I want to start a business but I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to start a business but I need some advice

Ok so here's the deal. I have a decent paying job with good paying benefits, so I know I am already fortunate. But I am not passionate about my job. I'm a graduate of UH with a degree in Consumer Science and I feel drawn to entrepreneurship so much. Damn school

I thoroughly enjoy working on cars, bikes & all the other toys out there and learning about all of the new stuff that there is out there for them. I want to ease into a business dealing with the aftermarket industry and I have an idea but I need some input.

I am very good at detailing cars. I have a lot of experience with engine detailing, clay barring, wheel polishing and have even gone as far as cleaning an entire suspension and frame for someone who was prepping their car for shows.

What I want to do is start out a small (probably weekends only to start) operation where I hand detail vehicles. It will be only me working there and I'd take appointments to get the vehicles in there. I would plan to set up shop on the NW side of Houston in a small warehouse setting with a bay door to drive the vehicles indoors while working on them. Customers could drop their cars off or wait (whichever is convenient for them) and I would do all of the work myself. I can usually detail a full size car in about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. Trucks are about the same with the right tools, maybe just a tad longer. Clay barring and any additional stuff obviously takes longer and more time would have to be allotted. I found a place reasonably cheap right off of 290 & Hwy 6 and don't know exactly how much it would be monthly but I can't imagine it being more than $5-600 for the space I would need.

I'm thinking a regular hand detail inside & out would be about $25-30 and a full clay bar & 3 step wax and interior would be around $125. Again, these are just estimates just to get an idea. Overhead would be low (obviously) so keeping the costs down would be easy.

I would hope to eventually be able to begin doing things like window tint, audio, suspension, exhaust & other bolt ons someday, but it would be a while before I would be able to invest in something like that. I'd like to have car shows on the weekends out there (as long as it was ok with the landlord) to get everyone involved and have a place to hang out.

So the million dollar question is....is something like this possible? Can anyone offer an advice or suggestions?

I'm trying to get a feeler if anyone would be interested in a service like this. I see the people paying $25 for a place like Mister Car Wash to run it through a tunnel so I don't think my prices I've come up with are crazy.

:help: Am I just dreaming or am I an idiot?

Thanks for any help or advice. Incredibly sorry for the long post

Travis
Old 06-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Well some things you might want to consider are:

-look at the surrounding area to see if there are any other full service car washes in the area. You don't want to set up shop in an area that has something like a mister carwash already.

-Do you really need a space to work like the warehouse or would it be more economical and even less overhead to actually go to the customer? I know there are services like this already in place and it would solve the customers problem of having to drive it to you and wait. You could probably charge more for this as well for the convenience factor.

I think its possible but you may want to do some research on this. I don't know about U of H but I know Sam Houston State has a small business development center where they help you get your business off the ground and see if it is even feasable. The guy that runs its last name is Barragan I believe.

Good Luck.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

its definately feasible. the tough part is establishing yourself and building worthwhile clientel. the hardest part of it is dealing with the penny pinchers especially now. ive been running a mobile detail service myself since 2004 so ive seen the good and bad in this. its not easy but if you hang in there it can be worth it. feel free to ask any questions that you have.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
its definately feasible. the tough part is establishing yourself and building worthwhile clientel. the hardest part of it is dealing with the penny pinchers especially now. ive been running a mobile detail service myself since 2004 so ive seen the good and bad in this. its not easy but if you hang in there it can be worth it. feel free to ask any questions that you have.
LOL at the penny pincher comment.....

Oh wait a minute..you where talking about me.....
Old 06-04-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I also thought about doing the mobile detailing thing, but I would rather establish a location with the future hopes of moving into the aftermarket scene. I thought about going to the customers places and doing it there, however that would require the investment of a truck that had all the gear. I don't know how people would feel about me using their water and electricity. But I guess that is something to think about too.

How did you go about getting the clientel? Is it mostly word of mouth or do you have any additional advertising? I know boards like this are great after you pay to get to be a vendor. A lot of the people I have met off of here are very meticulous about their vehicles, and some of them don't have the time to really clean their cars like they would want. I would hope to jump into that.

I really want to do this. I guess I should look into the warehouse to see if my price is right that way I have as much info on it as possible.

thanks for the post!
Old 06-04-2010, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Well one thing I can say is don't try and reinvent the wheel, find other detail shops go see how their operations work take price sheets from all of them to base your prices. Just try to follow a already beaten path and make it better.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good call. I think I'll do that this weekend
Old 06-04-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing to consider, which is hard to find (or at least I havn't seen) is 18 wheeler detail. Most truckers like to keep their rigs clean. Being in Houston, I 10 is pretty busy.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah that would be awesome. lots of polishing to do on some of those trucks! that would take an entire day i'm sure to do one of those trucks
Old 06-05-2010, 02:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you were near me, i'd gladly pay you 20-30 a week just to keep it clean.. sometimes I just don't really have time, etc... and it would make it easy..

maybe something to think about, maybe you could be mobile for the first month or so, get a few clients to help pay the bills, and help spread the word. then move into a location, and you've already got some customers.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

I was a mobile mechanic for two years after I got a Bachelors in Business administration. Saved the initial capitol I needed and everything took off from there.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I could go the mobile route as long as I could get the water and electrical at the site I went to. I would assume that most of the time it would be at someone's house.

I just can't figure out how to get my foot in the door
Old 06-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

Food for thought:: I know a guy who does mobile car cleaning and does quit well.. His tricks to success we're to get a trailer set up for mobile cleaning... Trailer,generator,power washer,storage boxes,etc,etc..... Then what he did was go after large areas with more than one car there ( Car dealerships,office buildings( while people are at work, You clean there cars,,,Everyone wants to keep up with the jones's) Maybe you can see his pattern here. If you're going mobile Go to one stop and make the most.. He eventually built his own carwash and detailing shop. Ran it for several years,then sold it about 2 years ago for a substantial profit.. Gyms are also a good place. People work-out then like to leave in a clean car. Most people who care about thier bodies care about their cars... Hope this helps...
Old 06-05-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My neighbor used to do the mobile detailing and he had a van with a giant water tank in it, a power washer and a generator. He seemed to do pretty well with it. He just went around to businesses in the area and asked the people at work inside if they needed a wash/detail. He built up a clientele that way and then he had steady customers.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
Sun Tzu
Old 06-05-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You gotta market yourself.

Make some legit business cards with a cool logo and hand them out like a herpes outbreak.
Everything is on the internet now. Make a internet site and a Facebook page.

Also, you need to check out the legal side of starting a small business.

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Ill pay you for a nice detail..... seriously pm me
Old 06-05-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can turn that into a nice business. Get some flyers and business cards and head out. Word of mouth is the best way to get a nice group of clients. I built mine doing everyones car that would let me and now have it down to just a handful. Most have multiple cars. I am as busy as I want to be. I do not use any of the money for general household stuff. That way I don't "have" to detail if I don't want to or have something else to do. I have a full time job that allow me alot of time off, so it works well. It's nice to have a shop, but then you are tied to that spot. I have a crew cab truck and all my supplies fit inside with the rear seat folded down. I also have a generator that I put in the bed if needed. All my clients have no problem with me using their water or electricity. Honestly, I could talk all day on the subject. Big thing is start small and don't spend more than you can make. Rent on a warehouse just takes from your pocket. My overhead is mainly gas. I could do alot more, but it's just me, and my clients like that. I don't have the time or money to chase employees and fixed their screw ups. I am headed out of town for the weekend, but PM me if you have any questions and I will get with you next week. There are alot of guys on here that detail and you can get some valuable info. Good Luck
Old 06-05-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks everyone for your input. I will definitely get some sort of flyer or something put together
Old 06-05-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nonstickrudy
Ill pay you for a nice detail..... seriously pm me
PM sent

If anyone else wants to give me a try I'll hook you up the best I can. I'll bring everything I need except for water and an electrical plug.