Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is running a GM HOT CAM??? Love or Hate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Who is running a GM HOT CAM??? Love or Hate?

Okay so who is running a GM Hot Cam in their LS1? Post up comments about what you think about it. Any solid hp #'s?

Please don't post if you have NEVER used one.

VIDEOS WOULD BE A PLUS
Old 08-07-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this is a old lobe design ,there are newer better cams with better lobe design that will out perform this old cam.look into EPS cams.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garygnu
this is a old lobe design ,there are newer better cams with better lobe design that will out perform this old cam.look into EPS cams.
This **** is getting annoying. I see nut swingers talk about the eps cam in almost every thread. I would understand if someone was asking for suggestions, but sometimes people come across good deals (free/dirt cheap) and just want to know peoples opinions on the cam that they have. Sorry for the rant an thread jack just needed to vent.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i used to have a Hotcam, my car at the time had most of the bolt ons and made 375/378 to the wheels. i drove the car every day with no problems after it was tuned, and was still getting 30 mpg on the highway.
at the time my car was going 8.5s on street tires, and 8.000 on Nitto DRs in the 1/8

if you are on a budget and come across one for cheap it is worth it to me... i had a bunch of fun with my car with that cam in it, and it sounds good too!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by garygnu
not for less than 200 bucks for a cam and springs. (a good deal)

wait...... was this about eps cams.........oh yeah...no.

only one guy readin so far that has a hot cam?
I guess it because its a old cam and nobody is runnin it....lol
Old 08-08-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont know if i am allowed to post here since i have never had a hotcam but i would get the asa cam over the hotcam all day if you can get a good deal on one.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Teching In

I have one in my car. It's been in since the car was new and has 70,000 miles on it now, no issues. On the dyno it made power all the way to 6800rpm and was still climbing. Plus it sounds like a larger cam.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have one either but I think you will find most who think its a lousy cam have never had one. Most guys who have it love it. Maybe because it doesn't have a fancy name!!! It is easy on the valve train as well and from the dyno curves I have seen it makes pretty good power.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

the hot cam is a decent mild grind. but like someone else said, there are alot better cams out there in the aftermarket now. if i went through the trouble of swapping cams, i wouldnt just get a certain one just because it's the best deal, when u should be looking for the best performance.
either way u go, the hot cam is still better than stock.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Regular

I put the Hot Cam in my '02 TA when it had less than 500 miles on it back in late '01. I had it for about 10,000 miles and loved it. In today's LS market, I would not recommend a Hot Cam unless it was very cheap. With bolt-ons, mine made 399 rwhp SAE. Not a bad cam at all, but there are much better cams grinds out there. If you have access to one cheap, go for it.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

I had both the hotcam and asa cam in my 99 SS. I liked the hotcam more, put out good numbers and made usable power. If you get cam and springs cheap go for it, you will not be dissapointed.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

What's up with some peoples "my **** is better than yours" attitude. Thats old.

i know that there are better cams out there. I sure hope that someone has developed a better one than a hot cam from the early 2000's. That was 10 years ago.

HOWEVER....how can one say that I should be looking for a cam that puts out the best performance???

Unless your related to Ms Cleo then you probably dont have any idea of what I want.

I dont want the biggest and best cam out there. I drive it 50-60 miles everyday. The hot cam has a good sound in my opinion. I like it and apparently it puts out decent usable hp also. Isnt a cam choice supposed to be a personnal choice???

Everybody else.....thanks for the input! This being my first cam it makes me not as nervous to go through with it. I have def did my fair share of research on it but it means more getting opinions for those of you that have actually used one.

THANKS
Old 08-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Launching!

for the OP ,,, ask your self ... is it worth it ?
labour charge valve train upgrades blah blah ... for a sound u like ??
i like the way u think then #) ... i say .. Ecutout would be a good alternative scince you like the sound only !!
cheer's mate
Old 08-09-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Friend dynoed 357 rwhp cam only in a 2000 ta (No bolt ons) Just a cutout not even a lid
Old 08-09-2010, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Reaperchild
for the OP ,,, ask your self ... is it worth it ?
labour charge valve train upgrades blah blah ... for a sound u like ??
i like the way u think then #) ... i say .. Ecutout would be a good alternative scince you like the sound only !!
cheer's mate
Maybe you cant change your own cam but I can hince the labor charge is free. the only other upgrades you have to do is switch out the stock springs with ls6 springs.

a cut out on a stock car IMO sounds like ****. I just want a little more thump and a little more HP. I don't want a race car.

Thanks for everyone else's input!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by the_blue_rider84
What's up with some peoples "my **** is better than yours" attitude. Thats old.
I really didnt get that from anyone's recommendations that theres better cams out there.
i know that there are better cams out there. I sure hope that someone has developed a better one than a hot cam from the early 2000's. That was 10 years ago.

HOWEVER....how can one say that I should be looking for a cam that puts out the best performance?
I can agree with that. I wouldnt say go with the biggest cam you can put in it, but some here would.
Unless your related to Ms Cleo then you probably dont have any idea of what I want.

I dont want the biggest and best cam out there. I drive it 50-60 miles everyday. The hot cam has a good sound in my opinion. I like it and apparently it puts out decent usable hp also. Isnt a cam choice supposed to be a personnal choice???
If thats your choice then why are you asking us?

Everybody else.....thanks for the input! This being my first cam it makes me not as nervous to go through with it. I have def did my fair share of research on it but it means more getting opinions for those of you that have actually used one.

THANKS
Old 08-09-2010, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

I loved it and i put down 403 after some harland sharp 1.8's and a FAST intake.

Here is a video

[img]View Video on FQuick[img]
Old 08-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Launching!

375 rwhp on a full chassis dyno
Old 08-09-2010, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I am running a hotcam bought the car with it already install. drives fines and pulls pretty good, maybe because i have 4.56 lol. has a nice lope to it and drives like stock. not bad.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the Hotcam and for the last year and a half has done good by me.
I put down 373 rwhp and have run a best of 12.44 at 111.5mph.
My smallish stall is what is holding me back right now.
I am confident that that a good ss4000 stall would put me very close to the 11 second n/a 1/4 mile et.
My car is shifting at 6100 rpms also, so I might pick up a little by raising the shift points to maybe 6300, but I'm not sure.
It drives fine but will surge a bit when rolling to a stop or cruising thru a parking lot at idle. But part of that is because I have dropped the idle from 950rpms down to 750 rpms.
It has a nasty lope to it at that rpm.
Yes, it is an older design, but it works well for me.

Quick Reply: Who is running a GM HOT CAM??? Love or Hate?