General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start...

So last night I pulled up to a house on the street and my passenger front tire checked the curb a little bit so I immediately attempted to turn the car back on to back it up a little.
When I put the key in the "on" position, nothing happened. The dash lights and gauges didn't start up, the fuel pump didn't prime, no door chime, nothing... I know the battery is fine as the headlights and locks and everything still work fine. Tried to jump start it this morning anyways with no luck at all.
My first guess would be the starter, but even with a shot starter the fuel pump and everything else should still turn on when I put the key in the on position, shouldn't it? Gonna tow it back home tomorrow night, anyone have some suggestions on starting points? Hoping for something as simple as a fuse.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

I should probably also mention that when I tried to restart it, I basically turned the key off and tried to restart it within a fraction of a second. Probably not a good idea, but I wouldn't have even turned it off if I had realized that my rim was scraping earlier.
When I tried to turn it back on, the dome light faded off and on. The radio doesn't come on either. I really think it's a fuse, but which one?
Old 07-04-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

What happened after the jump start?? Anything?

Fuses are outta my comfort zone, I know you can visually inspect them, did you? Any of them look burnt?
Old 07-04-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

I didn't get a chance to check fuses. Nothing happened after I tried to jump it. Still no cranking or anything. Someone else had mentioned that maybe the car went into some sort of theft lock mode. Any possibility of that?
Old 07-04-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Also, how do you tell if those bigger black fuses under the hood are blown?
Old 07-04-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think i know what your problem is.

check your Gauge fuse. i once had that fuse blown and the gauge lights etc wouldnt turn on and the car woult not start. replaced that fuse and everything was back to normal and the car would start.

im betting thats what your problem is. report back once you try it
Old 07-04-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Adam86
I should probably also mention that when I tried to restart it, I basically turned the key off and tried to restart it within a fraction of a second. Probably not a good idea, but I wouldn't have even turned it off if I had realized that my rim was scraping earlier.
When I tried to turn it back on, the dome light faded off and on. The radio doesn't come on either. I really think it's a fuse, but which one?
after reading this it is indeed your gauge fuse it should be a 15amp fuse
Old 07-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Teching In

I'm currently having the same problem on my 02 ws6. I turn the key nothing happens no crank just dash lights come on thats it. it started the other day, so i tried my spare key an it worked fine , but now both keys will not start it. 3 years ago i had this happen so I ended up having to replace my computer an ignition. I hope its not it again. I going to double check my fuses in the morning.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Teching In

O an the light on the dash that says SECURITY is staying light
Old 07-04-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

I didn't check the security light, I might have to. As far as I saw, there was absolutely nothing on the dash lighting up and none of the gauges were going up.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had this same issue....turn the key nothing happens...no lights no radio no turn over... nothing. It ended up being the ground cable on my battery was 1/2 turn loose....It was touching just enough for the dome light to work but not enough for the required current to turn it over. Check both battery connections first.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

check connections at the battery the the starter, for security light:http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61262
Old 07-05-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Finally stopped raining today and was able to get a look at it. Turned out to be a blown 50 amp ignition fuse. Glad it was what I was hoping haha.