Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Ignition Prob

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Prob

I just rebuilt the motor in my 04 drove it for about a week and on a warm day after work i got in my car and it wouldn't turn. The ignition cylinder had seized up. I took it out and took it apart and ground some of it out so that the key could turn, no probs. While I had the cylinder out, I hot wired it and it started.

I put everything back together and now it wont start. It tries, and get to the point where you think it will fire up and quits. I even tried another battery thinking maybe mine just didn't have the kick, and still wouldn't fire up. It's almost like it a bad starter, but it had fired up. It has to be somehting in the ignition, I'm almost certain, but I can't figure it out. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-06-2010, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Maybe something didnt get put back together correctly?
I havent had this particular issue with my GTO, but its a very common one. There are multiple threads with step-by-step fixes for it including part #s to replace the faulty ones with revised GM pieces.
Others will chime in Im sure as the issue seems more prevalent in hotter weather.
Good luck!
--Glenn
Old 07-06-2010, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Here is the GM part # for the revised ignition cylinder piece that shouldnt wear out like your did.
#92234035 think its around 30-40$
--Glenn
Old 07-07-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the nub on the key makes good contact with the metal ring around the ignition.

It should have NOT started without the key making contact when you hot wired it either, the keys are matched to the car. You may have to get the VATS (anti theft) re-sync'd. It can be done thru HPTuners or at the dealer.

Buzz
Old 07-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by acevhartz1
I just rebuilt the motor in my 04 drove it for about a week and on a warm day after work i got in my car and it wouldn't turn. The ignition cylinder had seized up. I took it out and took it apart and ground some of it out so that the key could turn, no probs. While I had the cylinder out, I hot wired it and it started.

I put everything back together and now it wont start. It tries, and get to the point where you think it will fire up and quits. I even tried another battery thinking maybe mine just didn't have the kick, and still wouldn't fire up. It's almost like it a bad starter, but it had fired up. It has to be somehting in the ignition, I'm almost certain, but I can't figure it out. Anyone have any ideas?
Did you put the metal ring back on, the one that touches the nub on the key?

Kevin
Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Yes I did, and the key makes contact thru the full range of the turn. I took out the starter just to see if by happen chance, and it tested fine. I am at a loss, I know everything is put back together properly, and the key turns, it gets spark, and my boosta pump is working.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like the VATS needs resync'd if it starts for a sec then dies.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Default Crank position sensor

This sounds like a problem I had .. But I was posting a code..

My problem was the Crank position sensor was bad.

replaced and re-synced and I was good to go...

Morty