LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

converted single plane

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default converted single plane

I was wondering if anybody has a spec on what the bolt angle is where the intake bolts to the heads? This is for converting a single plane intake over to the bolt holes for a LT1.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it'd change from setup to setup depending on head milling and deck height, probably best to mock it up on your longblock
Old 06-23-2010, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Our local machine shop I talked to was about clueless except they mentioned using the lt1 gasket to transpose the hole pattern. That is about all I have to go on at the moment.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i read awhil back when i was searching the same thing, that the angle was 71 degree.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, its around 21 degrees, just use angle washers, bolt right on.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by T/A KID
No, its around 21 degrees, just use angle washers, bolt right on.
That is a good idea too. Did you make the washers, or did you find them somewhere. Some of the pics of what other people did had guides tig welded on. Nova had a jig made up on his myspace page I looked at too which I thought was an exellant idea too. Kinda cool to see what works and such. Some one should do a write up and have it stickied even if they dont run a carb so they have kinda an idea what might be involved in converting a single plane. I seen wuite a few threads of people asking, but not many helpful answers like I have recieved today. Found a vic jr today for 70 bucks, and I had sold some tailights last night for 50 so 20 short and he didnt budge. Oh well.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ive read also the intake face bolts for the angle washer has to be around 21 degrees..they used the pro products angle washers that they sale packs of 4 of on summit for using the hurrican intake an such on vortec motors..I read there not right out the box though and have to be trimming up some to the right angle..

As for the bolt hole..the 4 corner bolts will just need slight widening,the next 4 in will have to move about a 1/4 of a inch over(you will still use some of the org hole) then the next 4 under the plane/one for the middle of the intake will need to move almost a inch or so over completely..

i have a intake i need to do this conversion to but im torn because ill be going to gen 1 heads soon and that will leave me with a intake ill have to convert back again,plus it looks like i with the 4 inner bolts i wont be able to get them in the heads because how close there to my hollery 310-25 intake.Im not going to trim the water kneck on mine..ill just make a plate to go over the water inlet hole and then probley put my n2o reg there..

You dont even have to smooth out that area or take it out with a mill because theres no water outlets in the heads so thats just a dead spot really..that will save you some cost if you have some one do it by not having them do that..plus you could make it back to a gen 1 again or for both and re sale it if ever need be.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
ive read also the intake face bolts for the angle washer has to be around 21 degrees..they used the pro products angle washers that they sale packs of 4 of on summit for using the hurrican intake an such on vortec motors..I read there not right out the box though and have to be trimming up some to the right angle..

As for the bolt hole..the 4 corner bolts will just need slight widening,the next 4 in will have to move about a 1/4 of a inch over(you will still use some of the org hole) then the next 4 under the plane/one for the middle of the intake will need to move almost a inch or so over completely..

i have a intake i need to do this conversion to but im torn because ill be going to gen 1 heads soon and that will leave me with a intake ill have to convert back again,plus it looks like i with the 4 inner bolts i wont be able to get them in the heads because how close there to my hollery 310-25 intake.Im not going to trim the water kneck on mine..ill just make a plate to go over the water inlet hole and then probley put my n2o reg there..

You dont even have to smooth out that area or take it out with a mill because theres no water outlets in the heads so thats just a dead spot really..that will save you some cost if you have some one do it by not having them do that..plus you could make it back to a gen 1 again or for both and re sale it if ever need be.
On the LT1 just don't use those inner bolt holes for the intake, they will be covered by the intake and it will bolt up just like a vortec manifold with the outter four. I welded mine up but since youre going back just use some right stuff to plug the holes for now.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah i thought about doing that,when i go back to a reg head i will just use some large washers on it.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

That is a really good idea. Never know when I might decide to run a gen 1 again, be nice to keep the intake for that, or if I do sell it, I can market it as a duel use intake. Kinda more or less your slotting the holes for it by the sounds of it.

Quick Reply: converted single plane