PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car starts and dies now after battery drained dead...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car starts and dies now after battery drained dead...

So my 84 vette LS1/T56 conversion has been slow, but the other day I drove it for the first time in a year... guess what? The power seat switches were dangling and got wedged to the "ON" position. When the car was shut off the power seat drained my optima battery to 0v...and I mean 0v. Checked with my fluke and it didn't even read mV, just Ohms...

I recharged it, started her up, let it run until reaching operating temp and I shut it off. Everything seemed peachy until i tried to start it up 30 min later. It fires up for half a second to a second and shuts off. This happens over and over unless I disconnect the battery for 5-15 min and then try. If i do that it will start the first time upon connecting the battery again. WTF? I'm not getting the check engine light so no codes are being thrown (i guess). I have fuel pressure, all relays and fuses are good etc.

I'm at a loss here. Is there someing in the pcm that can get "goofy" if the battery is drained slowly to null? Is there a battery or something in the PCM that will drain due to the actual car battery draining to 0v? The PCM has a tune on it and never had ANY issues until that damn power seat switch got me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated everyone.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 08-15-2010, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

bump for the day.... i need some help guys.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just went through the same problem basically. Cliffs Notes: buy a CTEK 7002 Battery charger, it fixed everything!.

1.Optima need a special type of battery charger (AGM)
2. The CTEK 7002 has a battery recondition feature that needed on Optimas that go below 10.5V

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Givgz4mtwZI
Old 04-07-2011, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Its been a while but i'm back....I'm not understanding how the battery charger is going to fix this issue... the battery holds a 12.**V charge now, but after I start the car and shut it off once it will just crank and crank and crank any time after but doesn't fire. Is there a battery inside the PCM that does something?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"is there a battery inside the PCM that does something?".. Short answer: NO.
Time for a scan and some logging.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like the VATS to me check that
Old 04-08-2011, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

When I originally Had the PCM programed for my application I had VATS removed because its an 84 corvette... if the battery drained to 0v are there any functions in the PCM that can enable again even though they were disabled (i.e. VATS)?
Old 04-08-2011, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ran into a similar problem with a neighbors car just the other day. can you keep the car running with some pedal input? if so I would try to drive the car around a little bit to see if the pcm can get into closed loop to help learning exactly what the motor might need as far as fueling and air.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BeemerZ28
ran into a similar problem with a neighbors car just the other day. can you keep the car running with some pedal input? if so I would try to drive the car around a little bit to see if the pcm can get into closed loop to help learning exactly what the motor might need as far as fueling and air.
Well, the car doesn't require any throttle input to stay running. Just won't start back up if I leave it shut off for more than a few min after it has been running. I can't go drive the vehicle for 20 min or so to let the computer relearn. Only thing I can do is start it up and let it get to operating temp and rev it (no windshield at the moment). I'm hoping that once I get a windshield in it and can drive it the problem will correct itself. I hope