Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acc drive questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Acc drive questions?

So i've been looking for acc drive for my 5.3l and have a few questions. I know the truck drive sticks the furthest out, but is that width wise or forward, or both? I assumed forward since the pullies won't line up if you mix and match f-body, vette and tuck parts. This is not including A/C.

I might be able to fit the truck alternator and p/s if its only forward so it should be a cheaper but i would have to create my own brackets.

Also is the alternator and starter the same for lsX/lm7/lqX??? Only difference is the alternator itself is mounted further forward in trucks[and at the top like a sky scraper?]

Thanks,
Marcello
Old 07-02-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The truck accessories are farther forward, but are definitely narrower than the vette and probably the f body too. I think dimensions are on S&P website.
The starters have subtle differences in size, and I think mounting bolts, but most are interchangable. Best bet is to buy the one for your block.
I've read posts on some alternators being smaller than the truck allowing for more hood clearance. Not sure on if the bolt mount pattern is different.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome thanks, I definitely need it narrower! 33 ford engine bays aren't very wide.

Im very anxious to hear the motor run for the first time, so im in a rush to buy the acc. since i already bought all the ls1 intake swap over stuff.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Starter is interchangable with everyting except a GTO T56 bellhousing. For some reason those changed the snout location. Beyond that there were some minor dimension changes, but the bolt pattern stays the same. Its not like the 153/164 tooth flex's of previous SBCs where the pattern matched the diameter. One thing of interest though, is the LSx starters often interchange bolt lengths

Truck/Fbody alts interchange freely. The truck alt is a higher output and the case is larger. Be aware the control for them is different. Fbodys use a one wire PCM control while trucks 2 wire. Read "Thee alternator FAQ thread" for more info on that

Truck PS pumps are the standard old style (I forget the series) with the built in reservoir. All car LSx engines use the smaller FWD pump and interchange freely. The reservoir is separate and specific to each application though
Old 07-02-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So if the car ps pumps are the same for all FWD cars then does it interchange with the 3.8?

Thanks,
Marcello
Old 07-02-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Most do. Check beforehand, some thread into the pump housing, some bolt through it. I do know Northstar pumps are a slightly different cast. Visually they look identical, but dimensionally they are about .125" off at the reservoir neck

Next 3.8 I found worked fine
Old 07-02-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do the car style p/s with the remote reservoir use the same type of lines as the older style. I have a sbc style vortec in my jeep with the serpintine set up off the older style small block, and I am trying to find out if those p/s lines will connect to the the newer style p/s pumps. The truck 5.3/6.0 p/s pump looks pretty much the same as mine and from what I read above you think it is the same pump (did I read the above correct?)
Old 07-03-2010, 07:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket
Most do. Check beforehand, some thread into the pump housing, some bolt through it. I do know Northstar pumps are a slightly different cast. Visually they look identical, but dimensionally they are about .125" off at the reservoir neck
This is true, most look identical, but there are subtle differences. The pumps that thread into the pump housing can be drilled out to work. But also there are at least 2 different shaft sizes so the pulley may not fit on some pumps. I got a pump off of a 2.5L 4 cylinder that the shaft was too small.

Also while I'm thinking about it, the truck manifold and accessories would be easier to package in your car. I originally set mine up for a 5.3, and when I changed to the Ls1, my throttle body ended up being REALLY close to the electric fan causing me to have to get creative with the air intake tube. On the the truck manifold the throttle body is higher and further back so it gives you more room to work with. Also the alternator was not crammed next to the frame like it is now. And as far as hood clearence is concerned the truck manifold clears with alot of room to spare. About the only down fall is it just doesn't look as good.

Last edited by ls1nova71; 07-03-2010 at 07:41 AM.