LT1 Texas Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Texas Newbie

Hey everyone, Ive been on here for about a week now, just never posted one in here. Im From Greenville, Texas. Its about 45 mins east of dallas.

I am on my 4th F-Body, Including a 95 Z/28, 96 Trans Am, 02 SS, And now my 94 Trans Am. This trans am has been pretty fun to mess with, if you want to know why i went from LS1 back to LT1, well answer is simple, i raced dirt track modifieds, didnt have a vehicle to pull the race car, so i had to get rid of it, it took 3 years to get me another F-Body only because i just never had the time or money, i bought the LT1 because i saw i good deal and alot of potential in the car..

The Mod list is listed in my sig. Im not sure on the times, been doing alot of work on it latily to get it running 100% so soon i will have the times and dyno numbers.

Its not the fastest thing around, but it hold its own, just another LT1. Or as im told by the guys around here, I don't like drama unless the idiot is just asking for it. Im a car fan altogether and theres not many performance cars i dont like, and ricers are not quailfyed as performance to me!

Anyways, Im just happy to be here around people who have the same love for GM (or any cars for that matter) as me! Hope to make some new friends! Let me know of what you guys think about it! I can handle the truth

Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks good man!

Needs the radiator support though, I think a billet or chrome (whatever) would look awesome!

Green and chrome is awesome, really sets it out IMO.

I'm in McKinney, not too many LT1 guys around here, but theres a few...I'll be on the lookout next time I'm out that way.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Teching In

car looks good.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Looks slow. hahahaha. You ever get your tps thing worked out?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

not a bad looking car. got a bolt on 93 lt1 f car myself. however ill warn you dont feed Neil!!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:33 AM
Teching In

Thanks everyone!

Whitehooptie - It is slow, just enough to get out of it own way lol, and yes i finally got it figured out, cus im a dumbass, and didnt realize it was hung on a clamp at the bottom, moved them clap and problem is gone!

Happysem - The radiator supports, well id love to have one, i actually have one for it (stock one) but doesnt fit with the G2 intake elbow, may have to get me a chrome one and do some modifying! and i love the chrome and green too, i think it stands out more, and let me know when your out this way, we have hardly any lt1s around here also!

ex-ss-ve - thanks! ill have to check out your 93, im a fan of the LT1 T/As this is my 2nd one, fun lil cars. and what do you mean by that? haha
Old 06-04-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JLR60LT1
i raced dirt track modifieds
I used to race dirt track cars. What grind that can be.

You should give asphalt, road course racing a look. A lot more fun, a lot less work and a heckuva lot cheaper.

I race a 96 TA and am just south of Ft. Worth. We leave for Tulsa next weekend to race against the Rocky Mountain, Midwest and Southeast regions.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Joe's car has a C5R motor in his 93, I seen the valve covers. BMR makes a polished radiator shroud, I have one I've been meaning to get powder coated for a while. I've had to replace the ground effects on my TA also

Neil
Old 06-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Joe's car has a C5R motor in his 93, I seen the valve covers. BMR makes a polished radiator shroud, I have one I've been meaning to get powder coated for a while. I've had to replace the ground effects on my TA.
Id like to get ahold of a chrome radiator support and some chrome valve covers to dress it up a bit, and i need the ground effects on mine to, but can never find any!

mitchntx - I quit racing dirt track because of all the drama wrapped up in it, and the money involved waas getting out rageous, couldn't afford it anymore, not to mention i have just as much fun messing with the trans am. I thought about trying out asphalt, but thats just alot more money, i think for the time being im going to just let it do straight lines lol
Old 06-04-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the site bud! Car looks clean good job!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:38 PM

The issue you'll find is, the heads use a standard SBC center bolt valve cover, how ever the factory alternator location causes a clearance issue. Not chrome, but I used a set of LT4 Composite valve covers on mine. There are some people who sell chrome valve covers for these cars, but I've never used them. I had a set of Cantons once but they had clearance issues around the stock auto dip stick tube. This is just what I have found. If you look in CZ28.com plenty of people have modded valve covers to fit with the stock alternator.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Teching In

GarrettM - Thanks bud!

BizZzatch350 - I had heard some bad things about the chrome valve covers about leaking, but never thought of a clearence issue, Thanks for the Input! and ill give the website a look at see what i can find, what id also like to get it some fabricated valve covers, saw a guys LT1 at a car show with some one, Looked MEAN! but im sure they would have an even worse clearence issue!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:56 PM

The after market stuff is hit or miss, you get a good set or you dont. This holds true with Cantons a lot, I have heard of issues with valve covers leaking and oil pans leaking. I have the GM LT4s and with fel pro gaskets, zero leaks. A lot of guys have modded other stuff to work though. If you relocate the alternator you can run just about any SBC valve cover you want, problem is you loose having ac
Old 06-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Teching In

i just may do that, and id like to put some on there, i may just take the risk, i mean hell its that way with any aftermarket part so oh well, and i already dont have AC so it wont be a problem
Old 06-04-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JLR60LT1
mitchntx - I quit racing dirt track because of all the drama wrapped up in it, and the money involved waas getting out rageous, couldn't afford it anymore, not to mention i have just as much fun messing with the trans am. I thought about trying out asphalt, but thats just alot more money, i think for the time being im going to just let it do straight lines lol
Money and drama were the reasons I stopped ... back in 1988! So very little has canged, I see.

I found Camaro/Mustang Challenge. Its a spec class, small regional group and races at 4 tracks around Texas and Oklahoma.

By spec, I mean that HP/TQ is limited to 260/320 ... about what a stock LT1 dynos. So running a stock drive train means a very long life. I ran the first two years on a junk yard pull-out LT1. And it still made the numbers when I pulled it out.

Car to car contact had gotten out-of-hand ... but I think there are enough of us who don't like that **** and are slowly weeding out the crazies and the Kyle Bush wanna-be's,

My car cost about $6K to build and put on the track. I've probably added another $3-4K over the last years. Things like oil cooler, Ultra-Lite gauges, fire bottles, cool suit system, radio ... it adds up, but not any where near necessary.

And I have an annual race budget of $5K. That includes travel related expenses, fuel, tires, brakes ... everything.

Here is a high-light video from last year's Hallett event just outside of Tulsa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXyhPrzpi4E

Lots of good, close, clean racing ... except at about 1:30 ... shame on me.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Money and drama were the reasons I stopped ... back in 1988! So very little has canged, I see.

I found Camaro/Mustang Challenge. Its a spec class, small regional group and races at 4 tracks around Texas and Oklahoma.

By spec, I mean that HP/TQ is limited to 260/320 ... about what a stock LT1 dynos. So running a stock drive train means a very long life. I ran the first two years on a junk yard pull-out LT1. And it still made the numbers when I pulled it out.

Car to car contact had gotten out-of-hand ... but I think there are enough of us who don't like that **** and are slowly weeding out the crazies and the Kyle Bush wanna-be's,

My car cost about $6K to build and put on the track. I've probably added another $3-4K over the last years. Things like oil cooler, Ultra-Lite gauges, fire bottles, cool suit system, radio ... it adds up, but not any where near necessary.

And I have an annual race budget of $5K. That includes travel related expenses, fuel, tires, brakes ... everything.

Here is a high-light video from last year's Hallett event just outside of Tulsa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXyhPrzpi4E

Lots of good, close, clean racing ... except at about 1:30 ... shame on me.
Damn that looks like fun! You said Kyle Busch wanna bes, thats funny as hell! we had alot of those when i ran dirt. Sad thing is, vid below, its my last night i raced. you know when you are fed up with the BS when you quit after winning..

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...5-64746a03362f
Old 06-04-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice and very smooth.

In the video I linked, the red Z28 is driven by a guy who, like you and I, got tired of the dirt world. He ran at a track outside of Paris.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow thats weird that elbow doesn't clear...

I like the stock rubber one better anyway, I picked up the 1LE elbow so it doesn't have the stupid donkey dong.

Only other thing is I would definitely wrap or spray that first blue rubber intake band, looks really bad =P
Old 06-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

I still have the stock elbow on the 94. I used a pert plus (I think) shampoo cap to fill the dong...heh heh.... with a small clamp. Didn't want to spend the money and it hasn't budged in 10 years.

As far as the elbow not fitting, I dont think he's trying hard enough to get it on there. The throttle body piece probably is not orginal for that elbow.

Back to the valve covers, I have a set of aluminum ones that I got off of ebay. They're bad *** what ever brand they are. They're clearanced for larger rockers in side and the passenger side is notched for the alternator. I'll take a picture of them in the day light.

And Jeremy, what's wrong with the AC? I have a scan tool you know. Plus sometimes the computer freaks out and stops the AC. A quick fix that might work is unplug the battery for a minute and plug it back in and see what happens.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:51 AM
Teching In

Yea i need you to scan some stuff, needs tune now that i figured as to who you are haha.

and when i tried to put it on it didnt work, eh idk? oh well

as far as the blue piece, just never gave it a second thought, eh, may get a black one or something, not a big deal to me. lol