LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Valves to use with 1.6RR's

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Valves to use with 1.6RR's

1.6 RR's where put on my car by the previous owner, and I noticed that the springs where never upgraded, maybe preplaced, but it's still the LT1 springs I believe.

Should I just get a set of LT4 springs or what would you guys suggest? I have a stock cam, and I plan on doing the LE2 setup within the next year or so, complete with all new head/valvetrain internals then. Should I just leave the stock springs or just do something like LT4's for now?
Old 06-12-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the cost of Lt4 springs it would be cheaper to use these springs and the light weight retainers for now.
Since you plan on better heads etc. they will most likely come with much better springs but for now Lt4s will suffice.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just drop the LT4s in, $50 at most and its well spent insuring you don't drop a valve or even just get valve float. All you need is the spring, LT4 and LT1 use the same retainers, locks...
Old 06-12-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

so my retainers/locks will suffice for now, even with the 1.6's and LT4 springs, if I understand correctly?

do any sponsors carry them (LT4 springs) by chance?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
so my retainers/locks will suffice for now, even with the 1.6's and LT4 springs, if I understand correctly?

do any sponsors carry them (LT4 springs) by chance?
Yes and I have no clue. I know Jegs and Summit carry them.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:34 AM
TECH Junkie

back up top with another question.

I am going to pick up some LT4 springs, just verifying these are the ones I want?-

http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance...95494/10002/-1

Also, I was wondering about having this done professionally. How long should it take a shop and what does the install process include?
Old 06-25-2010, 03:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you are paying someone to do the install I wouldn't do it considering you are planning on an le2 setup in the near future. If you are serious about having your heads worked anytime soon than I would do one of two things.

1. Contact the head porter of your choice and see what springs/locks he would recommend for your setup and have them installed that way you are only buying one set of springs saving yourself the added expense when you send the heads out.

2. Which would be the way I would personally go, get some stamped 1.5 stock rockers for dirt cheap out of the classifieds, install them yourself (the install is nowhere near a spring swap) and hang on to the 1.6s to reinstall once the heads are ported and the springs are up to the task.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

id just keep the lt1s or now if ur doing le swap soon. the lt1 springs can hold u[p to it as long as you dont rev the **** outof it. i ran 1.6s one lt1 springs for 3 years and i DID rev the **** out of it lol. 150+ mph runs and everything
Old 06-25-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I ran lt1 springs with my 1.6 for the 3 years Ive owned my car now, and I dropped a valve last year and had to replace a head ...so I'd rather not go thru that again.

The LE2 setup will probably not come until next spring/summer realistically, and I dont want to have to worry about the LT1 springs for the entire summer of cruising...

The list of things before the LE2 setup include:
Dynaspark Opti, Yank SS3600, GMMG exhaust, Front tires, Strano Sway Bars...

and whatever other impulse buys I have between now and then, and this is on a part-time employment, college student budget...

does anybody have any idea on an estimate for how long it should take for a professional shop to do springs?
Old 06-25-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just checked the labor on changing the springs and that job pays 5.1 hours and the average shop rate being 80-90 per hour you do the math. Its not worth 400 dollars to install 40 dollar springs that are going to be maxed out as soon as they are installed. Put decent springs on it now or wait until you have the heads done. At least if you put decent springs on now which will only cost an additional 150 at the time of install you can install a cam somewhere down the road if it isn't in the budget to have the heads done at the time. If you are paying to have the work done, why limit yourself to lt4 springs.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

Just go to AZ and rent the spring compressor tool, then follow the guide on shoe box's site for changing springs. Get yourself a good magnet and you can have it done in an afternoon. If you are reusing stock retainers/locks you probably aren't going to be checking each installed height (doubt a shop would either) so just save the coin and learn something in the process.

Those are the right springs.

Quick Reply: Valves to use with 1.6RR's