General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Drops to Low Idle or almost Dies!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drops to Low Idle or almost Dies!!

I have an SS with an M6 and while driving it today I noticed whenever I come to a stop sign and push in the clutch it drops to around 200-400 rpm. At one sign it dropped low enough to die... Other than that it runs great and no SES light... Ideas?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Bump...
Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IAC ( Idle Air Control ), take it out and clean it up with carb TB cleaner see if that help. Spray on TB and get toothbrush and clean out the black gunk oily stuff off TB ( throttle body ) while you at it.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by killagt
IAC ( Idle Air Control ), take it out and clean it up with carb TB cleaner see if that help. Spray on TB and get toothbrush and clean out the black gunk oily stuff off TB ( throttle body ) while you at it.
I used WD-40 to clean my (IAC) with a rag. I asked several ppl & they jus told me wd-40
Old 07-14-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1jorge
I used WD-40 to clean my (IAC) with a rag. I asked several ppl & they jus told me wd-40
its fine, as long those black gunk stuff is out of it. back when I own mustang, most peoples clean it with carb cleaner then spray a coat of wd40 on it before install back in tb.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

So where exactly is IAC located?
Old 07-14-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gfeller2006
So where exactly is IAC located?
I dont know about ls1, but it should alway be on the side of TB

this is LT1 http://shbox.com/1/iac3.jpg

btw worth cleaning your MAF with MAF sensort cleaner ( you can get it at oreilly and advance auto part ).
Old 07-14-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just had the same exact problems... chased it for half a year, i tried it all, and cleaned it all... get new O2's. new bosch's for our cars work great.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

And your 02's weren't throwing any codes?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

I have an SS with an M6 and while driving it today I noticed whenever I come to a stop sign and push in the clutch it drops to around 200-400 rpm. At one sign it dropped low enough to die... Other than that it runs great and no SES light... Ideas?
Maybe...
There's a vacuum hose on the TB, passenger side, it's a molded factory piece. It can wear-through due to age and cause a vacuum leak. You can replace it with a piece of standard hose. Usually the leak is underneath where it can be hard to find.

If that's not it you can usually solve any low vacuum problem with a belt-driven supercharger.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like the IAC, rather than a vacuum leak. Vacuum leaks cause the engine to RISE in rpm, not fall off.

Could also be a dirty fuel filter. Or dirty fuel injector(s).

And NO, you will not get an SES light or codes from failing 02 sensors, not until they are so bad the engine will hardly run. You can go get a scan at the dealership (hopefully they won't charge too much or anything at all) to see how they are switching while the engine is running to see if they are the problem. Failing 02 sensors can also cause your issues....they cause a million wierd things to go on.

Failing IAC will also NOT give you an SES light or code until it totally stops working. Its one of a few idiot light type of things on our cars.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
Vacuum leaks cause the engine to RISE in rpm, not fall off..
You are wrong [putting it politely]. Go pull off the hose I speak of, heck, just pull off the throttle body, see what happens.

Could also be a dirty fuel filter. Or dirty fuel injector(s)..
Dirty fuel filter is a big maybe, often a blockage will kill the car. It'll mysteriously start again and stall again. It'll run poorly from low pressure. The pressure that is available will more likely help the car run OK at low speeds when it needs less fuel.
Dirty Injectors: Ever seen one in operation? Usually have a streaming line instead of a conical or atomizing spray pattern. Car will run badly from the poor atomization.

"you will not get an SES light or codes from failing 02 sensors, not until they are so bad the engine will hardly run." You can go get a scan at the dealership (hopefully they won't charge too much or anything at all) to see how they are switching while the engine is running to see if they are the problem. Failing 02 sensors can also cause your issues....they cause a million wierd things to go on..
Are you nuts? The O2 sensors just help these cars go into closed loop operation. An example of "Open Loop" operation is after the car is started and cold, it runs on set & learned inputs until the O2's says all is OK for the 'puter to begin compensating for conditions. And any fast-food auto parts will scan these cars for free to get you to buy parts.
Failing IAC will also NOT give you an SES light or code until it totally stops working. Its one of a few idiot light type of things on our cars..
???
Old 07-30-2010, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Ok guys, it stopped for awhile so I figured I'd wait it out and see if it was a fluke. It just started doing it again today... I went to remove the IAC to clean it and ONE OF THE Torx screws is completely stripped out!? The previous owner mangled the screw. Now what the hell can I do??

Quick Reply: Drops to Low Idle or almost Dies!!