Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Chevelle, couple questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 69 Chevelle, couple questions?

Ok I am getting stuff ready to put a LQ4/T56 combo in my 69 Chevelle and have a couple questions. First I bought a set of adapter plates but after realized there was a 1" set-back option that I did not get, I plan on moving the frame stand anyways so is it a big deal that I didnt get the set-back plates? Next is the accessory drive, I have a truck set-up right now but have a lead on a complete f-body set-up and was wondering which would be easier to get set-up? And the only reason I ask is because a lot people use the f-body set-up with these conversions. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There should be no problem in moving the Frame stands. If you researched the BRP type of plates.. you are required to move the stands for that setup. You can not use the Gen III/IV AC compressor with the standard or 1" setup back plates.. they come into contact with the AC compressor. So relocation or aftermarket kits for the AC compressor is required.

Many have used both front accessories, both as standard setups and modified. The truck setup can be a little bit of a problem in that the Alternator can sit a bit high and the hood could come into contact. With the Truck setup, the water pump can be a problem if your going to use a car intake. Do some more research for answers and workarounds.

If using the F-Body front setup. Problem area can be the power steering pump pulley and the steering box and rag joint. I myself is using the standard LS1 F-body front accessories, but since I was using BRP plates.. I was able to move the stand and engine to give me some clearance along with a little grinding on the steering box.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:49 AM
TECH Regular

The plates are the orginal BRP style, I want to run the A/C so I will just keep these plates. I have researched both set-ups and know about adapting the car intake (which I am going to do) and the alternator clearance on the bottom with the F-body set-up. I was just curious as to why most ran that set-up over the truck set-up even when some had the truck acc already as they both have there pros and cons. I think I am going to try and stick with the truck stuff and hope there is no hood clearance issues. Also at some point it would be nice to check out your car in person! I am just up the road in Fairfield and work in Corcord off of Hwy 4.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 164 Posts

i ran the Hooker headers and mount adapters-they push the engine back close to the firewall-had some others, but they didnt move it back enough
i used the 2000-2004 vette acces. front drive, it was a little $exp. but gave me all new parts-the AC would be a problem, but a little cutting and could be possible-i used an AFCO A body/LS radiator
i was gonna just use and make fit what i had for my 69, but old age has gotten me lazy, so i tried to limit to some bolt on stuff
main reason i went with the vette stuff, besides curing the steering box problem, i wanted to run the vette Procharger setup, as Procharger had not yet made their LS/A body setup yet
using the vette waterpump, AFCO rad. i was able to use 2000 Camaro upper/lower rad. hoses-i run a carb though, never got around to FI, would be nice to try one day
sometimes you can find acces drs on ebay
Old 07-22-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Bullitt.. you can usually catch me at the Friday night GTG at Baja Fresh at the Sun Valley Mall (south end parking lot near Sears). I usually roll in around 6-6:30 (people start showing up around 4:30)... I co-run it.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bczee
Bullitt.. you can usually catch me at the Friday night GTG at Baja Fresh at the Sun Valley Mall (south end parking lot near Sears). I usually roll in around 6-6:30 (people start showing up around 4:30)... I co-run it.
at the moment I am work swing shift m-f so I am usually working during that time, but I should be starting 4-10's in the next month so I may come down and check it out sometime. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by forcd ind
i ran the Hooker headers and mount adapters-they push the engine back close to the firewall-had some others, but they didnt move it back enough
i used the 2000-2004 vette acces. front drive, it was a little $exp. but gave me all new parts-the AC would be a problem, but a little cutting and could be possible-i used an AFCO A body/LS radiator
i was gonna just use and make fit what i had for my 69, but old age has gotten me lazy, so i tried to limit to some bolt on stuff
main reason i went with the vette stuff, besides curing the steering box problem, i wanted to run the vette Procharger setup, as Procharger had not yet made their LS/A body setup yet
using the vette waterpump, AFCO rad. i was able to use 2000 Camaro upper/lower rad. hoses-i run a carb though, never got around to FI, would be nice to try one day
sometimes you can find acces drs on ebay

Ive also considered those (corvette acc) for that reason, and the fact that I am really familar with that set-up from owning one and working at a corvette performance shop for a few years. But at the same time I dont have a ton of money to spend on this and I already have the truck stuff.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Well I bought the F-body acc drive aswell, the guy gave me a deal I couldnt refuse so I see what set-up works better and sell the other one.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:23 AM
TECH Resident

Doin they same swap in my 71 but with a turbo. I am using a car intake, f body water pump and ud crank pulley. I am cutting the bracket to keep the ps pump in the stock truck location (gotta have the bracket machined so the pulleys will line up, at least that's the plan for now) and building a bracket to mount the alt where the ac comp was (not runnin ac). Good luck on the build keep us posted with the progress.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Bullitt.. we have move the Friday night GTG from Baja Fresh to Dana Plaza, which is located on Concord Blvd and Landana Drive.

71anticarb. let see a picture of your Alt relocation ?
Old 08-02-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, when I start my new shift I will try to make it out there. The guy that I bought the motor from flaked on getting me the truck accessories and I got my f-body accessories already so I will most likely just go forward with them. Still gathering parts and hopefully will be able to start mocking things up pretty soon.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 71ANTICARB
Doin they same swap in my 71 but with a turbo. I am using a car intake, f body water pump and ud crank pulley. I am cutting the bracket to keep the ps pump in the stock truck location (gotta have the bracket machined so the pulleys will line up, at least that's the plan for now) and building a bracket to mount the alt where the ac comp was (not runnin ac). Good luck on the build keep us posted with the progress.
To get an idea for mounting the alternator down there check out ECS (east coast supercharging), it wont work on your car due to its for corvette acc. but they have a kit that mounts the alternator where is the a/c goes and it might help with making the brackets to see what they did.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bullitt4110
To get an idea for mounting the alternator down there check out ECS (east coast supercharging), it wont work on your car due to its for corvette acc. but they have a kit that mounts the alternator where is the a/c goes and it might help with making the brackets to see what they did.
Thanks for the info on ECS, but I went ahead and scrapped the the whole custom bracket ideas. And just used F-body acc. The alt cradles right in behind the gear box and fits real nice so that's where I'm at with the acc.

Quick Reply: 69 Chevelle, couple questions?