ups and or fed ex

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ups and or fed ex

drivers. what is your job like, i was going to attempt to get my cdl recently and fill out a app for ups and fed ex. seems like a good job .
Old 06-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Default Ups

Originally Posted by That_guy
drivers. what is your job like, i was going to attempt to get my cdl recently and fill out a app for ups and fed ex. seems like a good job .
Hey man ex UPS driver here, I worked as a route driver in the Conroe center for 7 years and i loved it. It was lots of hard work but it kept me in shape and they have awesome benefits. I started out loading/unloading pkgs in the center and took me 1.5 yrs to become a driver, but for a man with no college degree i made 60k my first year as a driver and my 7th year i made 71k. If i had stayed there i would have topped out pay wise around 75k i think. If you like hard work it will be a great job for you and to be honest i miss it sometimes, but I had a job offer i could not refuse! Well anyhow good luck which ever you choose. Oh ya and FYI you only need a CDL to drive the tractor trailor trucks, for the regular delivery trucks you only need a DOT physical certification which UPS pays for.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

o yea oooooo i thought i would need a cdl. i need to get a dot, i like the part when you said it keeps you in shape.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

They work you like a absolute dog.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

bout fed-ex
Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Both are great jobs, but any transportation company you work for is probably going to be some pretty tough labor. I think UPS has a union, but not sure about FedEx
Old 06-09-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

hmmmmm i thought all you had to do was drive and drop packages off. maybe pick up some a little bit
Old 06-09-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL.. Well, that's the basics. I know that UPS is a fine tuned machine and they measure performance like a *****... They expect you to bust your *** and not get behind. And if you think about it, if you have 70-100 stops per day, you are in and out of that truck 140-200 times per day in this Texas heat. I work for a transportation company and my boss came from UPS. He explained their processes, and it is pretty intense. The company I work for is an armored company so we don't "push" our guys as hard as UPS or FedEx.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KevinR
Both are great jobs, but any transportation company you work for is probably going to be some pretty tough labor. I think UPS has a union, but not sure about FedEx
yea im pretty sure most ups drivers are teamsters. i think there was talk at one point of fedex becoming union too, but im on the construction side of the teamsters so i dont run into a whole lot of those guys.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Literal in my lifetime the closest thing to slave labor I have seen moving 500-600 packages a hour they would not play.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Depends on location also. I was offered a entry level job at the Dallas center.
The current wait list was about 4-5 years just to get full time hours. To get driver they said atleast 8-10 years.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by QuickSilver
Depends on location also. I was offered a entry level job at the Dallas center.
The current wait list was about 4-5 years just to get full time hours. To get driver they said atleast 8-10 years.
The wait to become a driver in DFW is no joke. But I would recommend becomming a temp driver helper during the x-mas season. They pickup all this extra help to deliver packages in neighborhoods on foot, although I used my truck quite often, and your basically a full out delivery person already using the tablet and then hoping on trucks after your route to help them out. Bust your *** and you'll have the area supervisor wanting to make you a driver quick like I did. You will also learn just how much hard work it is as well and may not want to continue with it. I honestly had alot of fun and enjoyed it, but like they said you may have a couple hundred stops and if every stop is getting an 80 lb package....then your in for quite a workout huh? Alot of in and out of the truck, organizing as you go, making decisions on the fly as to route changes....circling back, dealing with apartment complex offices and climbing those damn 3 flights of stairs they have. The day goes by really fast though, you will be in shape for sure, and they do get paid well.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:45 AM
Staging Lane

Joining the Union is your choice and the dues when i worked there were $15 a week. The thing about the Union is they back you up if you **** up and they fight UPS management for better wages, benefits, and help regulate the workload. You see UPS management is non-union so they might not always have the best interest for the drivers and other non-management employees.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by M1T/A
Joining the Union is your choice and the dues when i worked there were $15 a week. The thing about the Union is they back you up if you **** up and they fight UPS management for better wages, benefits, and help regulate the workload. You see UPS management is non-union so they might not always have the best interest for the drivers and other non-management employees.
exactly. dont let paying dues scare ya. your getting more benefits than what you pay in dues. also if you like driving and can get a cdl, linehaul/LTL drivers make good money too. plus with LTL, your not unloading a full truck. a lot of times thats usually drop and hook too.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Some people think driving is easy, HELL NO its not! But still overall the pay was good, at least for the holiday time when I was a temp cover driver 2yrs ago. But now Im back in the HUB busting ***
Old 06-11-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

imma try it out if i ever get the time. im going to try to get my dot tho