LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil sending unit/oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil sending unit/oil pressure

well since I bought my car the oil pressure gauge hasn't worked as soon as you started the car the gauge would go all the way up past 80 which has worried me but I finally got around to testing the oil pressure I had to buy a specially socket the results were pretty good but my question is how many wires should be on the plug on a 1994 mine has 1 and I was wondering if there should be more anyways heres some pics
At idle

around 3000

heres the plug
Old 06-16-2010, 07:30 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is just one, actualy. You did good on swapping it, thats what happened to mine only I smashed mine in the face with a header.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

ya its just one
Old 06-17-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

If you do replace the sensor go with a GM unit, you can do a search in here with the people having bad luck (including me) with units from the auto parts. And best price i found was from gmpartsdirect.com. Also no matter where you get one, early 94's like mine have the sensor on bottom of the car and then they changed it in later 94 to the back of the intake which looks look what you have. Difference is early is 1/4 thread and later is 1/8 thread
Old 06-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

so its prob the sending unit itself that went bad or the gauge?the needle just go"s as far as it can after I start the car
Old 06-17-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

if it just stays maxed out it sounds like a bad connection, Like when when its unplugged it shoots to the max
Old 06-17-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup sounds like the sending unit itself. I relocated mine to the top of the block as well. I have went through 3 of them while it was above the filter. Due to header install, header removal, and then the people that did my oil change broke it once. I put in a plug at first but now i have a mechanical gauge mounted inside the engine bay now instead. So if the sensor goes out again I will still be able to make sure i have oil pressure.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:43 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is the sending unit, thats what they do when they fail they max out on the dash.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had different results with different sensors.
O'reillys and Advanced Auto Parts sensors (gray plastic body) tend to read 25# and be a bit sluggish to respond especially when oil is not a full operating temps. This is with the mechanical guage reading 20#. I am on my second one of these right now.

Carquest sensor (black plastic body) tends to read as accurate as the mechnaical guage and is very quick to respond but crapped out on me. It would stay stuck at various places 20 -40 on the guage when between idle and 4K RPM. I now have a new one of these swapped out under warranty ready to be used. between 20 -40 on the guage.

I am beginning to think the white spring in the pump, which builds up to around 80# of pressure at cold startup, might be frigggin up the sensors. I cant understand what else could cause me to have such bad luck with them.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I have had different results with different sensors.
O'reillys and Advanced Auto Parts sensors (gray plastic body) tend to read 25# and be a bit sluggish to respond especially when oil is not a full operating temps. This is with the mechanical guage reading 20#. I am on my second one of these right now.

Carquest sensor (black plastic body) tends to read as accurate as the mechnaical guage and is very quick to respond but crapped out on me. It would stay stuck at various places 20 -40 on the guage when between idle and 4K RPM. I now have a new one of these swapped out under warranty ready to be used. between 20 -40 on the guage.

I am beginning to think the white spring in the pump, which builds up to around 80# of pressure at cold startup, might be frigggin up the sensors. I cant understand what else could cause me to have such bad luck with them.
I just got a cheap duracrap that has a life time warranty and if if read very inaccurate I was just gonna return it but it read about the exact same as my mac pressure tester around 60-80 cold and around 40-60 warm I think those numbers are good

Quick Reply: oil sending unit/oil pressure