LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Arp head studs

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Arp head studs

So i am going the head stud route instead of head bolts. I have never studded a block before. What exactly is involved? I have alraedy cleaned out the threads im just not sure how to do it. Anyone know if theres a video online I can watch. The instructions that come with the head studs are not very helpful.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty straight forward. ive had good luck sealing them with copper rtv. thread them in til they "bottom out," some people back them off, i didnt. clean up the excess sealer real good, torque the head down in 3 passes with arp lube or 30wt oil. obviously the torque value changes depending on lube used. iirc i did mine to 70 ft lbs with 30wt oil. ive never had a sealing problem with copper rtv so im gonna keep using it.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the only thing i can add is: although it is possible, do not plan on doing this with the motor in the car. mine left me barely enough room to pull the heads off plus you have to lift evenly being while bent over the side of a car which blows.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

YHUP, make sure everything is clean & dry. Run a cleaning tap through the block (NOT a regular tap).

For the threads into the block, you need a sealant, not a lube. Something nice and sticky. The ARP thread sealer has Teflon in it which is a lubricant. Eventually, it'll wash out from the coolant and heating/cooling cycles. Just spin the studs into the block until they stop, don't tighten them in.

Yes, do use the recommended ARP lube on the fine threads on top and torque to they're specs. Don't forget a dab of lube on the nut washers.

For the block threads, go with this:
Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Ttt^^
Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevo9389
the only thing i can add is: although it is possible, do not plan on doing this with the motor in the car. mine left me barely enough room to pull the heads off plus you have to lift evenly being while bent over the side of a car which blows.
didn't even think about that... I've had such an open engine bay for so long I forgot what a pain it was to work with ac, abs, etc in the car. It easy if you have everything stripped out of there though.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

like the guys above said its pretty straight forward...........i used rtv on the threads into the block cuase they all do go into the water jacket......also like they said just thread them in by hand and soon as they stop ur done...make sure you dont tighten them into the block. As for doing it in the car you should be able to put the a couple of the bottom ones in to get the head on then I just threaded mine in wil the head was on.....easiest way if the motors in the car.

Quick Reply: Arp head studs