Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to start?

I just bought an '04 GTO. I'm saving to do a cam/head/intake swap on my LS1. Until I do that is there anything I can do to get a little more horespower without spending a ton? Little bolt on stuff, like mass air flow sensor or cold air intake. Any of that stuff worth the couple hundred bucks? I'm new to the EFI/LS scene. My other ride has a built 468 BBC
Old 07-01-2010, 06:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Factory MAF and TB are fine. Would only recommend ensuring the TB opens fully at full throttle.

Only engine-engine compartment mod. I would recommend is either of the following:

1. Two hole air box mod. as done by Oz members for years and ensuring you have a clean air filter.
2. Any other version of quality hot air intakes as with LPE or K&N,etc.etc
3. Tune. A good one.

Besides the above your best gains are with:

1. Drag radials up to 275 or 245 if you wish to retain the stock look
2. Suspension mods to help with launch and plant the tires
3. short throw shifter if manual transmission.

You should dip into the low 13s, high 12s with the above. Maybe quicker. Really, more than enough to have a respectable car without investing large dollar amounts.

Well, that is what I did. Other folk can provide other input.

Last edited by Felix C; 07-01-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Regular

Longtube headers if you dont already have them. You can pick up a set fairly cheap
Old 07-01-2010, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Keep an eye out int he For Sale sections and you can pick up some great stuff for alot less than it costs new.
Just educate yourself a bit as some parts that may look fine for your car may be different from 04s to 05-06s. CAIs are one of those things due to different TBs and MAFs.
Though its not a speed part...... I would recommend giving your front suspension a thorough look-over. All these GTOs suffer from Radius Rod Bushings and Strut Mount Bushings that are very flimsy and prone to failure. A quick search on here or ls1gto will get alot of hits. Personally I recommend replacing both of those parts with Poly aftermarket units.
Hope this helps.
--Glenn
Old 07-01-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Glenn B
Keep an eye out int he For Sale sections and you can pick up some great stuff for alot less than it costs new.
Just educate yourself a bit as some parts that may look fine for your car may be different from 04s to 05-06s. CAIs are one of those things due to different TBs and MAFs.
Though its not a speed part...... I would recommend giving your front suspension a thorough look-over. All these GTOs suffer from Radius Rod Bushings and Strut Mount Bushings that are very flimsy and prone to failure. A quick search on here or ls1gto will get alot of hits. Personally I recommend replacing both of those parts with Poly aftermarket units.
Hope this helps.
--Glenn
+1 onn what Glenn B said!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 02:09 PM

Thanks, that helps. I appreciate it.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Depends how fast you want to make the finished product. Lots of ways to build these cars.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Welcome to the crazy world of GTO ownership!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

lol, modding never ends either, youll start there, and then want more, and more, and more. haha welcome to the club!!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have headers yet, that's a good first step if you plan heads/cam later. For now resist the urge to get another MAF, the aftermarket performance ones are a rip off. A good CAI like the LPE unit is worth considering, don't get one without a heatshield, but wait until you know for sure what intake manifold and throttle body you are getting, because some of the CAIs that fit the smaller LS1 TB won't fit larger 92mm or 102mm TBs.

Quick Reply: Where to start?