Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX miata vs. LSX datsun 280z?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSX miata vs. LSX datsun 280z?

New to the forum. Just wanted to ask a question that I can't seem to find the answer to through google. Seemed like this would be an appropriate place.

What car would be a better platform for an LSX V8 conversion? A Datsun 240/280z or a mazda miata given an equal budget?

The main thing I want to keep in mind is handling, being able to go around corners. While still being able to be used as a daily driver.

IDK if it's just because it's 1 in the morning but I'm having a hard time trying to type what I want to say.

Hopefully one day I'll have the coinage to be able to attempt just such a conversion.

Thanks for you're time if you're able to understand
Old 06-28-2010, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't done a miata, but from what I have read they are a bit of work. Not as much space as the older and larger Datsuns. Not sure how complete the Miata kits are, but from what I have seen they are pricey.

I can tell you there are kits that will let you swap a Datsun in a week. Very straighforward and well documented swap. I can also tell you the V8 will not upset the balance of the car. They actually improve it. And there are enough aftermarket suspension parts that the limiting factor in cornering a V8 Datsun will be your ability to drive. I am sure the same could be said for the Miata.

Either car would make an excellent daily driver. It all depends on how radical you get with the motor and suspension bits.

My guess is the Datsun would be cheaper if you can find one that isn't all rusted to hell. Big if.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Also keep in mind the age difference of the car.... things like suspension, bushings, brakes etc on the older Datsun will almost for sure need to be replaced. The miata on the other hand will be quite a bit newer and you won't necessarily need to "restore" the thing before it's road- safe.

I was contemplating a swap between a Miata and a '85 RX7. I chose the RX7 and now here I am rebuilding/replacing things that I didn't initially anticipate having to spend money on.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

The datsun has loads of space under the hood, I'd do that. More vintage, more retro, and its a bit lower.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

if you can find a nice quality Zcar then go for it, but like others said beware (or be aware) of the issues you may need to address on a 20+ yr old car.

I did an '87 RX7 and man it was a piece of cake! dont overlook the FC rx7 if you havent ruled it out yet. stock bodywork on coilovers and wide wheels make the LS1T56 FC a total monster and easy to finish on the cheap if you keep it simple.

I say to do a Zcar out of your 2 choices though, they are timeless and adapt well to the swap and being older are subject to less emissions requirements and hastle from cops, etc.

the Miata needs a lot of work in a small space and theyre not cheap (thanks to the demand from spec miata)
Old 06-28-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathan_ed3
Also keep in mind the age difference of the car.... things like suspension, bushings, brakes etc on the older Datsun will almost for sure need to be replaced. The miata on the other hand will be quite a bit newer and you won't necessarily need to "restore" the thing before it's road- safe.

I was contemplating a swap between a Miata and a '85 RX7. I chose the RX7 and now here I am rebuilding/replacing things that I didn't initially anticipate having to spend money on.
I had an '85 RX7 I did a SBC swap in. And yes, replaced every bit of rubber in the car. I honestly don't think I didn't replace/fix/restore one thing on it.

Originally Posted by owen v8litew8
I say to do a Zcar out of your 2 choices though, they are timeless and adapt well to the swap and being older are subject to less emissions requirements and hastle from cops, etc.

the Miata needs a lot of work in a small space and theyre not cheap (thanks to the demand from spec miata)
Looking forward to my next swap I was torn between these two as well. I've always have loved the Z's, had one, and realized they're hard to find that don't need major body work. If you live close to AZ you're fine, or if you don't mind shipping one from there to where you're at. Then you still should recondition the car, basically a resto-mod.

Miata's, you can find good examples for not much money that you'll not have to replace much before you feel safe on the road. But then you have to deal w/ the smallness of the car... which is awesome, but can be tedious when you need to work on it.

So I got a e36 for my next swap. New enough to still be modern, doesn't need any major body work. Replace the bushings, do the normal suspension upgrades and call it good.

Money no object, I would go w/ the z, but saying "budget" I'd start w/ a miata.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Teching In

I haven't ruled out an RX-7 yet, but I was mainly looking into miatas and datsuns.

Which one would handle better overall after the swap? Or would they be about the same?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Datsun for sure just because of how much better they look.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm doing an LSx in an '85 300ZX, and I gotta say, if I could've done the Miata instead, I probably would. More inherent chassis rigidity, far superior suspension geometry, much more surprising to other motorists, the Miata has nearly every advantage. My one advantage is I can fit much much much wider tires under the stock bodywork. 295/35R18s rear, on 11" wide rims, if I cut off my rusty quarters and weld on the '87-'89 quarters, which wouldn't by itself be obvious. My other advantage is the stock differential and axles are strong enough for 60 foot times approaching 1.6 seconds.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Banned

I vote for the datsun. Plenty of room for extra stuff too.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sq_creations
I vote for the datsun. Plenty of room for extra stuff too.

[IMG]http://sq-creations.com/240z/engrun2.jpg[/IMG
That's sick not gonna lie
Old 06-29-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

I would love a Miata, but have a 280Z with a gen1 sbc. Even with the slicks and skinnies it corners great. Weighs 2700 lbs w/o driver.
Attached Thumbnails LSX miata vs. LSX datsun 280z?-left.jpg  
Old 06-29-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

datsun z or 240.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TT632
I would love a Miata, but have a 280Z with a gen1 sbc. Even with the slicks and skinnies it corners great. Weighs 2700 lbs w/o driver.
what size are your rear wheels/tires? looks great
Old 06-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

The datsun over the miata...

but, how about a datsun 510 over the Z?
Old 06-29-2010, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Z all the way.
Handles like a go kart with minimal mods.
Power like a freight train with an LS in it.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:30 AM
Teching In

I've never had a chance to drive a miata.

I have had a chance to drive a 240z, I hated it but I think it was just a bad experience. The owner had put a really thin(think slightly thicker than a pencil), huge diameter, slick wooden steering wheel with no finger groves. Couldn't hardly turn the bastard. But I think a smaller diameter thicker rubber coated wheel would be easier.

How does the handling of an RX7 stand up to the datsun and the miata?

Last edited by cyrus-the-virus; 06-30-2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which RX7?
FD RX7 >= Miata > Z car as far as handling goes.

Here goes DT's LS1 miata racing through the American iron field at Infineon.

http://vimeo.com/12905374
Old 06-30-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jonathan_ed3
what size are your rear wheels/tires? looks great
28 x 9 slick with an 8 inch wide Wheel.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

the FC RX7 is between the FD and Miata but the cost is right down with the Miata for a clean FC and the swap cost is the lowest of the bunch.

you can fit 18x10 w/ 285 under stock FC RX7 bodywork, the LSDs are amazing and the handling and brakes are awesome as well. theyre a tough package to beat for the money.

all that said, I want to do a 240zx because they are more vintage and have much more style in the design, retro but timeless, w/ none of the '80's style that you see in the FC.

Quick Reply: LSX miata vs. LSX datsun 280z?