LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

think this could have been the problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default think this could have been the problem

my car started to skip alot and would barley run so i took the water pump off and something did not look right on top of the opti it was a pieac (grammer) of tap and under it was what to look like some kinda of clear sealent i was getting arching up the coil wire and to the coil and i am pretty sure that this is were it was comming from first opti change i ever did done it in 3 hours i would say that was pretty good. here is thre pic of the opti that was on there think this could have been the problem-opti.jpg
Old 06-24-2010, 03:14 AM
Staging Lane

nobody has any insite on weather this could have been a problem with the arching up the coil wire ? o and this is how i bought the car and first time i have taken any thing apart on it
Old 06-24-2010, 04:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you posted this @ 4am. i certainly don't think it was helping your situation. why was the coil wire taped up? was it dry-rotted?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your motor is very clean.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

I see a pressure washer in your future....looks like the waterpump thingy was rubbing on the case
Old 06-24-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Consider this: Looks like someone started to pop a vent hole in their cap, then realized the WP sleeve would obstruct the hole/fitting they were trying to put on it. Thinking better of it, the 'user' abandoned the attempt and sealed up the hole rather than get another cap.

Good thing, probably. simply attaching a vacuum fitting from the cap to the manifold without a check valve would have made a serious vacuum leak through the distributor, sucking in whatever would fit in the 3 weep holes on the bottom of the housing (mostly moisture and fine dust).

Your opti pigtail looks a little rough. I'd suggest replacing it, along with your opti (see the $115.00 offering from Chandler Motorsports) after a thorough cleaning (by hand as much as possible). Find the source of your oil leak up top while you're at it- probably the intake.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

OMG!!........ WOW, new opti ,intake gasket, a stiff brush,mean green,and a pressure washer..........FTW?
Old 06-24-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
..........FTW?
Agreed...Yes...For the win
Old 06-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

well got it all back together today and yes i cleaned every thing and the intake gasket is new just had the heads done and went ahead and put new ones on. but i forgot the pigtails and it still has a little skip to it so thats the next thing to buy were is a good place to buy this item at am i going to have to go to the dealer to get it ? and it only took me two and half hours to put everything back together and had no leaks or any thing. the reason i posted at 4 am was beacuse i was at work lol
Old 06-24-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd open that opti up I bet there is a suprise in there!!! Looks like something came apart inside the opti. When I did my 383 build and took my 100k mile opti off I had something moving around inside but I bought a new house so I never got to open it up. I think I am going to go get it out of storage and see what came loose.

Quick Reply: think this could have been the problem