Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about LS1 rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about LS1 rebuilding

So I got a T/A, and I love it. Only thing is its got 151,000 miles on it. I would really like to start putting money back for rebuilding it, only thing is its my daily driver. So, I can't really start pulling the motor out and rebuilding it, as I need my vehicle for school and army drills, etc... what are some options as far as getting an extra motor, doing heads and cam etc..Its a daily driver so I a am looking to build something around 375hp. is it best to buy a shortblock or what. Basically I am wanting to have a motor ready, so when I get ready to swap them out it will only take a few days. So I can quickly go about my daily routines. I should also note, that there aren't any guys that mess with LS1's around where I live, also no mechanics that I trust rebuilding me one. My father and I would be redoing as much of the build as possible. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

sorry for the long winded post
Old 07-12-2010, 07:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

search the classifieds for a stock low mileage short block, and start there. just make sure it comes with all the covers, oil pan and what not so you dont have to waste time switching all that stuff over.

my advice is to make sure you do all the research you can before you start, so you know exactly what parts work well with what you have/want. i.e., dont buy a cam that will hit the stock pistons, a set of heads that dont work with a stock bore...etc.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bww3588
search the classifieds for a stock low mileage short block, and start there. just make sure it comes with all the covers, oil pan and what not so you dont have to waste time switching all that stuff over.

my advice is to make sure you do all the research you can before you start, so you know exactly what parts work well with what you have/want. i.e., dont buy a cam that will hit the stock pistons, a set of heads that dont work with a stock bore...etc.
Yeah I am not looking to build anything with insane power. Mainly wanting a cam so I can have that loping sound at idle, but nothing huge, as I said it will be my DD. Also, as far as switching stuff around, seems like oil pan, valve covers, stuff like that, wouldn't be to much of a time waster.Basically I don't want to do a rebuild by pulling my motor out, having nothing to drive and trying to get stuff together. Also, it really makes me uneasy when there are no machine shops around here that are trustworthy. Hell, there isn't even a 4th gen T/A in the town I live in.

Last edited by LS1WS6dreamer; 07-12-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Hay man first thing you need to do is go to Barns and Nobil to the auto section and get three books thay are SA desighn called how to rebuild an ls1,how to build high performance ls1,and how to swap them thay have evrything you need to know in them then find you a short block like stated above or depending on your finaces see if you can find a long block but those books will get you on the right track!!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

I'm in the same situation so I baught an ls6 block and Im havin to buy piece by piece but it's gunna be a monster!! Just research and read as much as possible there's alot to them those books have all your torqe specs and twist specs tollerances excet excet if you need help finden them send me a pm!good luck with your build!!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stuff is not cheap by any means, what is the cheapest route on rebuilding one. I've been looking at prices and not liking my theory of getting an extra block and building it so its ready to drop in quickly. Probably gonna end up a stock rebuild on the motor I have, and full boltons instead. I just don't think I will ever be able to save up enough money to go the "extra complete" block route.
Decisions, decisions
Old 07-12-2010, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

you may have a lot more life left in yours than you think...never know

you could always order up a texas speed 383 shortblock when the time comes and just move over your stuff
Old 07-12-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

213,000+ miles on mine...daily driver...452/418...uses a half quart of oil every 2500 miles...just got back from running the hot rod power tour and put 2200 miles on it...if you take care of them they will last a long time...

PS you can pick up a complete engine at a salvage yard for a good price.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

+1^ I picked a complete ls1 up at junkyard with harness for 1500 should go snoop around some salvage yards.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hanzy98LS1
+1^ I picked a complete ls1 up at junkyard with harness for 1500 should go snoop around some salvage yards.
So when you pick up this junkyard motor, do you tear it down and rebuild it, or take it to a machine shop to get checked out or what. I am pretty illiterate when it comes to the LS1 rebuilding process. I am thinking as far as heads and cam-elliotportworks, LE1 heads and not sure on which cam, since its my daily driver and all. It needs to be reliable, and still get decent fuel mileage. + i am not sure with this package and full bolt ons that the car would be reliable. Because, with more power, more and more stuff breaks. Does somebody sale stock rebuild kits or something to that nature?
thanks and sorry for my bad terminology and wording