Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

noob question about c5

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default noob question about c5

In the market for a ls1. I really like the vettes.
I found a 97 c5 6 speed stock with 113000 miles for 9. Really considering buying

What's the difference in a c5 compared to a z06
What would I need to do to make a c5 run with a z06
Thanks
Brock
Old 06-11-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brizzle815
In the market for a ls1. I really like the vettes.
I found a 97 c5 6 speed stock with 113000 miles for 9. Really considering buying

What's the difference in a c5 compared to a z06
What would I need to do to make a c5 run with a z06
Thanks
Brock
The Z06 can weigh up to 110lbs less depending on options on the coupe (and if the Z06 owner hasn't replaced the wheels and exhaust). The Z06 has lower gearing via it's M12 tranny. The Z06 has 40-60hp more due to it's slightly better heads and cam. To make a 6 speed coupe run with one would require 4.10 gears, a moderate cam, 01+ C5 intake (LS6 style), cold air intake and long tube headers. Add a big cam and aftermarket heads to exceed it. The stock clutch will need to be replaced at some point. It may hold for a little while, but I wouldn't count on it. Also if you're interested in how the car handles, look for the Z51 option. The base suspension stinks for any fun in the twisties.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99C5JA
The Z06 can weigh up to 110lbs less depending on options on the coupe (and if the Z06 owner hasn't replaced the wheels and exhaust). The Z06 has lower gearing via it's M12 tranny. The Z06 has 40-60hp more due to it's slightly better heads and cam. To make a 6 speed coupe run with one would require 4.10 gears, a moderate cam, 01+ C5 intake (LS6 style), cold air intake and long tube headers. Add a big cam and aftermarket heads to exceed it. The stock clutch will need to be replaced at some point. It may hold for a little while, but I wouldn't count on it. Also if you're interested in how the car handles, look for the Z51 option. The base suspension stinks for any fun in the twisties.
Correct on all accounts.... I would add that even with the mods, you will be hard pressed to find a "stock" Z06 to run with....Many Z06 owners add a cam/headers, etc. and dyno anywhere form 410-440 rwhp.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Does the 97 I. Mention sound like a good deal.

I got about 12 to 13 what do you guys think I could get for that

I know most z06 owners will mod there cars I just need to keep up with a few of my buddies in there gt stangs and gtos
Thanks for the post
Old 06-11-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99C5JA
I agree with almost everything here. The MN12 with a stock diff is equal to the MN6 with 3.90's. Not 4.10s. I've done the math on this.

Aside from that, the suspension in the Z06 is FAR beyond the Z51. If you're getting a car without the Z51, upgrade to Pfadt suspension... You won't regret it. If you get a Z51, upgrade the sway bars at least. I have friends with Z51s and non-Z51 coupes and they've all said the suspension in my car feels WAY better.

I know most z06 owners will mod there cars I just need to keep up with a few of my buddies in there gt stangs and gtos
Thanks for the post
I don't know what condition the car is in, but as long as the 97 had the ring recall done back in the days, it's probably a good car. 9K is about what it should be. C5s have dropped in price like crazy. Check to see if the previous owner did the column lock blocker mod and see if you hear any thumping in the shifting while you test drive the car.

The 97s didn't have too many options so it should be pretty light. Assuming it's bone stock, it should run 13.3 in the 1/4mile in good conditions. Put a Vararam intake on it, long tubes and tune. You'll make 350RW and you're going to smoking those GTOs and the GTs will have been smoked from the beginning.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I agree with almost everything here. The MN12 with a stock diff is equal to the MN6 with 3.90's. Not 4.10s. I've done the math on this.

Aside from that, the suspension in the Z06 is FAR beyond the Z51. If you're getting a car without the Z51, upgrade to Pfadt suspension... You won't regret it. If you get a Z51, upgrade the sway bars at least. I have friends with Z51s and non-Z51 coupes and they've all said the suspension in my car feels WAY better.
The 3.90's would be closer numerically, but the 4.10's would help a cam + header car hang with the Z06 better. For a heads cam car I think 3.90's would be more optimal, but the question was the minimum to equal a Z06.

As for the Z51 comment, it's very comparable to the FE4 suspension. The Z51 has slightly smaller bars, the same front spring and slightly softer rear spring. The shocks are different, but both are good. The Z06's largest handling advantage stock for stock was it's wider non runflat tires. I've driven a stock Z51 car with non runflats and a stock Z06. The Z06 has it's advantages, but it's not night and day. I've seen FRC's with non runflats and Z51 coupes with non runflats put up competitive times with Z06's on courses that don't favor it's power advantage (stock class). Get into the modified realm and it's who has the most $$ and skill. Heck the C5 is such a good platform even the verts offer excellent handling and are competitive (when equipped right).

Last edited by 99C5JA; 06-11-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the post
If it's in good shape that doesn't sound bad. As far as keeping up with Stang GTs and GTOs a stock C5 6spd is a low 13 to high 12 car. So unless this car's engine is very tired from the mileage, it should hang alright. My car ran a 13.1 @ 111mph stock for reference.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

What kind of ring recall.
Can I just call a dealer with vin to check if recall has been done
The guy I'm buying it from is the third owner just some rich kid that his daddy bought car for him he has own a little over a year. Not sure if he will know of any kind of column lock mod is done.
Is there any thing I can look for to see if column lock mod is done
Car seem to drive really good really don't have anything to compare to unless I go out and drive another vette
Thanks for the post and info I'm really excited
Old 06-11-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think he's referring to the piston ring recall. Some LS1 motors experienced excessive oil consumption with high RPM low load conditions due to ring flutter. Usually this was more prevalent in manual cars due to engine braking and the tendency for the driver to hold lower gears longer. Not all cars experienced it. Ask the previous owner if he's experienced any excessive oil consumption. To see if the factory column lock repairs have been done, just have any dealer run the VIN. If it hasn't been done the dealer should still do it under the recall.

Quick Reply: noob question about c5