Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9/T56 in 1999 Mustang GT? Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9/T56 in 1999 Mustang GT? Questions...

Hey guys, I'm new on this board and new to LS motors. I've been a Ford guy forever but I'm trying to go fast now. I have a clean 1999 Mustang GT that I'd like to put an LQ9 and T56 in. I'd also like to do a single turbo setup. I have a bunch of questions and I hope you guys can bare with me and help me get the info I need to start the swap.

- What year vehicle should I look for to get the LQ9 from? I'll need an F body oil pan I think, right?

- What year T56 should I get and will the bellhousing bolt up to the LQ9?

- Which K member is best for this swap. AJE?

- Can I keep all of my other stock mustang front end components after switching to the AJE K member?

- ECU/harness? I have no idea where to even begin.

- Will I have to have a custom driveshaft made up?

- Does any company make turbo headers for this swap?

Thank in advance for the help guys! Here's a pic of the car this will all be happening to:

Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

Welcome and nice car! I used the AJE for my 01 and yes you can reuse your stock suspension components with it. I'd use as late model LQ9 as you can find and buy the ECU,harness,TAC module,throttle pedal from the same year vehicle. You can use the stock drive shaft, you just have to use a conversion u joint with the slip yoke. As for the oil pan, I used the f-body, but have read of some guys using the Caddy CTS-V pan also.

Don't know about what year T56 or turbo header suppliers.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info! Do you have a build thread on here of your swap that I could check out?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

No not yet, I was waiting to finish it up before making a thread. There are a couple on here that are good though. These cars are very similar to the Foxbody cars so you can get good info from them as well. What are you planning on doing for gauges?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
No not yet, I was waiting to finish it up before making a thread. There are a couple on here that are good though. These cars are very similar to the Foxbody cars so you can get good info from them as well. What are you planning on doing for gauges?
Okay, thanks! I have no idea as far as gauges go. Maybe a custom Autometer gauge pod?
Old 06-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Teching In

bump... any more opinions out there
Old 06-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Teching In

My strategy is to search search search search. Try to find as many build threads out there as possible.

Its an overwhelming amount of information but it gets answers. Then once u have an idea...guys will clarify your thoughts quicker than just answering a blank sheet of paper...if that makes any since.

I will be watching what you do, as i have a 95 that i want to do a lq9/t56 swap in.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nmcgrawj
My strategy is to search search search search. Try to find as many build threads out there as possible.

Its an overwhelming amount of information but it gets answers. Then once u have an idea...guys will clarify your thoughts quicker than just answering a blank sheet of paper...if that makes any since.

I will be watching what you do, as i have a 95 that i want to do a lq9/t56 swap in.
Yes there is alot of info, I started a notebook and would write things down that I thought necessary. I have websites,threads,etc. written down that I look over repeatedly, hopefully it makes everything go smoothly.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:25 AM
On The Tree

You can use the GM power steering pump, it flows 3 lpm instead of 2 lpm, so it may seem "twitchy". some people go manual brakes and manual steering, both ways work, I am staying with power... you will need an adapter hose to go from the GM to Ford component, the low pressure is just a hose and clamps.

use truck manifolds and turn them forward.

on my 1998 GT, and LM7 I left the stock alternator bracket on.

LS1 intake manifold is a good swap on the 5.3, you will need crossover plugs/and single tube from a LS6.

make your own wiring harness, it took me 7 hours and it came for free with the engine.

the OBDII pin 2, goes to pin 58 off the PCM (that was a bitch for me)

use your stock cluster, you might need a dakota box to convert the Tach signal, speedo can be run off either the t56 tranny, or the ABS sensor on a front wheel (will lose your ABS)

T56 - use a LS1 style tranny, the LT1 has a different bell housing, and the input shaft is about an inch shorter.. make sure you get the whole swap cause you will convert from cable to hydraulic clutch (although there is a thread on how to swap to a cable setup)

Thats all the info I have for now. My single turbo Stang should be driving in 2 weeks or so, just got the turbo on today, but needed a 1/8" NPT double male adapter.

-Garrett

FOLLOW THIS:

http://www.lt1swap.com/99-02_vortec_pcm.htm
Old 08-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Teching In

bump...

I'm back on track looking to get this started. I'm back to searching for a comprehensive parts list and trying to figure out how to make this happen. Feel free to chime in...
Old 08-22-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlackCherry68
bump...

I'm back on track looking to get this started. I'm back to searching for a comprehensive parts list and trying to figure out how to make this happen. Feel free to chime in...
Just dive in and start accumulating parts. It's really not that bad of a swap to do. The Chevy stuff fits in there better than the Ford stuff did! I have some minor issues to work out and then will be daily driving this thing. Hopefully I can get a video up in the next couple of weeks.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want to go turbo use an lq4 instead of an lq9. the lower compression will help when boosted.

on my fuel system for my lx i was goin to sump the tank, 2 walbros, larger fuel lines, boost ref fpr, aftermarket rails, and 60lb injectors
Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Most of your questions have been answered, my advice is start a shopping list now. I started mine late and left out a bunch i could have gotten all at once and been done with it. When i started buying parts i kept in mind that i wanted to go turbo, so my fuel system can handle 700-1000hp, but im running the stock 5.3 till i get to building the kit.

Also realize the tranny will need some upgrading, im not sure how much hp a stock t56 can handle, but its not what an lq4/lq9 turbo will put out. Someone else can chime in on stock t56 hp grenade threshold.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Great thread, very informative as I'm thinking of doing this myself to my 1995. Can't beat the weight and power of these aluminum motors honestly... And even the irons like you are doing are stupid cheap compared to having to buy a DART. You can get a whole LQ4 with L92 heads for under half of what a DART block costs lol.

Quick Reply: LQ9/T56 in 1999 Mustang GT? Questions...