Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Severe clutch chatter....need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 07:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe clutch chatter....need advice

Hey guys, I just recently upgraded my clutch from a Spec 2+ to a Spec 3. I also have a Fidanza aluminum flywheel and the Billet Aluminum Pressure Plate from Spec. I replaced the slave and by measuring determined I was within 1/16" and did not need a shim. So, pedal release is right off the floor, (just as it was with the 2+), however chatter has gotten worse in the 300 miles since the install, so bad that I wouldn't even consider it chatter anymore, more like a violent shaking. If the rpms are around 2-2.5k when taking off from a stop it doesn't chatter hardly at all, and it shifts perfectly every gear after that. I don't remember my 2+ chattering this bad, or for this long, so I was needing some advice as to if this is normal and it should go away, or possibly that I have taken the "lightweight options" too far, and they are just very touchy.

I can't find any threads on people running a Spec 3, both with the Aluminum flywheel and pressure plate so any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my stage 3 chattered like crazy. my car pretty rough as it is (all rod ends, locker, dumped exhaust, etc) but this was so bad i almost took it out. after about 400 miles of break in beat the **** out of it at the track and it got substantially better. did great for 8k miles running high 10's and low 11's til i killed it with the turbo build

id ditch the aluminum flywheel though, not a fan
Old 07-05-2010, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

Aluminum flywheels require a little more work when starting out, alot of people agree on that. Maybe ride out your break in period and see how it goes. Also maybe get in touch with Spec and see if they have any recommendations for you.
Another factor might be the clutch disc itself, if it is a 6 puck vs a full face disc it might chatter more as well.
Good luck and keep us posted.
--Glenn
Old 07-05-2010, 08:15 AM
12 Second Club

I ran the Aluminum flywheel with the 2+ and it's just personal preference but I loved it. It seems harder to launch, however the car only sees the track about once a year, the rest is all street. Yes it is the 6 puck disc and I did expect it to chatter more as well as be quite a bit more aggressive, I just didn't have anything to compare it to. Thanks for the input everyone, I will keep everyone updated as to it's break in progress and hopefully it will smooth itself out.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Internet Mechanic

Aluminum Flywheels tend to be cranky. You need to kick up the rpms as they tend to drop as quickly as it revved. This due to the weight, less momentum.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Im about 480 miles with my 3+ and it shakes in reverse to Jupiter and loops it twice over.

Shake a little in 1st taking off from a stop. I am hoping this will change. Highly differenct from the LS7.

I was in a bind when I needed a clutch and my friend already had this one and gave me a great deal on it. If it werent for that I would have went with another LS7.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

90% of poeple with spec clutches have issues. The higher the stage seems like more issues.

G/luck.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:25 AM
FormerVendor

It is normal to have greater chatter with a stage 3 than you did with the stage 2+. This is relative to the Stage 3 using a pucked disc design which has less surface area and thus a greater potential for chatter. That being said as mileage is completed the unit should smooth out a bit. You will experience a bit of a learning curve when using a pucked disc...no worries.

Max, countless users of our product and members of this board would disagree with you. But, you are certainly entitled to your own opinion. I have already attempted to help you, to no avail...just let me know if I can be of any further assistance! Thanks,
Old 07-13-2010, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, so I have about 430 miles worth of break in time on the clutch, and I don't know if the chatter taking off from a stop has gotten better, or I have learned to drive accordingly. However, Friday evening, I tried a full throttle pull shifting 1st through 3rd, 1-2 shift went perfect, but during the 2-3 shift the pedal felt much softer than normal, almost spongy feeling and caused me to hit the rev limiter and not go into gear...what could this be? It's a brand new slave, it was bled, fluid looks good, etc. Is it my master cyl? It's still stock, as I just haven't gotten around to putting a tick in yet. Also there is one more thing, today, just driving normal, gently accelerating in the 2k-3k rpm range, I can occasionaly feel a small hesitation in the acceleration and also a small squeak coming from the clutch, sounding like an old rusty spring or rocking chair, just a small chirp. What can be causing all of this, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

on on driving, clutch need more time in break in, mine is 600 miles on gm clutch, and still have that noise. im thinking bleed the clutch.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

have you drilled the restrictor out of the clutch fluid line? tha could cause the clutch to hang up on the 2-3 shift.
Also I am NOT familiaar with spec clutches, but I have seen pictures, and they obviously use an AGRESSIVE facing on the disc. this = chatter no matter what!!! you MUST increase rpm's durring clutch release to smoothe it out, there is NO OTHER WAY around the chatter with this agressive of a clutch. The squeek is from the agressive facings slipping as they grab ahold of the flywheel/pressure plate during release, or slight slippage. - I dont think its anything to worry about.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

@maxspeed- i think i might be one of the lucky ones....i started seeing some of the unfavorable reviews AFTER i bought my new clutch setup and was worried.....that being said, my 2+ w aluminum pressure plate option has given me absolutely NO issues whatsoever, BUT i took my time installing, used the provided shim, upgraded to Tick Master cyl, torqued EVERY bolt to exact specification, and babied the RPM's for approx 800 miles, 300 past break in....i have experienced zero chatter, except in reverse while backing out of my driveway.....i would bet that "90%" of spec customers don't go to these lengths....night and day difference over my ls6 clutch, barks every gear with 315 555R's at the track, drives like a dream....
to the OP, honestly, i would carefully reinstall with a high quality torque wrench, Spec throwout bearing, the provided slave shim, and a Tick Master.....good luck brother
Old 07-13-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

^ and a remote bleeder
Old 07-13-2010, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the input everyone, I have not drilled out the restrictor as of yet, but might be looking to do so for the time being until getting a tick master installed. As far as the install goes, its a new pilot, throwout, slave, etc, everything but the master cyl, and everything was torqued to spec, and double checked. I did not install the supplied shim behind the slave this time...when installing the 2+ a few years ago, after measuring I determined I needed it, however this time, my measurements were within 1/16" so the shim was not needed. The clutch fully disengages as I can sit on level ground with pedal depressed and push rpm's up without creeping. I'll see how more miles do on it, and get back to everyone, and hopefully sooner than later get that tick master in. Keep the input coming everyone, thanks.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:19 PM
FormerVendor

Your test proves that the unit is releasing which is a good thing. That being said continue the break-in and let me know what you experience. Thanks,
Old 07-14-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

I have some chatter with my Textralia clutch but it is a 6 puck design and was told that it was to be expected. I replaced all of my hydraulics and did the drill mod also. I wouldnt say it gets hung up on the 2-3 but its definitely the harshest shift, maybe I just need to find the sweet spot. I generally just go from 2-4 when driving around town though.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

The way i decreased chatter was by reving and releasing the clutch a bit hard all at the same time. Takes practice but, and mabe it will chirp the tires, but it become esier. Slipping the clutch is what causes this, rev+slipping the clutch eventually damage the tranny.

Quick Reply: Severe clutch chatter....need advice