LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

4L60 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60 Problems

I know this should be in the transmission section, but it doesn't seem as if I'll get as many answers over there. Heres my problem. Sunday, I was driving my car, I went to accelerate from 40 to get over and pass on the freeway. The trans (4L60 non electronic - it's a 93) went to kick down, clunked and revved for a second.... Let off the throttle and it went back into OD with near no power. Coming to a stop in D, it will not move once it should be in first. So, from a stop it does not move in D. If I put it in 3 it will move through 1-2-3 no problem and I can manually shift into OD, but it still has no power. Any idea's? I'm no trans expert.

Now, my second question. Should the trans need rebuilt, I would like to do a decent trans. I want to do a stall, and shift kit. Future mods this winter will be most likely the LT4 hotcam kit along with new lifters, heads ported, longtubes, ORY, probably SLP exhaust, and a few more bolt ons. Any suggestions on the stall and shift kit to accomodate those mods?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Anyone...?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

mine is doing the same thing, I am thinking it is the electric shift solenoid but i dont know if you have that in yours or not
Old 06-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by djjab57
mine is doing the same thing, I am thinking it is the electric shift solenoid but i dont know if you have that in yours or not
Yeah, mine is non electronic. Going to drop it off at a trans shop tomorrow to get it looked at. Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas before hand.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Teching In

my third gen camaro 700r4 did something like that it would kinda work when it cooled down. it need to be rebuilt.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kota04SXT
I know this should be in the transmission section, but it doesn't seem as if I'll get as many answers over there. Heres my problem. Sunday, I was driving my car, I went to accelerate from 40 to get over and pass on the freeway. The trans (4L60 non electronic - it's a 93) went to kick down, clunked and revved for a second.... Let off the throttle and it went back into OD with near no power. Coming to a stop in D, it will not move once it should be in first. So, from a stop it does not move in D. If I put it in 3 it will move through 1-2-3 no problem and I can manually shift into OD, but it still has no power. Any idea's? I'm no trans expert.

Now, my second question. Should the trans need rebuilt, I would like to do a decent trans. I want to do a stall, and shift kit. Future mods this winter will be most likely the LT4 hotcam kit along with new lifters, heads ported, longtubes, ORY, probably SLP exhaust, and a few more bolt ons. Any suggestions on the stall and shift kit to accomodate those mods?

Thanks in advance!
Could be the 2-4 band or the apply servo. Rebuild time most likley. as for the second question You will need to have the trans BUILT and not just rebuilt. If you start making power on a stock rebuild you will just blow it up again at some point down the line. Have it built and throw a stall of your choice in there, I'd say 2500 or more depending on what you use the car for. Most like the GO BIG OR GO HOME method on stalls but just on the street I'd say 2500 or up to what ever you are cool with. When you have the trans built they can do a shift kit in it.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Could be the 2-4 band or the apply servo. Rebuild time most likley. as for the second question You will need to have the trans BUILT and not just rebuilt. If you start making power on a stock rebuild you will just blow it up again at some point down the line. Have it built and throw a stall of your choice in there, I'd say 2500 or more depending on what you use the car for. Most like the GO BIG OR GO HOME method on stalls but just on the street I'd say 2500 or up to what ever you are cool with. When you have the trans built they can do a shift kit in it.
I agree on the go big or go home. That's what I want to do. I want it built. This isn't my DD so I don't really care how long it's down. About getting it built, what all do I need to have done, like I said, I don't know much about internals of trans beyond basics. Can just a regular trans shop build it? We don't really have any performance places around here. I've never had a trans "built" before, just standard rebuilds. So, this is somewhat new to me. Thanks for all the advice
Old 06-10-2010, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

I posted over on the other site but,just incase you dont see it,make sure you get a trans cooler installed.Heat is the number one killer of all transmissions..that and beating the hell out of them..
Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by my1994z28
I posted over on the other site but,just incase you dont see it,make sure you get a trans cooler installed.Heat is the number one killer of all transmissions..that and beating the hell out of them..
Yes, I will be putting in a trans cooler and also a trans temp gauge after I get it built.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kota04SXT
I agree on the go big or go home. That's what I want to do. I want it built. This isn't my DD so I don't really care how long it's down. About getting it built, what all do I need to have done, like I said, I don't know much about internals of trans beyond basics. Can just a regular trans shop build it? We don't really have any performance places around here. I've never had a trans "built" before, just standard rebuilds. So, this is somewhat new to me. Thanks for all the advice
There are all sorts of things you can do to them when you build it but what you need really depends on where you are going to end up as far as power. If your huge on torque you will want to go with bigger shaft and maybe 5 pinion plants. On any rebuild on a 4l60 or 4l60e you need a beast sunshell and a really good set of clutch packs, band and I say forget the corvette servo and go big on that. No sense in blowing it out the side of the case if you get up there on power or beat on it. As for builders most like preformabuilt. They know how to build one for power and make it last for the most part. You could have a standard builder build it but the question is does he know what he is doing with the parts. I bought a monster transmission over the preformabuilt because I live close to them and I am now on my 3rd one in 2 years. For the cost of a standard rebuild it will run you about 1100 to 1200. for a preformabuilt it will cost you 2k but there are a bunch of people using thier level 2 at the track on a weekly baisis launching at 4krpms and running 500 to 600 hp at it with no problems. The bigest thing with the 4l60 trans is heat and getting the fluid level right. It sounds easy but you can be a 1/4 to 1/2 quart off and it will have problems.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jaycenk
There are all sorts of things you can do to them when you build it but what you need really depends on where you are going to end up as far as power. If your huge on torque you will want to go with bigger shaft and maybe 5 pinion plants. On any rebuild on a 4l60 or 4l60e you need a beast sunshell and a really good set of clutch packs, band and I say forget the corvette servo and go big on that. No sense in blowing it out the side of the case if you get up there on power or beat on it. As for builders most like preformabuilt. They know how to build one for power and make it last for the most part. You could have a standard builder build it but the question is does he know what he is doing with the parts. I bought a monster transmission over the preformabuilt because I live close to them and I am now on my 3rd one in 2 years. For the cost of a standard rebuild it will run you about 1100 to 1200. for a preformabuilt it will cost you 2k but there are a bunch of people using thier level 2 at the track on a weekly baisis launching at 4krpms and running 500 to 600 hp at it with no problems. The bigest thing with the 4l60 trans is heat and getting the fluid level right. It sounds easy but you can be a 1/4 to 1/2 quart off and it will have problems.
I actually found a local shop today I think I am going to go with. I talked with the owner for about 30 mins, he seems like he knows what he is doing. My biggest thing is deciding on a stall now. This winter I plan on doing the Hotcam kit, and having the heads ported, a tune and an MSD opti. I'm not looking for 600hp, I just want it to be something I can take to the track and run a decent time, and be streetable. Any suggestions? It's not a DD, so I'm not worried about too high of a stall. But, I don't really know what to go with.

Quick Reply: 4L60 Problems