the knowledgeable members also.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Some tachs need the booster wire
Old 05-31-2010, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pocket
Some tachs need the booster wire
Is the booster wire the 680 ohm 1/4 watt resistor or?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I did mine,, I am using a autometer tach,,, I had to use the resistor to the "tach" line from the pcm to the tach, just use the resistor you mentioned, and plug one side to the tach wire and the other side of the resistor to a 12v ing. mine has worked, but when at idle my needle moves up and down just as if I had a big lobe cam in the engine., but it only does it at idle...
Old 06-01-2010, 03:35 AM
Teching In

Default tach signal

Originally Posted by Thealien
I am using the factory (1972 GMC Jimmy) Dash bezel and gauges. I have everything working (I believe, don't have a scanner yet) except the tach. I hooked the tach wire from my 1972 tach harness to the wire marked tach and I ran a power wire to the tach just like it was and working before the swap. The engine starts and runs fine, no MIL/CEL while running but the factory 1972 tach is not moving. The engine is a 2005 5.3 and the PCM has blue/green connectors.

What can we do to get my tach working.

What PCM pin should be my tach signal?

Thanks
Mark

I don't know the settings in the PCM as I did not do the tuning. I have a PM to the tuner and I will post what he has to say but thought I would ask the knowledgeable members also.
I believe that the tach signal produced by the PCM is a digital signal and can't be fed directly to an analog tachometer.

Here is one product that I found (haven't used it):
http://www.nookandtranny.com/mm5/mer...ry_Code=GAUGES

For myself, I just purchased two aeroforce OBDII gauges:
http://www.aeroforcetech.com/
I haven't installed them yet, but if they work as advertised, they will display RPM, water temp, and anything else that the OBDII knows about and you can set 'alarm' values.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I believe that the tach signal produced by the PCM is a digital signal and can't be fed directly to an analog tachometer.
Nonsense, 4th gens use analog tachs along with pretty much all older cars. The signal itself is just weak and needs to be amplified for some tachs to read it
Old 06-01-2010, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 928vette

Here is one product that I found (haven't used it):
http://www.nookandtranny.com/mm5/mer...ry_Code=GAUGES

For myself, I just purchased two aeroforce OBDII gauges:
http://www.aeroforcetech.com/
I haven't installed them yet, but if they work as advertised, they will display RPM, water temp, and anything else that the OBDII knows about and you can set 'alarm' values.
Your first statement was incorrect.

The tach signal can be sent to a standard tach direct from the PCM but the tach has to be set for 4 cylinder (yes weird I know). The Dakota Digital box is for people who can't or won't change the tach (or with factory or vintage instruments like Alien and I) and don't have access to change the output in their tune. Originally I installed one on my car but the tach output was fine, just incorrect. Now that I have tune software I could change the output in the tune but the box is already wired in and hidden so...

If I remember The Alien's build he is like me and trying to keep the factory feel about the interior so that solution won't work - but it looks cool in a high tech way.

Alien, you may have to do the resistor trick to get the tach working since your PCM is newer than 2003.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Thanks, I'll let you know if the resistor works when I get the chance to try it out!

Mark
Old 06-01-2010, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

as mention b4 the resistor trick will work, just set the tach 4cyl,, thats what i did on mine,, but mine is kindof jumping at idle
Old 06-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Will 680 ohm at 1/2 watts will do cuz radio shack dont have 1/4 ?
Old 06-02-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup that will work fine as well....1/2 watt
Old 06-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Thx Guy I just install the resitor and now my Tach working now.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Launching!

I installed the resistor and my Tach now works but reads low. I guess I have to buy HP tuners or get someone to let me use theirs and buy a couple of credits to adjust the output in the PCM?
Old 06-13-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Thealien
I installed the resistor and my Tach now works but reads low. I guess I have to buy HP tuners or get someone to let me use theirs and buy a couple of credits to adjust the output in the PCM?
Too bad you're not near me.

Option 2 is using the Dakota Digital converter box. It will allow you to change the 4 cyl factory output to V8 (or anything you need it to be) to match your factory style tach.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Launching!

A local tuner changed something in the PCM and the tach reads fine now!
Old 09-12-2010, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

I tried to use the resistor on my swap and it did nothing. My tach is not working any ideas? I am using a stock tach in my Trans am.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Default Need help with tach

i have a 69 suburban that I swapped an 2002 5.3 4L60E motor in my suburban came with the factory tach I'd like to keep it I saw a guy at the Pomona swap meet in December an he got his factory gauges tach speedo to work he used the black box for speedo but I don't remember what he used for tach please help I want to keep my dash original. Thanks
Old 02-26-2017, 06:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyBurb
i have a 69 suburban that I swapped an 2002 5.3 4L60E motor in my suburban came with the factory tach I'd like to keep it I saw a guy at the Pomona swap meet in December an he got his factory gauges tach speedo to work he used the black box for speedo but I don't remember what he used for tach please help I want to keep my dash original. Thanks
The answers are in this thread.

Andrew
Old 04-20-2017, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Quick Reply: tach not working??!!