Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Three Prong/Wire Cigarette Lighter Harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Three Prong/Wire Cigarette Lighter Harness

What does each wire go to? Thanks.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be mistaken...but I believe one is 12v+, other is ground, and the final is earth ground. The first ground will connect to a wire, and the last would connect to something metal on the frame. Somebody correct me if Im wrong about the third wire.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Are we talking about the harness that connects to the back of the cigarette lighter socket or is this some adapter plug you want to use? If it's the factory lighter harness then the third wire is power for illumination - 12V when the dash lights are on.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Are we talking about the harness that connects to the back of the cigarette lighter socket or is this some adapter plug you want to use? If it's the factory lighter harness then the third wire is power for illumination - 12V when the dash lights are on.
Yours lights up?
Old 01-17-2004, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Are we talking about the harness that connects to the back of the cigarette lighter socket .
Yes, that's the one.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:32 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
Yours lights up?
You know - I never looked! I was just speaking in general terms. That is the most common use for that third wire. (And no, mine doesn't light up... )

Believe it or not, there is no wiring diagram in the service manual specifically for the lighter. The power distribution diagram shows orange wires spliced together that go to the lighter and the power outlet - perhaps the extra wire is the splice from the lighter to the power outlet? Or perhaps it's just a standard wiring harness from the GM parts bin and the third wire isn't used.

In any case, it should be easy to unplug the connector and test the wires to see what they do.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:56 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I decided to dig a little deeper and found the connector end view in the service manual. It shows the three wire connector with two prongs side-by-side and the third prong just below them. The right prong (viewed from the plug end) is the orange power wire, the lower prong is for the black ground wire and the third prong is listed as "unused" - even though the drawing shows a wire going there.

So, maybe it is just a standard GM part for cars that have an illuminated lighter and it's just not used in our cars.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Ah, cool...I have disconnected mine a few times and never even noticed three wires Maybe we can figure out a way to make that sucker light up!

Quick Reply: Three Prong/Wire Cigarette Lighter Harness