LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Problems after installing CAI

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems after installing CAI

So I installed a K&N Cai yesterday and for the first time ever.... didnt have any problems! With the install that is. But anyways, since yesterday there has been three times that the car, under moderate acceleration, will just kind of cut out. The tachometer will start flickering and the engine just kind of sputters. I didnt know if this was due to the engine taking in more air or what. Will the pcm adjust itself or what do I need to do? I have heard of some people getting a tune just for a CAI but I had mine tuned after my headers so I dont want to have to pay for another. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you connect the maf back on right ? some time it backware. check the cable/hose around the intake. reset the battery and drive hard with couple woot. and check make sure all the clam is tight ! and not loozing
Old 07-12-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derekstl
So I installed a K&N Cai yesterday and for the first time ever.... didnt have any problems! With the install that is. But anyways, since yesterday there has been three times that the car, under moderate acceleration, will just kind of cut out. The tachometer will start flickering and the engine just kind of sputters. I didnt know if this was due to the engine taking in more air or what. Will the pcm adjust itself or what do I need to do? I have heard of some people getting a tune just for a CAI but I had mine tuned after my headers so I dont want to have to pay for another. Any help would be appreciated.
You did headers before a CAI?? a CAI shouldnt really require a tune to run properly. i would start checking all the wires around where the CAI sits. Making sure that you didnt mess anything up.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Rockstar

I still don't have a CAI, haha. +1 for checking wires and MAF. Do you still have an air pump on the car?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It shouldn't be because of the CAI. Check the MAF as stated
Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Launching!

You did headers before a CAI??
Yeah, a little backwards I know. But I junked the whole Air/Egr system and have it blocked off on the cai. I'm not really sure how I could have installed the MAF incorrectly, seems pretty simple. But I will make sure to give it all a look tommorrow.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look at the maff and u see the arrow, make sure it point to the left ( battery/ radiator cap, oil cap ) hehe just to the left. on my old camaro owner install map upside down backware, and still run great, one member here point it out when i show my engine pix he say " LOL YOUR MAFF UPSIDE DOWN ! " HEHE
Old 07-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Ok so I checked all the connections and everything, they are all good, and I checked the MAF, and it is right, but I am still having this problem. I think its actually getting worse. It happens a little more often. It really only does it if I give it decent acceleration. If im just cruisin it doesnt do it. And also the last two days I have been noticing my temp gauge will just randomly stop working and fall all the way down. Then it will just pop back up later. Its weird.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Besides the MAF, you also have an air intake temp sensor, and a vent for the Optispark (unless your opti is un-vented). Check and make sure everything is plugged in.
While you were installing your CAI, did you drop your MAF? They can be broken fairly easily if you're not careful.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Yeah i have the vent and everything plugged in. But about the MAF being dropped..... I had some issues with my car earlier this summer. The link to my thread is here

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ng-around.html

So that problem just kinda magically went away. But when I cleaned my MAF, I actually did drop it and was kinda worried. But then it ran fine for about a month. This new problem started about a week or two ago.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Launching!

So this morning when i was driving it it started cutting out on me and I didnt even have the ac on. So while driving, I put in it neutral and revved it. It started to rev but then cut out, tach dropped, and there was a really loud backfire. Does this sound like it could be the MAF? I really want to get this fixed.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

check the plug on top of ur coil
Old 07-25-2010, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

In your first post you mentioned the tach was jumping around when the car cut out. This happened to a friend's 95 T/A quite a few years ago. Nobody could figure it out until I looked under the hood at night and saw the fireworks. A plug wire was melted to one of the exhaust manifolds. We changed the wire with one we had laying around and the problem never came back. Check all plug wires end to end and look for anything burnt or melted. If you find anything replace it and route it as far away from the exhaust as possible.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cgperformance1320
check the plug on top of ur coil
Not really sure what you are talking about. Could you be a little more clear?

As for the spark plug wires, I checked it out real quick and didnt see anything too obvious. When I put on my headers I zip tied all the plug wires as far away from it as I could. But I will check it out a little more.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you oil the K&N before you put it in? Sometimes the MAF can get that oil on it and act weird.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Old 07-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Ok I will have to take a look at that tomorrow. I can still drive the car fine I just cant accelerate very fast. And I have to get this fixed cause i plan on going to the track in about two weeks.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

The maf is a pretty sensitive device. Dropping it probably wasn't good. Do you have any friends that have f-bodys that you could swap mafs and see if anything changes?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
The maf is a pretty sensitive device. Dropping it probably wasn't good. Do you have any friends that have f-bodys that you could swap mafs and see if anything changes?
That is a good idea, but my only friend with another f-body is back at school thats an hour and a half away. It was a pretty good drop though, it fell from about three feet high and hit the concrete and rolled. I was pretty scared but i plugged it back in and it ran pretty good for about 2-3 weeks. How do you know if the MAF is bad? I need to do some research on it.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Launching!

So another quick update.... car was doing it pretty bad today, and then it died at a stoplight. After I restarted it, the check engine light came on. When i went to autozone to read the code, I got a P0372. It said timing reference, high res signal A, too few pulses. I had this code come up last year but my tech told me my crank shaft position sensor was fine, but the code was coming up anyways. Any ideas??

Quick Reply: Problems after installing CAI