Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Do all S60 wine under deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do all S60 wine under deceleration

Yea guys
Ive got maybe 800 miles on my 02 SS APS twin turbo.My S60 only has 800 miles on it since being dynoed last summer. She put down 650 RWHP on 7 psi and the APS turbos went there soon after so i really havent driven her hard since having it dynoed last year. I drive it now, but not hard or into boost till i have the tune checked here on the 20th by Mr Farmatto in Gettysburgh because of the bigger LG turbo install i did over the winter. It always had a slight wine when ide let off the gas but really noticed it last night when costing down a big hill last night when coming back from the drive-ins Do all S60 make a wine when you let off the gas? or should i have it checked out ?I also followed the break in precedures after i installed it! I checked the driveshaft play while in neterul too because it seems to slam alittle when i put it into drive .Not really so much in reverses though. It is a Rossler tranny with a UMI tunnel brace setup I might have to have the ideal turned down a tad when having it retunned but still am wondering why it wines under decell its quict as long as its under load with the gas pedal ?
Old 05-31-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is pretty silent except for the very very minimal whine on decel. I can only hear this hear and there and only if I really pay attention. This is after 15+ 5K+ rpm clutch dumps at the track so she is holding up really well.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
Mine is pretty silent except for the very very minimal whine on decel. I can only hear this hear and there and only if I really pay attention. This is after 15+ 5K+ rpm clutch dumps at the track so she is holding up really well.
Yea,mines not real bad either, but really noticed it coasting down a big hill last night and it was loader then usual.I took her out today on a flat road and could hardly hear it ?Ive never changed the rear fluid yet and was thinking of using some rural puple (i think is the name) ?
What do you guys think is some good oil to use on these S60's and oil weight?Should i use any type of aditive either?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Whine could be due to any combination of a few different things. The most common issue with whine is either an improper setup (it does not mean your gears are bad either) or just the simple fact that some gears are cut a little different than others. A little whine can be expected from a performance gear set. If you can afford to have it checked out, it might not be a bad idea to get an opinion from a well known shop.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:28 PM
KBG
Launching!

mine whined from day one on accel/decel at arouund 30-40 mph but was always dead silent at highway speeds
Old 06-13-2010, 07:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Outlaw72
Whine could be due to any combination of a few different things. The most common issue with whine is either an improper setup (it does not mean your gears are bad either) or just the simple fact that some gears are cut a little different than others. A little whine can be expected from a performance gear set. If you can afford to have it checked out, it might not be a bad idea to get an opinion from a well known shop.
I agree, a little gear whine is often heard from performance gears. Did you get my pm on the spool? Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-13-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Barnat buddy I have decel gear whine too on my s60 with 3.54. I am starting to think mentally block it out or maybe just that the stereo I put in is really loud! Twin mtx power amps with a subthump dual 12 inch t top box and more mtx goodness in the box.
Infinity speakers for the rest of the setup.

Anyway I was going to try something. Going to try retorquing the pinion bearing. Read somewhere about retorque to 125 foot pounds think it was. Supposed cured it forget where read that though. maybe digging up old posts on here. Guy even made a little tool to do it better.

The good news is don't hear any whine on accel. I really should have checked pattern though before ran the rear end. Was lazy . I am thinking to get a wavetrac diff they are coming out with one for our dana 60 later this year or next for sure been talking to wavetrac directly. I will for sure be checking pattern on the gears I put in .

I will report in month or so when install hopefully new carbon fiber driveshaft that plan on getting and will be doing the pinion retorque then. Loose pinion can cause decel whine.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine has very minute whine about 35-40mph. Nothing bad at all and doesn't bother me with the exhaust cutouts closed, windows up and t-tops on.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Good news for fellow s60 owners. I contacted wavetrac and they are going to make
a wavetrac for our rearends sometime this year or early next. I plan on getting one and will redo my gears ,try to get super quiet gears and triple check pattern. I think can get it ever quieter although my rearend is super quiet compared to many other stock and non stock ones out there.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
I agree, a little gear whine is often heard from performance gears. Did you get my pm on the spool? Bob
Why yessir I did....LoL Sorry for the late response...I need another item but I will Pm ya about it.

Quick Reply: Do all S60 wine under deceleration