Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 F-body ls1, tranny??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 F-body ls1, tranny??

I will soon be starting my sbc to ls1 conversion in my 68 camaro, i was wondering what transmission makes for the least PITA to convert, im currently sitting over a weak 3 speed auto( only has about 1,500 miles on it since rebuild), im wondering if i should just leave the existing tranny in there for now and build up the rest of the car, suspension brakes rearend etc., or should i just do what i really want and drop the 6 speed manual like i want. Also should i commit to a specific tranny before getting my hands on the PCM, or is it easy enough to convert? Newbie here so I will not take offense if you "dumb it down" for me. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the ls6 from my z06 in my 68 with a kiesler 5 speed and it is a great setup. I did a conversion with the 6 speed on another car and did not feel like the extra overdrive gear was very useful and I like the smaller lighter 5 speed.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would commit to a tranny now.. The least work would be a 4L60E, no trans tunnel work needed. with a T56 you will have put some major effort to message or reconstruct the tunnel, it is a large transmission. A Kiesler 5 speed or the like is also another good choice.
But remember that the Gen III/IV block do not have a provision for a Z-Bar stud. You will have to usa a hyd Master/Slave (so old school bell housing and 4 speed are a problem).

I have a T56 in my Chevelle with 4.11 gears.. so i can still cruise on the highway..70mph at about 2k.. and still get over 23+mpg.

Last edited by bczee; 06-08-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:37 AM
TECH Resident

i went with a t56 and i love it
Old 06-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Thats what im wanting, i've always been partial to the manual tranny, I just feel like you get the complete driving experience. Plus not everyone can drive your car if its got a third pedal in it. Plus the mpg's are awesome, to hell with DOD. I guess my main concern then is what is the major price difference in the kieser compared to the T56?? Also would it be rediculous to throw the 4l60E in there now( cheaper less of a hassle to intall) and penetrate some other parts with the almighty greenbacks, then drop the big bucks on the T56 later??
Old 06-08-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If that's want your really want.. (manual).. then suggest you just start planning and building with that in mind. Why waste the effiort and $$ to do something that your just going to rip out anyway.. just keep looking around. you will find something you can afford now or soon.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bczee
if that's want your really want.. (manual).. Then suggest you just start planning and building with that in mind. Why waste the effiort and $$ to do something that your just going to rip out anyway.. Just keep looking around. You will find something you can afford now or soon.
+1000000
Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Launching!

depends on your budget and how much time you are willing to put the car down for. do you just want to get the car up and running to drive, or do you want to spend some extra time to set up a 5 or 6 speed. converting from an auto to a manual would be a great winter project. It would be easier to drop the motor in (with some set up mods to the car) and drive it for a while then down the road you can do the swap to a standard when funds are replenished. do you have the pedals and everything you would need for the clutch (hydraulic slave cylinder for the 6 speed)? I have a tremec 5 speed with a mechanical clutch in my 68 and love it. I bought the conversion kit a few years ago and dont know how I lived without it. its backed by a nodular 9" with 3.50 gears. I think if your going from a 3 speed auto you will be more than happy with a 5 speed. just my 2 cents!! either way good luck with the swap.

Quick Reply: 68 F-body ls1, tranny??