Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 Bolt Rear??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 Bolt Rear??

So I Hear That These 10 Bolt Rear's Are Terrible... So I Look Back there Today To Find That One Bolt Is Already Missing.... I'm Wondering If I Should Be Concerned Or If It'll Last For a While Long Or If I Should Just Get The 12 Bolt And Call It A Day
Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You have an auto. You will need to be making a lot more power than you currently are (and racing the car often) to need anything more than a 10-bolt. M6 cars are a different story...these are the ones popping stock rears with stock engines.

As long as you can keep wheel hop away, and you don't let the diff run low on fluid, you'll be hard pressed to break the 10-bolt in an A4 car that's primarily street driven.

What bolt is missing? From the diff cover? Is the cover gasket leaking any fluid?
Old 06-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You have an auto. You will need to be making a lot more power than you currently are (and racing the car often) to need anything more than a 10-bolt. M6 cars are a different story...these are the ones popping stock rears with stock engines.

As long as you can keep wheel hop away, and you don't let the diff run low on fluid, you'll be hard pressed to break the 10-bolt in an A4 car that's primarily street driven.

What bolt is missing? From the diff cover? Is the cover gasket leaking any fluid?
The Bolt Is Missing From The Cover.... Well I'm Shooting For 500rwhp By The Time I'm Done With The Car... (long road ahead)

I Don't See Any Fluid Under There So I Guess I'm In The Clear For Now.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

I snapped my rear end last friday night at the track. I'm an M6 tho. I have made this mistake along with many others.... Build your car from BACK TO FRONT. No point in having lots of power if your drivetrain cannot handle it. Go with a 12 bolt!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
No point in having lots of power if your drivetrain cannot handle it. Go with a 12 bolt!
The 10-bolt can handle it with an A4, for quite a while. I had the same 10-bolt for 4 years with a 1.6 60-foot full weight Trans Am, 3500 stall and drag radials. Rear was still perfect when I sold it. At the same time, I was racing with a bunch of guys that had similarly built A4 cars, all with stock rears and no problems.

Sure, it's nice to have a 12-bolt even on an A4 car, but it's certainly not manditory for the auto. I'd just run the stock rear until you break it, which may never happen behind an A4 (even at heads/cam level) if you can keep wheel hop away.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As if the 10 bolt wasn't bad enough, the poor OP got the cost saving 9-bolt. Just messing.

If it's a bolt for the rear cover, i hope it isn't near the 6 o'clock position. At any rate, get a new bolt and drive it in there. If it was me, I'd change the fluid and gasket too while I'm under there.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

just get bolt for it. or if you want get an aftermarket reinforcement cover. theyre cheap.

i broke my rear with only having a lid and nittos lol. that one was warrantied though.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The 10-bolt can handle it with an A4, for quite a while. I had the same 10-bolt for 4 years with a 1.6 60-foot full weight Trans Am, 3500 stall and drag radials. Rear was still perfect when I sold it. At the same time, I was racing with a bunch of guys that had similarly built A4 cars, all with stock rears and no problems.

Sure, it's nice to have a 12-bolt even on an A4 car, but it's certainly not manditory for the auto. I'd just run the stock rear until you break it, which may never happen behind an A4 (even at heads/cam level) if you can keep wheel hop away.
If That's The Case Then I'm Not Going to Worry about It. My Dad Always Says Don't Fix What Isn't Broke.

Originally Posted by Ice78Transam
As if the 10 bolt wasn't bad enough, the poor OP got the cost saving 9-bolt. Just messing.

If it's a bolt for the rear cover, i hope it isn't near the 6 o'clock position. At any rate, get a new bolt and drive it in there. If it was me, I'd change the fluid and gasket too while I'm under there.
Well, Were Still Inspecting the Car And Figuring Out What To Replace And What To Upgrade With Aftermarket Parts. But A New Bolt Is A Def. As For The Gasket It Depends On The Shape Of The Current One. And Fluid Will Be Done Too

Thx for the Help Guys! I'm Going to Be Asking Alot More Questions As I Progress On The TA.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Launching!

i would leave it alone until you break it.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
I snapped my rear end last friday night at the track. I'm an M6 tho. I have made this mistake along with many others.... Build your car from BACK TO FRONT. No point in having lots of power if your drivetrain cannot handle it. Go with a 12 bolt!
I disagree

Originally Posted by JM0523
i would leave it alone until you break it.
And im gonna agree.

Reason is don't fix nothing till its broke. My buddy is pushing around 550+ in his TA with the stock rear end (his is a M6) but my other friend with a SS (M6 as well) has yet to make a pass at the track with his 10 bolt. Some hold up well others do not. Im gonna say save up for the the new rear end then that way when it breaks you have the funds for a new one. besides if you do break the 10 bolt it only takes a couple hours to fix for the most part and around $50.00 in parts at least it dose for me and my buddy's (we got hook ups).

GL and remember it pays to play!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Teching In

go with a 12 bolt or 9"
Old 06-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Mine has been fine so far. I'd stick with it until you break it.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I jus broke my 10 bolt last month running Dr's stock but im a M6 though.