LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

im confused?!?! somthing with gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im confused?!?! somthing with gas

well today i drove the car around and i ran the gas down to a little bit above the quarter mark and put in 10$ and then i drove for about 20ish miles and the gage read half and then the car started acting like it had no gas it keep dieing out on me so i put another 6$ in it and the gage read a little over half and it took me all the way back home witch was about a 45 min. ride so does anyone have any clue?????
Old 07-09-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Check your fuel pressure, the pump may be on its way out.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might of gotten some dirt in the prepump filter/pump. aftermarket fuel pumps with hotwire kits are wonderful
Old 07-10-2010, 12:41 AM
Teching In

i checked the fuel pressure already it was good but that was just from like a start up and drive for like 10 to 20 mins. this only keeps happening when i drive the car for about est. 1 hour to 2 hours longest i have drove it was today for about 2 hours be for it started to do that and it happened last time i was driving est. 1 hour so?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Old 07-11-2010, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

And it'll continue doing it until you shut it off and let it cool down? I'd Drive it with a fuel pressure gauge hooked up and tapped to the windshield then see if the fuel pressure drops off when it starts to do it. If it doesnt Look in to you injectors if it runs like **** while ideling see if you have a bad injector.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Default Check these things

Your fuel injectors might need a good cleaning, check how dirty your MAF is and try cleaning that out with some CRC MAF cleaner (that can interfere with drive-ability) and worse case scenario your fuel pump might be going bad.

A year ago my car did something similar. I replaced plugs, wires, cleaned my MAF, checked my fuel pump when I turned my car on to see if it was buzzing & so on. After that I haven't had that problem anymore.

Also, you might have a vacuum leak so check all of your hoses & lines to see if there is a hole or if any of them broke of snapped off by accident. I know you have a LT1 and I have the TPI engine but these 2 engines are very similar so hopefully my advice might help.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by airfix
And it'll continue doing it until you shut it off and let it cool down? I'd Drive it with a fuel pressure gauge hooked up and tapped to the windshield then see if the fuel pressure drops off when it starts to do it. If it doesnt Look in to you injectors if it runs like **** while ideling see if you have a bad injector.

yes when this problem is happening it will continue to keep shutting of and if u read the begining of this this i aslo state what else is did like the part when i put more gas into it ect.. and then it drove fine ect.... so im gunna check fuel pump and clean injectors

Last edited by 93FireBirD; 07-12-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by IROCZTPI
Your fuel injectors might need a good cleaning, check how dirty your MAF is and try cleaning that out with some CRC MAF cleaner (that can interfere with drive-ability) and worse case scenario your fuel pump might be going bad.

A year ago my car did something similar. I replaced plugs, wires, cleaned my MAF, checked my fuel pump when I turned my car on to see if it was buzzing & so on. After that I haven't had that problem anymore.

Also, you might have a vacuum leak so check all of your hoses & lines to see if there is a hole or if any of them broke of snapped off by accident. I know you have a LT1 and I have the TPI engine but these 2 engines are very similar so hopefully my advice might help.
and thanks for ur advice i will look into a vacuum leak as well
Old 07-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Old 07-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Teching In

just did last 2 for my #50 post counts
Old 07-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by IROCZTPI

o yea and by the way my car dosent have a "maf" its a 93
Old 07-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 93FireBirD
o yea and by the way my car dosent have a "maf" its a 93
Then it has the MAP system or the Speed Density. The 94's and up got the MAF back in them. I think the speed density systems ran from 90-93.

Quick Reply: im confused?!?! somthing with gas