LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Engine bit the dust

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Rockstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine bit the dust

Well, about 2 weeks ago my radiator cracked open and it over heated.
Yesterday I put a new radiator in and test drove it, it still drove as bad as it did right before it cracked. It died right before I got to my driveway.
Tried starting it up, and I hear this horrible metallic screaming.
Today, after letting her cool completely down, I started it and it cranked up, but the sound is still there, and worse actually. Checked the oil, there's antifreeze in it.
I'll be pulling the engine to get a handle on exactly what the problem is, I'm expecting a cracked head at minimum, but I believe it is much worse than that.

Depending on what I find I'll either be rebuilding it, or possibly parting it out. This is the tough part for me, I really enjoy this car, but what I have wanted for a long time is a pre 74 C3 to restore.
Until it all pans out I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts.
I'll keep the thread updated with pics of what I find.
I might add that it has 228K miles, it had a good run.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That really sucks man! I hope the best for you and yur motor...

I figured if my car was ever done for it'd be because I wrapped it around a telephone pole, or a light pole, ect...

I've always said If I crash my car, I'd take my motor and tranny and put them in a Chevelle, or '77 Trans am or something oldschool...tough break tho
Old 06-17-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a lot of work on the other parts of the car, and the body is in good condition, I'd say go ahead and fix it. That way you'd know what you have and can rebuild it the way you want. If the rest of the car is even a little beat, just part it out because LT1s are dirt cheap right now, especially those with around 100k miles.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

you blew a headgasket when it overheated, dumped coolant into the oil, and then drove it which most likely killed every bearing in the engine.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:36 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by vtec
you blew a headgasket when it overheated, dumped coolant into the oil, and then drove it which most likely killed every bearing in the engine.
This

I bet the ringlands look like hell too.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Rockstar

I believe yall are exactly right.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vtec
Yup id have to say he hit it right on the nose. Thats not so so bad tho. with the mileage yours had it was due for a rebuild anyway. a simple rebuild shouldnt cost much...
Old 06-18-2010, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a similar situation. My water pump (mechanical I should add) let go on me instantly at 70mph and the engine overheated.

I replaced the water pump and the engine never overheated again. Never ran hot, no white smoke, no shitty mileage or performance, but one day about 3 weeks after the initial water pump failure I went to start it and it was hydrolocked.

I ended up pulling the motor (figuring something might have been bent or broken and didn't want to take the chance on just a head gasket change) and rebuilding it. Of course I'm rebuilding mine for boost, but you can just do a stock rebuild or something. FWIW, my only damage was the head gasket - but since I already pulled the motor I figured why not?

Or instead of rebuilding you could get a used motor off of ls1tech.com, camaroz28.com, craigslist, junkyard, etc.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

LS7 swap

Quick Reply: Engine bit the dust