Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have any of you guys had to cut on your TSP duals to get them to fit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 03:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Have any of you guys had to cut on your TSP duals to get them to fit?

This is starting to get irritating now...

So I ordered a set of Pacesetter LT ceramic coated headers and a TSP Y-Pipe two weeks ago. Did poly mounts and the headers last weekend. They went in just fine. No problems at all. Then I tried to get the Y-Pipe on. Didn't fit. One pipe was way too short. So I sent it back and went with their duals. I've had them before about 4 years back with a set of pacesetters and that install went as smoothly as I could ask for. So I was excited to get them and get them on the car. Tried getting them installed tonight. Get everything mocked up and the hangers that are welded to the mufflers in the rear are about 2 1/2" away from the floorboards...

Great.

So then I notice that the O2 bungs are only sitting about 2 1/2" away from the tip of the collector and are interfering with the pipes coming off of the collector, only allowing them to insert about an inch when the lap joint band clamp is installed. I don't remember ever having that problem with my other Pacesetters. I looked a few pictures up online and it looks as if on every other set of them the bungs are located much further back from the end of the collector, like 3 to 4".

I wonder if this could be my problem? I've got the thing as far forward with all the adjustability that I can get out of it... and I'm 2 1/2" away.

So I was thinking about taking the X pipe to an exhaust shop and just having them cut off the 2 1/2" that I'm long. Have any of you guys ever had to cut on your TSP Duals to make them fit, and for those of you with Pacesetters does the placement of the 02 bung sound off??

I'm getting impatient. The car has been up on stands for a while now with parts that don't fit. I just want to get it down and drive the thing...
Old 07-24-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine went on fairly smoothly. thinkin about hackin mine up to make a cat back. these things scrape everything
Old 07-24-2010, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to cut mine. The drivers side pipe off the header to the X was a couple inches too long. Still havent been able to get the system adjusted correctly after like 2 years lol.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

You guys running Pacesetters?
Old 07-24-2010, 09:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like you went cheap by getting pacesetters and its ending up costing you time and money. sometimes they work out for people and sometimes they dont but if you would have spent just a bit more money you could ahve gotten fully custom and stainless headers that fit like a glove every time. especialy on such a pretty low mileage bird why try and go cheap?
Old 07-24-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my Pacesetters, the O2s are pretty far forwards...the car has some 4" long band clamps at the collector/exhaust slip joint, and there's still a couple inches between the front of the clamp and the O2s. I can try and grab a couple pictures later on today when I run by the house.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jerflash
sounds like you went cheap by getting pacesetters and its ending up costing you time and money. sometimes they work out for people and sometimes they dont but if you would have spent just a bit more money you could ahve gotten fully custom and stainless headers that fit like a glove every time. especialy on such a pretty low mileage bird why try and go cheap?
Pacesetters are ~$350, good stainless headers are ~$900. Add in the price of a custom stainless exhaust...not everyone has $2000 to drop on an exhaust alone, nor do some of those who could afford it feel like spending that much.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

I've run Pacesetters on my car before and have installed them on a few buddies cars before too. I've never had this issue. Pacesetters are actually (Usually) a very good fitting header that performs well. The car rarely gets driven, only on dry, sunny days, and a ceramic coated header will do me just fine.

Good post though. Very informative...
Old 07-24-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Element
On my Pacesetters, the O2s are pretty far forwards...the car has some 4" long band clamps at the collector/exhaust slip joint, and there's still a couple inches between the front of the clamp and the O2s. I can try and grab a couple pictures later on today when I run by the house.
Cool man, if you can snap me that pic I would greatly appreciate it!

I'll post a pic of where mine is at currently, in a minute.

Pacesetters are ~$350, good stainless headers are ~$900. Add in the price of a custom stainless exhaust...not everyone has $2000 to drop on an exhaust alone, nor do some of those who could afford it feel like spending that much.
Ding, Ding, Ding... I dont see the point in spending that kind of cash on a header that will perform nearly the same. If I drove the car year round, through rain, snow and salt, then I could see the benefit. But not on a car that is strictly a fair weather driver... But, to each their own. I've had very good luck with Pacesetter in the past... I'm thinking this one is just goofed up.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Here's where it sits now... Once you get the band clamp on the pipe only slides on about 1"... that seems like an awfully small insertion amount. The distance from the end of the collector to the 02 bung is actually only like 2 3/8" It's just not allowing me to slide the pipes on far enough.

In this pic you can see how far the hanger is from even making contact with the underbody... This is with all the pipes bottomed out as far forwards as I can get them...

Last edited by 98RedBird; 07-24-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

So I was searching around for pics to see if anyone else had them mounted so close. Couldn't find any. Everyone else's seems to be mounted in a better location. Starting to give me a headache...

Here's a pic of a guys install from 5-24-10. About two months ago... He has Pacesetter Ceramic Coated LT's, just like mine. The 02 bungs look to be in a great position as opposed to mine. Much further upstream and out of the way.

Here's a picture from the same install. His LJ band clamp is still a good 1 1/2" to 2" away from the bung...

And here is a picture off of TSP's website of their 1 7/8" headers. The bung also looks to be in a great location. Nice and out of the way so it won't be an obstruction...

Old 07-24-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've TSP's, but i measured and the bungs are recessed about 5 1/2 inches. So that is likely your issue. If you can return them (which sucks given your luck lately) I would, otherwise you can have a shop install a new bung and remove and weld close the old one. Unfortunately that would ruin the coating in that area.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
I've TSP's, but i measured and the bungs are recessed about 5 1/2 inches. So that is likely your issue. If you can return them (which sucks given your luck lately) I would, otherwise you can have a shop install a new bung and remove and weld close the old one. Unfortunately that would ruin the coating in that area.
Yeah, I started figuring that was my problem... Unfortunately. Yeah, I'm going to return them. I don't think I should have to pay to have the bung relocated, in the process, as you said ruining the coating. What's another few weeks of having the car on jack stands I guess...

I wonder if they just installed it in the wrong location or something...?
Old 07-24-2010, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry if i seemed like an *** but im up in the north east and my hookers that were ceramic rusted so fast. its worth it for the stainless for me plus with the fit and finish...you get what you pay for. i see your problem and say why dont you use the accuseal band clamps instead of those. you would ahve to put 2 slits in the pipe on either side since it looks like tsp does not do that
Old 07-24-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

sorry if i seemed like an *** but im up in the north east and my hookers that were ceramic rusted so fast. its worth it for the stainless for me plus with the fit and finish...you get what you pay for. i see your problem and say why dont you use the accuseal band clamps instead of those. you would ahve to put 2 slits in the pipe on either side since it looks like tsp does not do that
Like I said, in your situation I could definitely see the need for a stainless header, but in mine, I'm fine with a ceramic coated.

Yeah, I have a set of 3" accuseal clamps, but from the ones I've used in the past they don't seal quite as well as the stepped band clamps, so I'd like to use them. Plus TSP supplies them so I'm sure that's what the system was designed around. I really honestly think that the set of headers I have have the bung in the incorrect location, so I'd like to get a set that has them in the correct location, instead of having to "make them work", ya know?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
Cool man, if you can snap me that pic I would greatly appreciate it!

I'll post a pic of where mine is at currently, in a minute.
Well, I swung by the car to take some pictures, and of course, the camera battery died on the first shot. *sigh* But, after looking at the pictures you posted, the O2 locations on mine are a lot further forward - almost like the TSP header setup, not nearly as close to the end of the collector like yours are.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a picture of my LPP long tubes. Bungs are welded in two different locations. One on the right looks good but the one on the left is down a lot further. I hope it doesn't cause problems on the install.

It make you wonder where these companies find these ******* monkeys to weld their stuff. How hard is it to weld in it the same spot every time where it's supposed to be?

"OK Jimbob, the bungs get welded in RIGHT here every time."

"Derr, OK boss!"

*Welds bung in wrong location*
Attached Thumbnails Have any of you guys had to cut on your TSP duals to get them to fit?-p1030431.jpg  
Old 07-24-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I swung by the car to take some pictures, and of course, the camera battery died on the first shot. *sigh* But, after looking at the pictures you posted, the O2 locations on mine are a lot further forward - almost like the TSP header setup, not nearly as close to the end of the collector like yours are.
Great. Yeah, that's what I'm seeing with pretty much every picture I find. They are all in the same location... EXCEPT MINE...

I've hung so many exhausts on these cars at this point it's stupid. Helping buddies, friends of friends, my own, etc...

Never constant problems like this...

I'm going to pull the headers off the car tonight...

Originally Posted by X-ray
Here's a picture of my LPP long tubes. Bungs are welded in two different locations. One on the right looks good but the one on the left is down a lot further. I hope it doesn't cause problems on the install.

It make you wonder where these companies find these ******* monkeys to weld their stuff. How hard is it to weld in it the same spot every time where it's supposed to be?

"Derr, OK boss!"

You'll be fine with those. I've had LPP's before and they were the same way.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by X-ray

"Derr, OK boss!"

What's worse is that they have to either torch or drill the holes for the bungs, too, and it doesn't even kick in at that point.

"Lemme just torch a big hole in the welded seam I just got finished doing, derp!"
Old 07-24-2010, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have pacesetters and TSP Rumbler X. My exhaust hangers were also too far back. I assembled everything up to the x-pipe and used a 1x4 and a rubber mallet and "nudged" them forward a few inches. Everything worked well after that.