Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prothane MM/tranny mount went in today, got a question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Prothane MM/tranny mount went in today, got a question

If any of you guys have all 3 poly, how bad is your vibrations? It doesn't feel terrible just more than I expected. I've had solid mounts before and they vibrated less than these do. Maybe its the little extra play of the poly?

Install was cake only took like 4 hours total for all 3 mounts and a new torque arm. I learned its WAY easier if you just unbolt the pedestals too.

On a side note, with my shitty 245/50/16 tires I get rubber slamming 4th gear at 90mph now.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just had mine done... used Prothane mm/tranny mounts and torque arm mount.... i barely noticed any extra vibration from stock except for sometimes in 3rd gear it vibrates alot actually... but it's weird cause it's only sometimes in third, alot of the times is when i manually put it in 3rd gear and go heavy throttle at low rpm's.... but other than that really no extra vibrations just more noise now from the tranny and drivetrain... sometimes when i press the gas pedal and also when i left off theres a knocking sound from the tranny
Old 06-20-2010, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

I didn't notice any new vibes when I did mine/

I noticed the opposite, no vibes.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

do you have a trans mounted TQ arm?
if not put the stock trans mount back and problem solved...seriously
since you dont have anything pulling up on the trans when you take the TQ arm off the tranny there is no real need for a poly mount
Old 06-20-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jerflash
do you have a trans mounted TQ arm?
if not put the stock trans mount back and problem solved...seriously
since you dont have anything pulling up on the trans when you take the TQ arm off the tranny there is no real need for a poly mount
Yeah I do, I have a UMI non-adjustable with poly mount. My stocker was bent to hell and the rubber bushing was trash. I'll be swapping it out for a UMI transmission relocation crossmember soon since I have already broken tailhousings in the past. I still can't get over the fact that I can chirp the tires at 90mph going into 4th now.

EDIT: I misread what you wrote, are you talking about putting the stock transmission mount back on? I don't really MIND the vibration much, I like it. I was just trying to find out what other peoples results were since I had solid mounts and poly trans mount before and it didn't shake as much.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

well get the relocation then put a stock mount in
Old 06-20-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I might. My stock trans mount was in good shape being that it came off of an automatic.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

if people would just learn.......remove the pedastals......maybe a MM install would not get a bad rap
Old 06-20-2010, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

i agree with you...my poly MM install was a bitch...till i loosened the bolts on the pedastals
Old 06-20-2010, 11:06 PM

When you guys talk about the pedastals are you saying the four bolts that attach to the k-member? Or is it something else? I have a poly-trans mount and a hella vibe. Going to install poly engine mounts next weekend.

As for the relocation kit for T/A, I bought a BMR one and I still have hellacious vibes......going to try to shim it down 3/8" and install the motor mounts then check pinion angle.....the further away from stock I get it seems to worsen ****!!
Old 06-21-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did poly engine mounts shortly after I put my headers in, for obvious reasons, lol. I put a poly trans mount and torque arm mount in while I was changing my clutch and drove it for about 6 months. The vibrations that I was getting were out of this world, but my 10bolt was on the way out and I assumed that it was coming from that. After I put a Strange Dana 60 in I was still getting the same vibration and after doing some research (because I wasn't sure which of the two made it vibrate worse [the trans or torque arm mount]) I found my old stock trans mount (of 130k miles) and put it back in. ALL of my vibrations went away, and that's common. A lot of people run stock trans mounts to avoid vibrations. Some people don't have any problems, but I was one of the few that did. I say screw the poly trans mount anyway. Even at speeds where stuff wasn't vibrating across the seats and floors it didn't feel any stiffer, or any better. It's not like you need one anyway. Eric at Midwest chassis was the one that told me to take it back off. He said that most of the 1/4 mile beasts that he knows of run the stock rubber mount.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
if people would just learn.......remove the pedastals......maybe a MM install would not get a bad rap
I did. It makes it an easy job. The pedestal bolts are easier to loosen than the mount bolts anyways. I have never used poly mounts my last cars I removed all of it in favor of spohn solids. Most of the time it took me to do this was to drill out the rivets since I had crap drill bits.