Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ls7 sticking clutch pedal?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls7 sticking clutch pedal?????

I just removed a Mcleod twin disk clutch in good shape which was not for my liking so I went with a LS7 clutch kit with new gm slave and throw out. the shop that installed the new ls7 says that the fluid was real dirty which they bled like 6 times and he did not like how the pedal is sticking. So he recomends I replace the clutch master cylinder. What due you guys think???? My firehawk has 19,800 orig miles so everything is in great shape I would think. The clutch pedal sticking only occurs when trying to park the car in the garage or in heavy traffic. Once you driving it is fine on the open road or if you catch an ocasional light the pedal is fine it's when you are trying to park or pull out of a spot. Any recomendations would be great?????? I was thinking a tick adjustable or maybe a new gm master what due guys think? thanks
Old 06-10-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine did this for a few months and now its fine..they say it will adjust itself after awhile...
Old 06-10-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh and when i say a few months what i really mean it like 500 miles lol...i drive my car very little
Old 06-10-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SVThis
mine did this for a few months and now its fine..they say it will adjust itself after awhile...
I have only put 130 miles since the install and no abuse I was told to let brake in atleast 500 miles? How many miles did it take you to get better??
Old 06-10-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

like i said bout 500 miles...so i guess long enough for it to break in...
Old 06-11-2010, 06:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what didn't you like about the twin disk?
Old 06-11-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Red99TA
The twin disk is a very strong clutch just was never for me I don't take my car to the track and I don't street race I'm passed that in my life. The pedal feel was way to heavy compared to the ls7. When the shop removed the mcleod it was in great shape which I sold it used and paid for everything for the ls7 swap.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Location: Just because the voices aren't real, doesn't mean they're not right!

Same here. Which version? Was it the RST or the RXT? Was it already in the car and you bought it that way, or did you install it yourself?

Old 06-11-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

It was already in hawk when I bought it. I sent pics into mcleod to see what it retailed for$1400 for the twin disk and flywheel and pressure plate. Which worked out great cause it took care of the cost of the ls7 and labor.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by naperws6
The twin disk is a very strong clutch just was never for me I don't take my car to the track and I don't street race I'm passed that in my life. The pedal feel was way to heavy compared to the ls7. When the shop removed the mcleod it was in great shape which I sold it used and paid for everything for the ls7 swap.
That's strange b/c I just went from my stock LS6 clutch w/ a Tick MC to the McLeod RST and the pedal effort is basically the same.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

That's strange b/c I just went from my stock LS6 clutch w/ a Tick MC to the McLeod RST and the pedal effort is basically the same.
very strange. I just want to fix this pedal sticking maybe I need to get a Tick mc. Right know the pedal feel is a lot smoother than with the mcleod. I just don't want to waste money on a tick mc or a new gm mc. I just wanna be sure which is it breaking time or new mc???
Old 06-11-2010, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Location: Just because the voices aren't real, doesn't mean they're not right!

Originally Posted by naperws6
very strange. I just want to fix this pedal sticking maybe I need to get a Tick mc. Right know the pedal feel is a lot smoother than with the mcleod. I just don't want to waste money on a tick mc or a new gm mc. I just wanna be sure which is it breaking time or new mc???
Something to consider with the Tick is that you will experience some increase in pedal pressure over stock. Some say 10% some say 15%, but regardless, there will be some. It is however, a very good M/C and it is fully adjustable for the pedal travel too in order to get it just right for clutch actuation. I have one in my C5 and the pedal pressure increase for me was not a problem. YMMV
Old 06-12-2010, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to really clean out all the fluid. Here's what I did on mine; draw the fluid out of the master, wipe down the bowl, refill with clean fluid. Put a socket on the bleeder (being careful not to lose it in the bell housing) and loosen the bleeder, then I slip a piece of clear hose over the end of the bleeder and gravity bleed it until it runs clear. Close the bleeder finger tight, pump the clutch several times and gravity bleed it again. Tighten the bleeder, refill with fluid, bleed with a Mity Vac.

After that, when the fluid starts to look a little dirty, draw it out, clean the bown, refill with clean fluid - no bleeding necessary.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Teching In

If it helps any, my mechanic just put in an ls7 clutch about a month ago and i had the same problem. I just bought a new master cylinder and works great now. I also had very diry fluid. Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

replace master.. i just did an ls7 install new flywheel, clutch, throwoutbearing and master. 600 miles so far and it performs great. not a single problem.. just allow for a good 400 to 500 miles for break-in
Old 06-17-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jrm1368
If it helps any, my mechanic just put in an ls7 clutch about a month ago and i had the same problem. I just bought a new master cylinder and works great now. I also had very diry fluid. Hope this helps.
Okay I will take your advice.

Originally Posted by CamaroZstyle28
replace master.. i just did an ls7 install new flywheel, clutch, throwoutbearing and master. 600 miles so far and it performs great. not a single problem.. just allow for a good 400 to 500 miles for break-in
Good to hear your happy. I have the new master cylinder in my hand. It was very cheap $150 from a chevy dealer. Now i have to get it installed.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CamaroZstyle28
thanks for the great advice. All I can say is wow it feels like a new fbody of the assembly line with the new ls7 clutch and new master. Thanks again everyone for your great advice problem is fixed thank GOD...

Quick Reply: ls7 sticking clutch pedal?????