LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

finishing my top end -would you run CC lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default finishing my top end -would you run CC lifters?

Well I'm back fishing again altho my back is still junk but I've got a massive paycheck coming so its time to get my z back in action! I've got 2 weeks to get parts then I'm going to have a week off to work on it since the boat is getting hauled out to get some work done as well.

I'm going to swap on my LE2's and LS1 lid set up on, remove my ac & cat swapping it out for a frozen boost dummy cat and putting a gmmg resonator behind that right before the axle. and hopefully I can find a ported intake in time, if I can I'll pick up a prof products TB as well. I also might get some LT's, whats the deal w/ LPP? are they still only being sold in batches or what? I was also thinking of gettin an msd cap and rotor too, I always say if it aint broke, dont fix it but I'm going to hit 100k miles this year.. idk thoughts on that?

I bought some NIB comp R lifters over the winter for cheap but now I'm weary about running them realizing they like only a 1/4 turn pre-load. is that anything to worry about? how have they worked for any one thats used them before? I was thinkin about pickin up some LS7 lifters, should I just go ahead and do that?

also does anyone know where I can buy some LT4 valves?
and can I re-use the imp HG's I threw on last year or do I need new ones?(the engine has only idled since install)

I've also been wondering if I should get some new valve springs. the springs that I'm currently running are sort of a mystery. they were supposed to be low miles cc918's that came w/ a pair of heads I bought but the specs don't match up. my machinist said their good for .600lift (I'm @ .574I/.541E) and have 150lbs on the seat w/ an 1.845" installed height, 420lbs open @ 1.150" & they bind @ 1.100" what would you guys do? (I'm running AI's 224/236 cam)

I'm also going to grab a UMI full length TQ arm w/ a relo bracket and get my rear end rebuilt w/ some 3.90's. then I'll probably have to wait til the boat is back in action to get some new shocks and springs which I desperately need.. I might just get a watts link while I'm at it, depending on how much I spend on the shocks & springs. I also want to get a sunoco hood this season and upgrade my sound system and try to limit myself at that.. ehhh maybe some new wheels as well

Last edited by z_speedfreak; 06-14-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No need for anything other than LS7s as far as lifters are concerned.

Once the gasket is compressed, you shouldn't re-use it. Definitely get some new gaskets.

Why are you interested in the LT4 valves? They don't offer anything over any other aftermarket valve.

You can have the springs tested to see if they work for what you need.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
No need for anything other than LS7s as far as lifters are concerned.

Once the gasket is compressed, you shouldn't re-use it. Definitely get some new gaskets.

Why are you interested in the LT4 valves? They don't offer anything over any other aftermarket valve.

You can have the springs tested to see if they work for what you need.
I already have the CC lifters but I bought them dirt cheap so I'm sure I could sell em and not loose any money if I wanted. I know the LS7's are a quality piece but are ther any drawbacks or many problems with the comp's so that I shouldn't run them and get some LS7's instead?
the springs have been checked out and work for my set up but I have no idea how many miles, the guy could of been BS'n about low miles just like he did with what kind they are.
I was thinking about getting some LT4 valves (depending on the price since the LE2's are all set up) because their light weight sodium filled are they not?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember a few years back when people were having problems with comp lifters coming apart in the motor. I run LS7's, really like em, and wouldn't run anything else.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Hmm i have CC lifters aswell that i have yet to install.. whats the deal? i thought CC stuff was good.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had comp 875s in my motor since 2005, i'm throwing them back in the new motor. if you want stock replacements i've got some brand new crane lifters i'll let go for 125.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had comp lifters in my motor for over 10 years with the CC305 cam. Never had one problem and they worked flawlessly. Swapped them out (just good insurance) with some LS7s when we put the new cam in last year, but the guy I sold them too with the cam hasn't had any problems as well. If their new I'd save your money and go with them as Comp makes quality lifters.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

good to know, thanks
Old 06-15-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Morel's in my Procharged 383 in my Mote Carlo SS and Caddy Racing lifters in my new LT1.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

yeah I think I'll just use the comps I have since I just found out I need to replace or at the least sleeve the valve guides on the LE2's I want to throw on.
DAVE00- so how much pre-load did you run? 1/4 turn or more? I was just worried a rocker would slip off a valve or somin w/ that little amount of pre-load but I guess that fear is pretty un-founded.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
yeah I think I'll just use the comps I have since I just found out I need to replace or at the least sleeve the valve guides on the LE2's I want to throw on.
DAVE00- so how much pre-load did you run? 1/4 turn or more? I was just worried a rocker would slip off a valve or somin w/ that little amount of pre-load but I guess that fear is pretty un-founded.
Honestly man, I didn't do the rocker adj as my cam was installed by Pavlock and they did all the setup. The general consensus on the LT1 is 1/4 turn past zero lash. Just start with that and adjust if you need to.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 AM
10 Second Club

i've always run mine with no more than 1/8 turn of preload.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
i've always run mine with no more than 1/8 turn of preload.
wow! so 1/4 isn't that bad I guess.. how long have you ran them like that?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

since 2005, probably 30k miles
Old 06-18-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow! so 1/4 isn't that bad I guess.. how long have you ran them like that?

I had a set in my car for 6 years/10-12,000 miles without any problems. A couple of things to keep in mind with them...1) CompCams tech support people I spoke with were ADAMANT that these lifters get no more that 1/8 turn preload. It's not easy to adjust to that small amount of pre-load, but CC says THAT'S the number. I initially set mine at 1/4 turn, because they were "clicky" at 1/8, but the CC guy said NO WAY, 1/8 turn, and they ARE a litle noisier that OE lifters. 2) I found it necessary to have the engine FULLY warmed up, with ALL components expanded to their full dimensions, when adjusting them. Otherwise, they'll be really noisy.

I took mine out, and put the OE lifters back in, a few weeks ago. They were a little clicky, and it just annoyed me...especially in the winter. I don't drive my Camaro in the winter, but I do start it up 2-3 times, and let it warm up, to circulate the oil, lubricate the seals/gaskets, and move the valve springs around. In the cold, the CC lifters were really noisy until the engine warmed up.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

so 1/8th is what ther supposed to be at.. hmm, I wonder why CC designed them like that, makes no sense to me
Old 06-19-2010, 06:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so 1/8th is what ther supposed to be at.. hmm, I wonder why CC designed them like that, makes no sense to me
I assume it's because they designed them with less overall plunger travel, to allow for higher RPM capability. As we "old timers" used to call them, anti-pump up lifters.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

ooo gotcha, makes sense now

Quick Reply: finishing my top end -would you run CC lifters?