Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 conversion, runs no codes but no DBW response

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 conversion, runs no codes but no DBW response

I have a install of an 02 escalade LQ9 in my wrangler and it starts up fine but no throttle movement. Using hp tuner and it always shows 0% on the throttle and pedal. Looks like no communication or the ETC is not enabled but when the key is on and I put the fuse in for the ETC the throttle blade closes all the way and goes back to normal position like it functions fine. I tried a 2nd pedal I have with no difference

I hooked up to my 06 silverado and everthing reads fine with the KOEO and the throttle moves as I move the pedal and reads correct on te hp tuner.

The PCM is a 0411 from an 02 5.3 silverado which I tried stock programming and even modified to match 02 6.0 escalade tune but acts the same. I also tried everwriting the entire program with one from an 02 escalade 6.0 but then the fuel pump relay starts chattering and can't connect to the PCM until I pull the fuse to the ETC or pull the serial buss wires.

I have double checked wiring and I even have the 5v reference to the TPS circuits just fine. I am not sure where to go from here but here are the things I think it may be but don't want to just start buying parts: ETC unit, PCM not compatible, TPS?

Any ideas?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

just throwing it out there, but is the pedal, tac module, and TB all from the same vehicle? I have a DBW set up I havent used yet but fear it ,I have read of problems with them and that seems to be a common diagnosis, different parts from different vehicles.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Teching In

It looks like 2000-2002 Gen III truck/suv engines can share the same TPS, and ETC with each other but not sure about the pedal. I will double check to make sure but I am 90% sure they are from the same vehicle. The PCM is where they gave me a different one. It showed to be from a 2002 Escalade 5.3 on the ticket which I don’t like but when connected to it the info pulled up to be a 2002 Silverado. Car-part.com lists 4.3, 5.4, and 6.0 computers for a replacement on my engine but they must expect you to flash them as the programming is not at all the same between those.

Last edited by Dominatorstang; 06-08-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

02 escalade LQ9, dbw here too.
Where did you get your wire harness between the pedal and TAC? Also check your TAC and pedal are correct for your computer. You can cross reference the pedal position sensor on Rock Autos site.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Teching In

I just checked my receipt and everything shows to all be from 2002 escalades but the PCM shows to be for a 5.3 escalade. This is not true as the PCM came up on hp tuners as a 2002 5.3 silverado so I dont trust the paperwork they gave me and it was all shipped so I cant really go see the vehical they took it from to verify.

The cable from the ETC to the pedal came with the package deal. It was from an escalade, so they say. Only had to use a hole saw on the firewall and pop it in.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure the OS that you are flashing into the pcm is a dbw OS? I'm not sure on the Escalades, but not very many Tahoes in 02 were dbw.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Double check the wiring. On mine, the wiring between the pedal and TAC was integrated into the dash harness. I ended up buying an aftermarket one. I'm guessing some may have been damaged.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help guys. It ended up being that they gave me a different ETC module than what the paper work said. I looks like an 03 model I think.

The one on the left is the one I had and gave me the problems
The one on the Right is what I found when I went to a 2001 Sierra C3 LQ9 truck. Also the pedal was for an 03 or so which did not use the 3rd pot so it was coming up with a pot error when I installed the correct ETC module. I had already modified the pedal to fit my setup so I just unbolted the PPS from the side and swapped in the 01. All working well now.

This does kinda make sense that when I pulled the serial buss wires from the ETC that the computer stopped resetting on me.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Oh, another thing I learned when talking to GM service department is they don't know much about the programming of the GM vehicles. But then I talked to the parts department and had them look up an 02 silverado non DBW PCM part number. It matches the DBW Escalade part number so that made me feel better as I didnt have any credits left on my HP Tuner and they would not work with me if the PCM was bad, I would have still had to pay $100 in credits. That pisses me off again just talking about that ordeal but didnt need credits after all so good thing.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Teching In

a friend of mine just had the same problem and it was the program that current proformance flashed in . he sent it back and they fix it they said the program was not set for drive by wire he also had a 2002 lq9 ho hope this help
Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

This might help.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-me-crazy.html

Quick Reply: LQ9 conversion, runs no codes but no DBW response